Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Question regarding control programming with U360/Joy2key/xpadder  (Read 2070 times)

killbill

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 03:18:07 pm
  • When I die, I want to go to arcade heaven!
Hi Guys,

I'm at the point in my project where I'm getting ready to program controls for all the emulators. I'm going to be using two U360s with the 8 button harnesses. I'm running pretty much all 8 bit and up emulators. Had a couple questions:

1. At this point I only have one U360 joystick. I don't have the harness for it yet either. I know the answer is probably no, but using Joy2key or Xpadder, can I begin to set the controls for each emulator before I pick up the other stick and both button harnesses, or do they all need to be hooked up to be able to do it? I'm trying, if possible, to get the system ready so that when I get the other stick, both harnesses and buttons, I can just plug them in and it's all ready to go.

2. Do you use Joy2Key/Xpadder for all emulators on the system, or is it best to use the default key layout in MAME, and then use J2K/Xpadder for all the rest? I'm trying to figure out the best place to start in terms of creating a layout.

I've not looked forward to doing this. For some reason it seems a bit daunting to set it all up correctly so that everything works and is controlled right. Any advice and info is truly appreciated. Thanks.

Oops, should have probably put this in the Software forum.  :)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 12:09:08 am by killbill »

SlyBlueFox

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 29, 2023, 12:11:50 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Question regarding control programming with U360/Joy2key/xpadder
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 10:50:07 am »
1. I have a U360 & haven't setup all my emulators yet with Xpadder/J2K. I only really use MAME at the moment in which you can go ahead & write up a ctrlr file for so you don't have to mess with a keymapper.

2. I use the ctrlr method for MAME. I assume most emulators have built-in joystick support now so maybe do it within the emulator to eliminate any 3rd party apps or if Xpadder/J2K is required, set it up at that time. If using RocketLauncher, set it all up wihtin that so it switches profiles correctly within your frontend.

killbill

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 03:18:07 pm
  • When I die, I want to go to arcade heaven!
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 03:06:04 pm »
Hey SlyBlueFox,

Thanks for the info.

MydknyteStyrm

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 20, 2024, 12:19:41 pm
  • Makeup FX Gamer
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 12:04:08 am »
I use 4 U360s, two Aimtraks, trackball, spinner and a driving wheel. Set up Mame with a ctrlr file so the IDs don't change when you reboot. For other arcade emus like Demul and SM2, you can program them directly, although I recommend using J2K for SegaM2 since the emu crashes when you try to change the analog controls.
For consoles I use Xbox360PC controllers which can all be set in each emu. I really only use J2k for Hyperspin control, and PC games that can't be set in the menus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro