Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: GGG Electric Ice Helio 9 lighting flicker  (Read 1029 times)

lowlytech

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2019, 08:12:12 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
GGG Electric Ice Helio 9 lighting flicker
« on: April 15, 2017, 12:43:54 pm »
I have a control panel I am finally starting to wire up and I have the LED Wiz board with the electric ice buttons and I notice on some of the games the buttons light up with quite a bit of flicker.  Almost like a bad neon bulb or something.  Is this normal for some colors to look that way.  Granted the next game the colors change (with ledblinky) and will not flicker, so it is like only certain colors or intensity shades have this issue.

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:51:50 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
Re: GGG Electric Ice Helio 9 lighting flicker
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 01:01:12 pm »
I've heard a couple of people (out of many, many users) make this comment.  It's not an issue with the Helio9's, and not something I have seen.

Some folks are very sensitive to PWM lighting, and can see flicker where others can't.  The same folks are also often disturbed by the flicker of fluorescent lighting.

Make sure you have a good power supply.  If the power levels are sagging, and/or or the supply is overtaxed, then the rise time of the voltage may be long enough make this more noticeable.

Also, as you stated, with different color settings, you don't see flicker.  Setting the colors to a higher intensity will be better for folks who are more sensitive to the PWM.

lowlytech

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2019, 08:12:12 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: GGG Electric Ice Helio 9 lighting flicker
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 08:30:01 pm »
Thanks for confirming this.  Your right, I absolutely despise fluorescent lighting, very harsh to my eyes.  I will see if I can tweak the colors.ini file and see if I can find a value that minimizes this effect.   The power supply is a corsair 430 watt running an LGA 1155 i3.  I could hook it up to a watt meter to see the pull, but I would assume i am somewhere in the 150 watt range.