Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Genesis Road rash in a Hang on cabinet  (Read 2497 times)

muell67

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 23, 2021, 02:12:01 pm
Genesis Road rash in a Hang on cabinet
« on: March 30, 2017, 02:50:05 pm »
So I just got a hang on cabinet (havent picked it up yet) and I was thinking of putting a jamma wired sega genesis into it so I could play road rash. Does anyone know how the handlebars in that cabinet work? Are they analog or just a left and right switches? 
I don't know if you know this but I'm sort of a big deal. I own many leather bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:31:27 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
Re: Genesis Road rash in a Hang on cabinet
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 06:42:47 pm »
Stand up or sit down? thats kind of cool, share some pics and build when you get it.

Found this, might help http://www.gamesdatabase.org/Media/SYSTEM/Arcade//Manual/formated/Hang-On_-_1985_-_Sega.pdf

Looks like they might be pots and not switches.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 03:13:23 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 11:58:35 pm »
So I just got a hang on cabinet (havent picked it up yet) and I was thinking of putting a jamma wired sega genesis into it so I could play road rash. Does anyone know how the handlebars in that cabinet work? Are they analog or just a left and right switches?
They are analog.

Pgs 11, 12, 25, 38, 41, and 42 of the manual that 05SRT4 linked to confirm that there are potentiometers for "brake", "accel" (acceleration) and "angle". (steering)

You can find all three on pg 42, lower right.

Just look for the schematic symbol.

Scott

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:58:32 am
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 12:44:42 am »
You would prefer to put a pc in there so that you will not only be able to play tons of riding games in that cabinet, but you will also handle the digital-to-analog  control problem more easily.

FeR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2019, 08:49:20 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 10:19:13 am »
What a wonderful idea!! I would love to play it like this and wonder how do you will make that work with Road Rash being digital??

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:58:32 am
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 12:57:40 am »
It will work as you said: digital. You will need to define the best feeling point at which the handlebar position will trigger the input.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 12:59:47 am by baritonomarchetto »