Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Computer monitor CRT vs. CRT TV vs. Arcade Monitor  (Read 21632 times)

smass

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2024, 07:46:54 pm
  • Cheapskate Arcade
Computer monitor CRT vs. CRT TV vs. Arcade Monitor
« on: November 04, 2017, 09:54:53 am »
I have used a few LCDs in my MAME builds and they have huge advantages in ease of installation, weight, and space savings.  However I do prefer the traditional arcade monitor look, I just don't want the hassle of cleaning up, re-capping, and maintaining an older arcade CRT if I can get close to the same look with a CRT computer monitor or CRT TV.  Also, I seem to be able to still find these types of monitors in good condition, virtually for free on CL.  I currently have a couple of CRT computer monitors with VGA input - two 19" and a 17".  I think the 19" ones support up to 1600x1200 resolution.  I also have access to a few CRT TVs with s-video input.  These would be much lower resolution.  I am curious about the pros and cons of these vs. an actual arcade monitor in a MAME application. 

The CRT computer monitors would be the easiest to use in a MAME cab as they have VGA input.  I know the higher resolution is not an advantage with MAME, but the curved screen would look more like an arcade monitor.  I also know MAME can be setup to emulate scan lines and such.  I am also aware of the ArcadeVGA card.  Does anyone have feedback on using one of these VGA monitors for a MAME machine?  Can you get close to authentic visuals with a standard video card or do you need to go the ArcadeVGA route to truly emulate a arcade monitor?

Using a CRT TV would require a video card that can output to s-video.  Is there any advantage to using a CRT TV vs. CRT computer monitor?

I guess I am just looking for a good trade-off in ease of maintenance, close to authentic arcade picture quality, and availability.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 09:57:11 am by smass »

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
Re: Computer monitor CRT vs. CRT TV vs. Arcade Monitor
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 10:30:49 am »
Size, probably. If someone wants a big monitor, they'll probably have to go with a CRT TV. However, I did manage to pick up a 31" CRT computer monitor several years ago. But if your project is calling for a 19" monitor, can't go wrong with a computer monitor.
%Bartop

AndyWarne

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2021, 03:37:09 am
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 12:51:44 pm »
Put simply, the difference is the line spacing.

A standard res monitor scans around 240 lines and games which used these can display exactly as the originals on a line-by-line basis,

A PC monitor cant display only 240 lines, it is 480 or higher, therefore a line-by-line display is not possible.

csnow

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2023, 10:30:54 am
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 01:01:24 pm »
There is a reason people deal with the issues you stated you wanted to avoid with arcade monitors.  Arcade monitors are a pixel perfect presentation . I tried the LCD path and hated it.  An arcade cabinet with an LCD or TV is like playing a 4 way game with an 8 way joystick.  Sure, it will work but it is clunky and awkward.   If you going to use a LCD, TV, or computer monitor then stick with the games that were designed for those devices.  I do have a CRT TV that I use for retro consoles.  I try to keep things as close to original as I can.  Its all personal preference.  Some people love LCD arcade machines.  Others, like myself, abhor them. 

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 06:38:28 pm »
I would only suggest a CRT TV if you wanted to go with a really big monitor, and then you might want to consider the hacked X-Box route instead of a PC (probably get a much better picture than you would with an old TV-out card).

I actually like a VGA crt instead of a real arcade monitor for mame. I have a whole basement full of real arcade games with standard resolution arcade monitors (and a couple mono-vector ones), and my Mame cabinet actually has a D9200 tri-mode monitor in it (and at one point had an ArcadeVGA video card), but I just run it in VGA mode all the time. The games might not be pixel perfect, but they look great and I am not having to tweak the monitor settings all the time or go through lots of video setups.

While they have really dried up the past 5 years you can still find nice 21" CRT PC monitors for free or near to free, and they are the perfect size to fill the bay of a classic sized arcade cabinet. They have a tube only a fraction of an inch larger than the standard 19" arcade monitor (measuring standards were different in the two industries).

I would save the real arcade monitors for the real games.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

voltz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 14, 2018, 01:17:59 am
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 08:33:09 pm »
I'd just like to add for vga monitors we can use hdmi to vga converters with them when it comes to newer gaming consoles. 
Moff's the Stuff!

cnsf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 30, 2023, 05:31:20 am
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 12:45:48 pm »
I converted from CRT to LCD because I had problems with the light guns using CRTs (weird refresh rates, scan line issues).  I found great Dell 4:3 LCDs on eBay and have been fine with it.

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:04:40 am
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 01:09:49 pm »
I converted from CRT to LCD because I had problems with the light guns using CRTs (weird refresh rates, scan line issues).  I found great Dell 4:3 LCDs on eBay and have been fine with it.

True light guns only work on CRTs.  It's why I still have a 37", 250lb monster set up in my rec room.

Thinking of something else?

