Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Powering off from groovymame  (Read 1593 times)

Edglaf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 03:38:27 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Powering off from groovymame
« on: August 02, 2017, 01:46:42 pm »
Just a question,

I am running Groovymame in Groovyarcade, I’ve managed to set up things so that CRT screen, CPU, marquee lights, and PC speakers, are turned on just by pushing a single power switch (I even manage to set my motherboard bios with “resume after power failure etc), so it works beautifully.

However, when one is fed up with playing and it`s time to go to bed…, Can I securely power off the whole cabinet the same way while running advmenu or groovymame (not loading) without causing damages to the installation or to the sata hard disk?

Up to now I’ve been shutting down in a “civilized way” by pressing the PC power off button, and afterwards I switch off the whole thing (otherwise the other elements remain on).

thanks!

krick

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2023, 08:30:27 pm
  • Gotta have blue hair.
Re: Powering off from groovymame
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 02:29:51 pm »
Here's the easy way to do it where there is really only one button that controls everything...

First you need a "smart" power strip like this...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JPDYYSM
...this is just one example, there are many on the market to choose from.

You plug your PC into the "control" outlet.
You plug the rest of your cabinet into the "switched" outlets.

Then, you get a momentary push switch like this...
https://www.radioshack.com/products/spst-3a-pushbutton-switch
...and you wire it up to the power button on the PC.

When you push the button, the PC turns on, then everything plugged into switched outlets on the power strip will turn on.

When you push the button again, the PC shuts down (safely and correctly), then everything plugged into the switched outlets will turn off.

EDIT: At least, this works in Windows.  I assume that other operating systems would also have the same shutdown hook linked to the power button.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 02:31:39 pm by krick »
Hantarex Polo 15KHz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 2GB (GCN)
GroovyMAME 0.197.017h_d3d9ex
CRT Emudriver & CRT Tools 2.0 beta 13 (Crimson 16.2.1 for GCN cards)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.8GHz
ASUS Z87M-PLUS Motherboard

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 08:06:32 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 10:38:49 pm »
+1 to Krick's post. That's what I do with my cabs. Then turn the power off too, when not in use, of course. But it allows you to power everything off and close down windows so problems don't arise.

Edglaf

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 02:07:19 am »
Thanks to both of you,

I'm not using Windows but groovyarcade, arch Linux based distro.does it apply equally?

Edglaf

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 04:51:50 am »
Risky trials return, up to now (after having done it 3 times), satisfactory results:

I've switched off while in advmenu. When the power is back the boot time seems to be the same. Cannot see if a chkdsk-windows-like application es performing HD sectors, cluster or whatever integrity tests because i'm using a scart TV without arcadevga. I suppose it does not.

While in groovymame, sudden swith-off and later power back shed identical results.

I figure out that once everything is loaded into ram memmory and the HD is not working in reading/writing processes, apparently, one can switch off securely this way?

If anyway a hardware-software damage may result from this action, what if I burn the whole install into a DVD? would this discard risks as broken-files creation is just not possible?

CLues, advices and opinions are highly appreciated  :)