Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New Build - Bought ArcadeVGA (Wrong decision?)  (Read 1802 times)

csnow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2023, 10:30:54 am
New Build - Bought ArcadeVGA (Wrong decision?)
« on: November 07, 2017, 07:05:08 pm »
I am in the process of converting several machines over to MAME.  These all have standard res 25" monitors.  I bought a JPAC and ArcadeVGA card for each machine.  I made the assumption that the ArcadeVGA was a good choice since the ipac and jpac boards are held in high regard.  Lately, it appears that the ArcadeVGA may have been a bad decision.  My plan is Windows 10 based i5 systems with GameEX.  I would like to use the ArcadeVGA since they are paid for.  However, if I made a wrong decision, I don't want to go down a road of hard knocks.  Would someone mind shedding a little light on what I should do please?

Not sure if it matters, but one of these machines is a horizontal build that will only have three buttons.  I don't plan on running any of the later arcade titles.  This will be Joust, Track N Field, Ghost n Goblins, etc type games.  I may have some of the 90's beat em ups.  The other machine will be a dedicated 8 way vertical cab that will have games like Zaxxon, Time Pilot, 1942. Raiden, Commando etc.  Once again, all older titles.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 07:27:49 pm by csnow »

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 08:06:32 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
Re: New Build - Bought ArcadeVGA (Wrong decision?)
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 12:18:35 am »
There's nothing inherently wrong with the ArcadeVGA cards, but crt_emudriver with any analog capable Radeon 5000-series card or newer, APU's, mobilities, etc, is cheaper and gives better bang for your buck. Which last makes zero difference in this case because MAME and GM rely 100% on the CPU, the GPU is just there to push a video mode. (This changes with emulators like demul or PC games that need a little GPU grunt.)

If Ultimarc does a Win10 driver, it should install. If not, get your money back?

The IPAC and JPAC are still awesome, either way :)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 12:32:34 am by buttersoft »

csnow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2023, 10:30:54 am
Re: New Build - Bought ArcadeVGA (Wrong decision?)
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 07:36:10 pm »
There's nothing inherently wrong with the ArcadeVGA cards, but crt_emudriver with any analog capable Radeon 5000-series card or newer, APU's, mobilities, etc, is cheaper and gives better bang for your buck. Which last makes zero difference in this case because MAME and GM rely 100% on the CPU, the GPU is just there to push a video mode. (This changes with emulators like demul or PC games that need a little GPU grunt.)

If Ultimarc does a Win10 driver, it should install. If not, get your money back?

The IPAC and JPAC are still awesome, either way :)

Thanks man, those were my thoughts exactly.  Newegg has the same AMD card for $60 while the ArcadeVGA was $89.  I didn't mind paying $30 for simplicity and ease of use.  I couldn't see a lot of graphical horsepower needed for CGA resolutions and the fact that MAME does most, if not all, of its processing within the primary CPU.