Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Minimum specs for mame GLSL on linux and performance tests  (Read 1861 times)

master higgins

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2017, 11:08:17 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Minimum specs for mame GLSL on linux and performance tests
« on: April 15, 2017, 11:07:15 am »
Hi, sorry for not posting so often. I just wanna know what are the specs to run GLSL effects on mame on a linux machine.

I've tested the following so far in the following HW specs:

• CPU: Athlon II X2 250
  • GFX Card: Saphire Radeon HD 4830 512MB
  • RAM: 6GB
  • GLSL Shader: CRT_Geom with glsl_plain
  • Game tested: Cabal
  • Result: Runs smoothly (100% speed)

• CPU: Athlon II X2 250
  • GFX Card: Saphire Radeon HD 4830 512MB
  • RAM: 6GB
  • GLSL Shader: Lottes_CRT with gls_plain
  • Result: Runs very choppy. (20% speed)

• CPU: AMD A4 5300 APU with HD Graphics
  • GFX Card: Radeon HD 5450 1GB
  • RAM: 4GB
  • GLSL Shader: CTR_Geom with gls_plain
  • Result: Runs slow. (50% speed)

This one I don't remember exactly the CPU
  • CPU: AMD Athlon XP 64 (two cores. I think it's 3GHz)
  • GFX Card: Geforce 8400GS 512MB
  • RAM: 4GB
  • GLSL Shader: CTR_Geom with gls_plain
  • Result: From what I remember runs very slow. (15% speed or less)

I was looking for GFX card performances here and I saw that starting from the Geforce 8400GS V2 in the relative performance section of the page the performance of the Radeon HD 5450 card is about the double (206%) and the performance of the Radeon HD 4830 is about 7 times greater (711%).

I bought an Nvidia Geforce 9600 GT which is listed with a 562% of relative performance over the Geforce 8400GS V2 (and is more than double the performance of the radeon HD 5450 which runs cabal at 50% speed). So in theory, this card should run cabal at full speed.

What do you think about these numbers?

Do you find it weird that CRT_Geom is so slow in linux with those specs (the Geforce 8400GS ones)? Did I miss something in the configuration?

BTW, I'm using mame 0.174 which is the last that supports the hiscore patch in the traditional way (I compiled the source code by myself)

Any evidence of running GLSL effects with similar hardware to the last one listed with 100% speed? Something different?, like the mame version, gfx card used, OS configuration (xorg.conf and such)?

I hope you can shed me some light on this. They say CRT_Geom is the fastest shader for GLSL on linux but I didn't think it needed such high hardware requirements.

Looking for your commments.

Thanks in advance
Greets!

mourix

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:53:16 am
Re: Minimum specs for mame GLSL on linux and performance tests
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 08:28:48 am »
Come on, cards like the 8400gs and hd5450 cost 40 dollars new in 2008 and 2010 respectively, which makes them the weakest cards to possibly get. You really want something decent for GSLS.

If we keep it at the 2008 era HD4000 series for comparison, Lottes_CRT likes a top end card like the HD4870 to run well, and CTR_Geom a medium end one. I have tested these with core 2 duos and quads from that era.

These cards are really cheap to get, and if you want something that produces less heat you can get a more recent HD7000 series if it needs to stay cheap.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 08:30:20 am by mourix »