Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Retron 77  (Read 2365 times)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Retron 77
« on: June 16, 2017, 01:08:33 pm »
You guys see this?

https://www.engadget.com/2017/06/13/atari-2600-retron-77/

I was all in until they mentioned the 80 dollar price tag.  Let me get this straight, a console that's less sophisticated and much less popular costs 40 dollars MORE than the retron 1 hd?  Also it doesn't play 7800 games, which seems to be an obviously dumb move.  If you make a 7800 clone 2600 games automatically work, so why wouldn't you?

This coupled with the ataribox teaser makes me wonder if people are losing their minds in the gaming industry. 

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:44:38 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
Re: Retron 77
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 01:11:16 pm »
"Atari 2600 fans get the revival console they deserve"

:laugh2:

The one you want?  Forget it.

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 01:23:07 pm »

And the sad part is that they're not replacing a dead console like the NES.  It's damn near impossible to find a reliable NES now.  Even the top loaders are crap now.   A 2600 that still works? That's not too hard to find and you won't pay $80 for it.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 05:02:33 pm »
No offense, but you must live in bizarro world or something Chad.  A nes is virtually bulletproof except for the cart connector (5 min bending the pins out or a 10 dollar replacement part).  VCS's on the other hand are at the age to where the caps and resistors are at their limit... it's why most people play on the 7800 at this point. 

That isn't to say that you can't still find a working 2600, you can fairly easily, but they are just now starting to fail while the nes consoles are going strong mostly due to the fact that they are slightly newer.  They are both fairly robust units, but comparing one to the other.....

If anything though a 2600 clone is more needed than a nes.  At least the nes does composite out, which is the bare minimum you need to connect to a modern tv.  The 2600 looks like utter garbage on a lcd tv and that's even compared to the rather lousy nes composite output. 

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 06:53:46 pm »

Back when I was doing console repairs I went through probably 75 NES.  They were a total pain in the ass to get back to 100% reliable.  Swap the connector, mod the 10nes, nope.  Still only like 50%.  Recap the power supply, maybe 75%.  I'm not sure I ever got one back to 100% reliable (first time every time) in all of those instances.  Not once.

People claim they can do it but I've never seen a 'refurbed' NES that worked like new.  I bought quite a few of those, too, to see what people were doing to them.  Everybody would get it back to 'good enough' and call that a win.  It's not.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 07:23:48 pm »
The only thing I've ever had to do is take it apart and clean all the connectors and make sure that every single game in my library has clean connectors.  Every NES I've gotten works fine.  If you are really having trouble you can disable the lockout chip, but I've never had any need. 

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:44:38 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 09:56:38 pm »
I'm with chad on this one.  God bless my ancestral top loader and Famicom mini.

Laythe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 02:52:10 am
  • "-smurfing- delivers." - Yots
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149109.0.html
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2017, 03:04:20 am »
Only one way to settle this, obviously.

Chad, you have to wager a nice car that Howard can't start his refurbished NES on the first cartridge insert 10 times in a row; if he fails, we chop off his little finger...    :lol