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 03:18:32 pm »

Well, Ive never come across someone saying that before LOL

Vincefaro

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 09, 2023, 04:52:36 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Computer monitor CRT vs. CRT TV vs. Arcade Monitor
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 11:56:55 am »
There is a reason people deal with the issues you stated you wanted to avoid with arcade monitors.  Arcade monitors are a pixel perfect presentation . I tried the LCD path and hated it.  An arcade cabinet with an LCD or TV is like playing a 4 way game with an 8 way joystick.  Sure, it will work but it is clunky and awkward.   If you going to use a LCD, TV, or computer monitor then stick with the games that were designed for those devices.  I do have a CRT TV that I use for retro consoles.  I try to keep things as close to original as I can.  Its all personal preference.  Some people love LCD arcade machines.  Others, like myself, abhor them.
I️ agree . Once you have a proper CRT monitor in your machine , you will see why people deal with all of the issues they have . It is worth it . If I️ did another cab, I️ would not consider an LCD , the Games  simply don’t look right , I️MO
I️ have all the bells and whistles on my machine , LED buttons , 2nd marquee monitor Led lit control panel . But if I️ had to just have the bare minimum , it would be my controls , buttons , and my CRT Arcade monitor . That is saying something after my first WG D9200 died on me and I️ had to search for another monitor . But it is worth it .
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 12:02:30 pm by Vincefaro »

ChurchOfSolipsism

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 01:43:39 pm
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 04:23:02 pm »
Once you have a proper CRT monitor in your machine , you will see why people deal with all of the issues they have . It is worth it . If I️ did another cab, I️ would not consider an LCD , the Games  simply don’t look right , I️MO
I️ have all the bells and whistles on my machine , LED buttons , 2nd marquee monitor Led lit control panel

I have no intention of criticising you - each to his own and I'm sure you're super happy with your cab - but IMHO what you posted demonstrates how this is all up to taste. Mame games with good HLSL settings on a high quality LED monitor look totally acceptable to me, but I would never install LED buttons on my cab or light my cp since it's nowhere near the aesthetic of a classic arcade cab.

IMHO, the real problem with getting picture on LED monitors halfway authentic is the relatively high cost of a good gaming rig; you need a comparably beefy PC to run HLSL.

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:04:40 am
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 12:37:43 pm »
IMHO, the real problem with getting picture on LED monitors halfway authentic is the relatively high cost of a good gaming rig; you need a comparably beefy PC to run HLSL.

And that is the crux of it.  To do it well, you also need a very high resolution monitor, which again, ups the requirements for driving it.  And after all of that, you end up with a "reasonable facsimile" of the thing which modest systems, graphics cards and a CRT can deliver (at least for raster-display games.) 

What folks are willing to accept goes beyond preference, IMHO.  It's heavily weighed by an individual's point-of-reference.  If they are younger, and never really played the old games in the arcades, they really have no reference for how they are supposed to appear.  Folks who did, and are doing all of this to recreate the look and feel of the game, would be less likely to accept LCD as a display medium.

Of course aesthetics of the build and space limitations come into play as well.  Some designs simply can't accommodate the bulk of a CRT, so that can also be a factor.  And if the rig is intended to be used as a "catch all" for a broad spectrum of gaming and entertainment, LCD starts to make more sense.

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2017, 03:37:29 pm »
But what exactly is the real difference? Are there any comparisons online (is that even possible)?

Is it just preference (because it looks more authentic)? Or is it actually "better"?

I didn't play too many arcades that I still can remember, but I played consoles on CRT's a lot. And yes, the games need scanlines, but apart from that I see no difference (for consoles that is). 

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2017, 01:07:45 am »
But what exactly is the real difference? Are there any comparisons online (is that even possible)?

Is it just preference (because it looks more authentic)? Or is it actually "better"?

I didn't play too many arcades that I still can remember, but I played consoles on CRT's a lot. And yes, the games need scanlines, but apart from that I see no difference (for consoles that is).

The scanlines is a huge point. Lag is another. Playing Super Mario on an LCD is unplayable. I tried it once and threw my controller in frustration. You will fall in pits left over and over again if your used to playing on crt.

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2017, 03:57:32 am »

The scanlines is a huge point. Lag is another. Playing Super Mario on an LCD is unplayable. I tried it once and threw my controller in frustration. You will fall in pits left over and over again if your used to playing on crt.

Ah thanks!

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 20, 2024, 04:36:20 pm
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2017, 08:32:27 am »
What do people think about scan line generators? I have used a mini SLG on a LCD for a build but never on a computer CRT. I would think that would get pretty close to the original at a fraction of the effort and price.

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2017, 12:37:59 pm »
What do people think about scan line generators? I have used a mini SLG on a LCD for a build but never on a computer CRT. I would think that would get pretty close to the original at a fraction of the effort and price.

I used a Craftymech SLG on a 60 in 1 build that used a CRT PC monitor and I was really happy with the results. They weren't pixel perfect but it looked great.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

ChurchOfSolipsism

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 01:43:39 pm
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2018, 11:50:57 am »

I used a Craftymech SLG on a 60 in 1 build that used a CRT PC monitor and I was really happy with the results. They weren't pixel perfect but it looked great.

Seconded. They don't replace CRTs, obviously, but it looks pretty damn decent.