Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Is this a "Purity" issue? If so, How to fix it  (Read 2177 times)

Dacasks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2021, 09:30:30 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Is this a "Purity" issue? If so, How to fix it
« on: December 21, 2017, 12:37:46 pm »
Quick question:

I have a PVM Sony, CRT monitor here... and the upper half of the screen doesn't show red as it should. Let's imagine the following:

You're playing Street Fighter 2 with Ken, which has his trademark default Red costume/Gi. So when you jump , his clothes start fading to orange, then when he backs down he's red again. Just with red, other colors are okay as far as I noticed.

Now, I don't believe this would be a degaussing issue, because it clearly doesn't seem it comes "out" of the screen, it's really annoying because it almost blends with the colors within, and after all the monitor is packed with a degaussing coil itself, and it doesn't help anything.

So, I heard it could be a "purity" issue? Even if it's just a part of the screen? If so, how could I fix it, if I could fix it, without messing up with the other colors/rest of the screen?

Thanks in advance.

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 08:06:32 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
Re: Is this a "Purity" issue? If so, How to fix it
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 06:07:17 pm »
Every issue that can be solved by degaussing is a purity issue, technically, but not every purity issue can be solved by degaussing :)

If regular degaussing doesn't fix it, and you don't have a degaussing wand, you can try turning the set off and rotating it on the flat, and powering up in a different orientation - if it was facing east, try north or south. If that doesn't work, try a magnet slightly more powerful than a fridge magnet near the screen. Nothing too powerful or you risk warping the grille. Move it around slowly while the set is on for a few seconds and see if you can get anything good to stick.

If that doesn't work, and it probably won't, then you'll need to redo the setup. Never done that on a trinitron myself and i believe it's harder and there are more steps, so read the service manual. But the principle is explained here -

Dacasks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2021, 09:30:30 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2017, 12:17:58 pm »
Every issue that can be solved by degaussing is a purity issue, technically, but not every purity issue can be solved by degaussing :)

If regular degaussing doesn't fix it, and you don't have a degaussing wand, you can try turning the set off and rotating it on the flat, and powering up in a different orientation - if it was facing east, try north or south. If that doesn't work, try a magnet slightly more powerful than a fridge magnet near the screen. Nothing too powerful or you risk warping the grille. Move it around slowly while the set is on for a few seconds and see if you can get anything good to stick.

If that doesn't work, and it probably won't, then you'll need to redo the setup. Never done that on a trinitron myself and i believe it's harder and there are more steps, so read the service manual. But the principle is explained here -

Thank you very much for taking the time answering man :)

Funny thing, I need further testing, but since I have another monitor now that I managed to adjust its focus, I decided to use this Sony PVM as a "Tate" setup, turned sideways and... It looks like the problem is gone, I don't know, or maybe I couldn't notice the problem too much with the monitor turned sideways, but yeah, I guess the solution is down that road.

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 08:06:32 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 06:48:53 pm »
Yes, going tate generally has a stronger effect than rotating a CRT like on a microwave tray. You should always rotate while the set is off, of course, and let it sit for a while. If you do otherwise and it works, great, but you'll do it to some sets and watch the colour-warp settle in and not go away until you redo the setup :)