Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Restrictor plates and Ultimarc Servostik Question  (Read 1921 times)

vaderag

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 16, 2023, 05:11:02 am
  • Building my own cab :)
Restrictor plates and Ultimarc Servostik Question
« on: March 20, 2017, 03:33:26 pm »
Just had my first ever delivery of arcade hardware delivered from Ultimarc - super exciting.

I've never owned or had extensive time to play with such stuff so have a question about the restrictor plate on the servo stick

So clearly i know the difference between the 4 and 8 way, but what I'm seeing is that even on the 4 was in the diagonal direction i can connect the two switches rather than only being able to connect one. I was just wondering if this is right, or if the restrictor plate should really prevent making contact with the switches except in exactly those directions?
I guess the latter was what i expected, but not sure if that's the reality!

Thanks!

vaderag

• Offline Offline
Re: Restrictor plates and Ultimarc Servostik Question
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 08:07:10 am »
Nobody? Must be tons of people who can at least tell me if a restrictor plate should prevent touching both contacts entirely at the bare minimum?!

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 09:42:53 am »
Is the joystick just touching the switch actuator lever? Or is it physically actuating two switches at one time? Have you verified with a meter or input test? If two switches are being actuated simultaneously in 4way mode, bend the actuator levers back towards the switches slighty until you no longer get two switches actuating at the same time.
%Bartop

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 09:52:19 am »
Is the joystick just touching the switch actuator lever? Or is it physically actuating two switches at one time? Have you verified with a meter or input test? If two switches are being actuated simultaneously in 4way mode, bend the actuator levers back towards the switches slighty until you no longer get two switches actuating at the same time.

From your comment then i'm guessing it is definitely not supposed to be activating both until it hits the side.

I'm pretty confident that it's actuating both as i hear the click from both. I havent verified with a test input yet as I'm still some ways from having my CP finished and havent started putting it all together.
But yeah, they both click in 4 way mode at the flat side (except on one side where there is a little nub of plastic from the molding process which seems to prevent it going fully there)

Hadnt thought of bending the levers - guess that makes sense, just got to be careful not to bend too much so that they don't still activate in the 8 way mode... :)

Thanks!

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2018, 02:19:23 pm
  • Ron Howard? . . . er, I mean . . . Run, Coward!!!
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 10:00:19 am »
I'm not an expert, but it is really more about feel than absolutely not having two switches engage.
It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go. - R. Travis.
When all is said and done, generally much more is SAID than DONE.

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 10:08:19 am »
I'm not an expert, but it is really more about feel than absolutely not having two switches engage.

Nope. It's completely about not having two switches engage. Old 4 way games don't play right when this happens.
%Bartop

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2018, 02:19:23 pm
  • Ron Howard? . . . er, I mean . . . Run, Coward!!!
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 11:34:50 am »
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=35227.0

Old discussion, but if you are talking about hooking the joystick up to a Donkey Kong PCB, you are likely correct.

In MAME, there is Sticky Mode or Non Sticky Mode code that decides what to do if a diagonal is pressed.  It may guess wrong, but it won't lock the game up.
It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go. - R. Travis.
When all is said and done, generally much more is SAID than DONE.

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 06:20:08 pm »
It may guess wrong, but it won't lock the game up.

Aka... Won't play right.
%Bartop

AndyWarne

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2021, 03:37:09 am
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 11:51:37 am »

The Sanwa TM-8 and UM-8 joysticks which this is based on do activate 2 switches in 4-way mode for a small part of the travel. But these sticks can be tweaked if required. The switch actuation point can be changed by careful bending of the switch levers and this overlap can be eliminated.

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 11:59:17 am »

The Sanwa TM-8 and UM-8 joysticks which this is based on do activate 2 switches in 4-way mode for a small part of the travel. But these sticks can be tweaked if required. The switch actuation point can be changed by careful bending of the switch levers and this overlap can be eliminated.

Thanks Andy.