Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Volume Knob Not Working  (Read 3928 times)

Csdoplr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 03, 2018, 10:31:13 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Volume Knob Not Working
« on: September 23, 2017, 05:28:36 pm »
Could someone please help me out? I have a jamma 60-1 board and everything is hooked up and works great. Only problem is the speakers and amp I installed play one constant volume. I cannot control the level of volume on the amp knob. It has no response the only way to change volume is in the board settings. Any ideas on why this is?
Thanks!

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2023, 01:46:23 pm
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
Re: Volume Knob Not Working
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 06:00:28 am »
There's a volume control pot on the 60-in-1 pcb - I think it's orange or blue. The PCB has a built in amp too, so it's not ideal having 2 amps like you have, but I also have this setup in my MAME cabs. If I plug a PCB into it that has a sound amp on it (most do), I simply set that to the lowest volume possible and use the cab amp knob to control volume. Seems to work fine.

Csdoplr

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 09:32:17 am »
There's a volume control pot on the 60-in-1 pcb - I think it's orange or blue. The PCB has a built in amp too, so it's not ideal having 2 amps like you have, but I also have this setup in my MAME cabs. If I plug a PCB into it that has a sound amp on it (most do), I simply set that to the lowest volume possible and use the cab amp knob to control volume. Seems to work fine.

Ok thank you so do I just plug that wire from the jamma harness onto the amp or the speaker?

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 10:13:12 am »

Ok thank you so do I just plug that wire from the jamma harness onto the amp or the speaker?
Since the 60-in-1 has a built in amp, you just need to connect the JAMMA harness wires directly to the speaker.

Csdoplr

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 05:27:06 pm »

Since the 60-in-1 has a built in amp, you just need to connect the JAMMA harness wires directly to the speaker.

Yes thank you but I would like to be able to use the volume knob on the amp since the PCB board is hard to reach. How would I be able to use the amp to turn the volume up and down. Thanks

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 05:34:30 pm »

Yes thank you but I would like to be able to use the volume knob on the amp since the PCB board is hard to reach. How would I be able to use the amp to turn the volume up and down. Thanks
Like I say, I do it by turning the volume pot on the PCB down to the lowest level possible - not fully down otherwise I doubt your cab amp will get a signal at all, so no sound. Then you should be able to control volume using the cab amp. If you still can't control volume using the amp knob, there must be something else wrong.

Csdoplr

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 05:44:21 pm »
What does the volume pot look like?

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 05:48:16 pm »
What does the volume pot look like?
It's a small, round, orange (or maybe blue - can't remember) thing, located just behind the VGA socket, I think. Has a cross in the top so you can adjust it with a small screwdriver.

Csdoplr

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 06:12:21 pm »
I did that thank you but still nothing.

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2017, 06:38:13 pm »
Are you saying that adjusting the pot on the PCB doesn't alter the volume?

How have you got your cab amp fitted? Have you got the 2 speaker wires from the edge connector going into the amp, and the amp wired up to the speaker?

Csdoplr

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2017, 06:45:24 pm »

How have you got your cab amp fitted? Have you got the 2 speaker wires from the edge connector going into the amp, and the amp wired up to the speaker?

I have 2 speakers. They each have a black and red stereo wire on each speaker going into the amp. Then I have the jamma white wires on each speaker as well.

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2017, 06:54:49 pm »

I have 2 speakers. They each have a black and red stereo wire on each speaker going into the amp. Then I have the jamma white wires on each speaker as well.
Unless I'm misunderstanding you, that doesn't sound right at all. The best thing to do is post a pic of your amp and label where each wire connected to it leads to. Also, IMO, there's not much point in having 2 speakers as the JAMMA standard is for mono sound only.

Csdoplr

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2017, 07:45:18 pm »
Here is what I have.

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2017, 01:00:03 am »
I could be wrong, but I don't think you need a separate amp on the 60-in-1 board. It has a built in amp. Wire jamma 10 and L directly to speaker. Be sure 12v is getting good power as it's likely used for the onboard audio amp. Check dips and software menu while in game if it has one.

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2017, 07:10:17 am »
By the looks of those pics, you don't have any input going into the amp, so no wonder it doesn't do anything. If the white wires are the ones connected to the edge connector, they need to go into the amp, not one to each speaker like you seem to have. That amp isn't really suitable either, as it takes stereo phono input. JAMMA is mono. One with screw terminals would be better.

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2017, 08:21:04 am »
I could be wrong, but I don't think you need a separate amp on the 60-in-1 board. It has a built in amp. Wire jamma 10 and L directly to speaker. Be sure 12v is getting good power as it's likely used for the onboard audio amp. Check dips and software menu while in game if it has one.
Yeah, they do have built-in amps. We discussed this above.

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2017, 09:57:12 am »
Yeah, they do have built-in amps. We discussed this above.

So why is he hooking amplified audio up to a separate amp?

Csdoplr

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2017, 09:22:26 pm »
By the looks of those pics, you don't have any input going into the amp, so no wonder it doesn't do anything. If the white wires are the ones connected to the edge connector, they need to go into the amp, not one to each speaker like you seem to have. That amp isn't really suitable either, as it takes stereo phono input. JAMMA is mono. One with screw terminals would be better.

Ok so how do I hook these white wires up the amp as the amp only has clips for the red and black stereo wires.

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2017, 05:52:14 am »
The clips are output wire to the speakers. The inputs are the red and white phono sockets. You're going to need to get a mono-to-stereo splitter cable like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1M-MONO-PHONO-RCA-PLUG-TO-2-SIGNAL-SPLITTER-AMP-SPEAKER-Y-CABLE-CAR-STEREO-LEAD-/230339170018?epid=1788243976&hash=item35a148cee2:g:8scAAOSwCQZZAaGZ
Then you need to cut off the mono plug and solder the 2 speaker wires coming from the JAMMA edge connector to it.

[edit]Actually, instead of cutting the plug off, it would probably be simpler to solder the wires directly to the plug. I think the speaker+ wire goes to central rod of the plug, and the speaker- wire goes to the outer ring.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 05:59:53 am by big10p »

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:01:05 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2017, 01:30:10 pm »
oy vey.  :banghead:

your 60-in-1 has a headphone style plug on it, right next to the VGA connector labled "J1".

plug in a 1/8" inch to RCA adapter or cable and feed your audio from there... into the RCA input of your amp.

do whatever with your speakers and wire them into your amp.

ignore the amp on the board itself and the white wires on your harness. cut or tie them out of the way.

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2017, 02:11:50 pm »
I didn't know it had a headphone socket. I trust this thread is now dead. Please.