Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: newb controller setup help  (Read 1469 times)

arcadejuinkie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 16, 2022, 09:11:55 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
newb controller setup help
« on: September 06, 2017, 11:12:14 pm »
Ok I know I'm a newb and I did try searching for my issue and didn't have any luck so hoping I can get some advice here..  I was able to do some trade work for mame system a few years ago and thus began my journey into this awesome hobby.  I never really had to work on the system but now I've done some upgrades....now I'm stuck and because I didn't build the system I'm a little lost on where to start.

My system was running fine on xp but for a number or reasons I decided to move to win7.  I did this by unhooking the old HD and putting in a new one and did a fresh install.  This leaves me the old drive as reference but a blank new drive for configs and software....but I don't know where to start.  My current problem is around my controls.

I have a controller card that reads  x-wiz ECO ST/MAX my problem is that when I try keywiz3w7 it says connection failed....I even tried the gp model as I also have two spinners and it says I don't have device installed.  So I'm lost...I don't know where to go to start setting up my button config so that I can use in gamex or hyper spin.  Can somebody help me out or point me in the right direction?  I couldn't find much help on their website so I'm turning to the group.  TIA!

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Re: newb controller setup help
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 04:11:13 am »
Is it being recognised by windows? Have you looked to see if it registers in device manager?
It should work straight away without software as long as windows sees it.

arcadejuinkie

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 16, 2022, 09:11:55 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 07:44:36 am »
Well I feel a little stupid.....the machine has been up and running for some time now and it was never seen in device manager or under printers or devices.  But low and behold it is now seen as gp-wiz 40.  I was in there before I ever posted this and it wasn't there.....  I can go into test mode but one thing I found odd there was around the player 1 joystick.  Down/left/right all worked  however up registered as button 23 which to me seems off knowing again that it worked fine in windows XP and nothing on the hardware level has changed.

So now I have that and then still not knowing the next step in setting it up for my mame games or other games.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 10:10:36 am »
LOL god bless computers!

The next step will be to set your key configs.
That is a decision you have to make based on how you want to use the machine, which emu's etc etc.

Once you have decided that program the device accordingly and then install all your software.

If you dont know which emus etc require which controls look that up first.

Once all installed its the long task of configuring all the keys in each emu, setting up your front end etc.