Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: MAME without consoles?  (Read 2396 times)

Paradise

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2020, 10:37:55 am
MAME without consoles?
« on: June 01, 2017, 05:51:05 pm »
A long time i did not look at MAME. Now i found out that MESS and MAME is merged.
Is there a way to just view the arcade games?

What about Clrmamepro?
Do i need to have now every console/ game on my HD to verify a ROM set?
If yes, how many gigabyte is that?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 07:57:51 pm by Paradise »

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2022, 12:32:13 pm
  • danny_galaga is my mail man.
    • N.A.M.E. - arcade cabinet project
Re: MAMA without consoles?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 06:59:32 pm »
Yes the project has somewhat merged. However, you can play only arcade games if you wish by simply just downloading and using MAME. Mess ISN'T required to play. A complete MAME 0.186 merged romset will set you back 57.623GB of space. A non-merged complete 0.186 set will cost you 124.014GB of space. CHD files not included. Now you will have bios files, and other miscellaneous files included in the set that arent "playable" but are part of the set for documentation. It is up to you to determine what you wish to keep/discard should you want to do that.

You dont need every console/game on your HD. But yes you do need certain roms/romsets to verify a game(in other words to make sure you have every needed file for it to run correctly). As we cant discuss where to acquire such things for legal reasons, you'll have to seek that out across the vast the universe that is the innertubes. Good Luck, have fun and GAME ON!

Paradise

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2020, 10:37:55 am
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 07:44:47 pm »
I know how to get the stuff. What i don't understand is how Clrmamepro handles it if the games are not there?
Because to verify everything is complete/correct with the old MAME you had to get all the games (roms).
Also i don't see how to view only arcade games in the new MAME.

haynor666

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 03:17:30 am
  • retro maniac
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 03:18:49 pm »
Yes the project has somewhat merged. However, you can play only arcade games if you wish by simply just downloading and using MAME. Mess ISN'T required to play. A complete MAME 0.186 merged romset will set you back 57.623GB of space. A non-merged complete 0.186 set will cost you 124.014GB of space. CHD files not included.

Actually whole MAME split set packed with 7zip will be 52,5 Gb. With standard zip probably around 70 Gb and for me split set is still the best way to keep MAME roms (split set packed with 7zip is still smaller with merged set packed with zip).

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:10:09 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
MAMA without consoles?
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 03:57:18 pm »
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***