Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Need software advice  (Read 2549 times)

southpaw13

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 31, 2020, 05:11:18 pm
  • Whatever!
Need software advice
« on: January 14, 2018, 10:59:46 pm »
My last Mame update was 130 using LEDBlinky on a 32 bit system and Mala.  Well, the computer crapped out so my new PC is a Win 10, 64 bit version, and running on a 640x480 CRT.  Will LEDBlinky work with this?  And what front end will be basic enough for my CRT and work with LEDBlinky?

Thanks for any advice out there :)

Xpendable

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 05, 2018, 03:16:45 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Need software advice
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 04:15:04 pm »
I can't fully answer your question as I am not using Windows 10 nor do I have much experience with a variety of FE's.  I have been using HyperSpin on a Win7 64-bit with LEDBlinky, and have been having problems with either LEDBlinky locking up or the I-Pac Ultimate I/O locking up over time when I have animations in use.  I've been working with Andy to try some test versions of firmware for my Ultimate I/O but haven't yet made much progress.  Lately I've been having problems where HyperSpin just ceases to accept any input at all (even from an attached USB keyboard) and I have to restart HyperSpin for things to work again.  I'm getting close to ditching HyperSpin.

At any rate, my actual advise is to just try some FE's and see what works best for you.  Which is exactly what I'm going to be doing as I get off of HyperSpin.

JamesTKirk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2018, 09:09:02 pm
  • Boldly go .....
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 02:19:16 am »
I use windows 7 64 bit and Mala and LED Blinky. It works well on two of my cabinets. I imagine you could get it to work in windows 10.
Mala is dying software with no current support or development and can be very finicky. I've been reading up in this forum on some of the newer front ends. As of right now I'm very interested in LaunchBox but there are several others out there with good support that are smaller and simpler.

southpaw13

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 31, 2020, 05:11:18 pm
  • Whatever!
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 05:27:20 pm »
I saw lunchbox too....what are some of the other smaller simpler ones that work with LEDblinky?

Thanks!

JamesTKirk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2018, 09:09:02 pm
  • Boldly go .....
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 02:30:55 am »
LED Blinky says it supports MaLa, AtomicFE, GameEx and PinballX integration via plug-in OR stand-alone operation for HyperSpin, LaunchBox, Maximus Arcade, or "any arcade Front-End (FE) software". Any arcade FE software is a pretty broad claim.

I saw this thread: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,84933.400.html

It has a big list of FEs and the new ones keep getting added despite the poll being 8 years old. I notice that many new posts are liking Launch Box aka Big Box.

Not sure how many of these FEs will work with LED Blinky, but if the LED Blinky website is to be believed, a bunch of them will.

I was reading and noticed FEEL looks really small and simple with low hardware requirements. No idea if FEEL works with LED Blinky.

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 06:45:17 am »
Attractmode has an led blinks plugin. Maybe worth a try?

https://github.com/mickelson/attract/blob/master/config/plugins/LEDBlinky.nut