Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Next project started! Operation mini big red.  (Read 6581 times)

Titchgamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Next project started! Operation mini big red.
« on: January 19, 2017, 07:30:25 am »
Ok so as most of you may know I have been planing a build to pag homage to the iconic big red arcade machine that is the Neo Geo MVS.

Now I aint got the room for a big red so its going to be a bartop, My first ever!
Only ever done upright and table before so its going to be new for me.

Because of its small size and me wanting it to be easily transported and used by anybody I have decided to go for a Pi for this instead of my usual PC methods.
The Pi will be custom configured running Retro pie to play only neo geo games, be friendly and intuitive to use for anybody and be child proofed (hopefully!)

I have 90% of the stuff but a few things left to order and collect and I plan on getting this thing done by Mid feb but we will have to see!

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 07:34:13 am »
So first steps Painting the cab.
The ms wanted to get involved with this one (she likes to take a interest in my dabbling bless her!) so she has been charged with painting the pre made MDF flat pack.
Yeah ime lazy and dont have the room to cut my own so flat pack it was ;)

Shes just finished the primer and shes going to be getting the red paint on the next few days hopefully.

Sadly ive run out of clear coat so She will be waiting on that to arrive before the paint job canbe finished.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
Re: Next project started! Operation mini big red.
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 07:41:13 am »
While shes been painting I have been doing the head scratching stuff.
Started building/programming the Pi.

So Pi built:

Next step is to start getting it the way I want so as it takes a while installing packages etc I multi tasked and watched some Vikings :D

So some time and much bloodshed later my set up is looking basically the way I want it.

So not much else I can do at this point until my power circuit arrives from Mausberry circuits and the Ms has finished her painting tasks.

So next steps will be to install the power circuit on the Pi, build up the cab and start the real work....

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 02:13:36 am »
Small update today.
Clear coat and shut down circuit still not arrived so no real progress made on the actual build.

But I decided to make a concept CP and wire it up to try and get the Xin Mo to work with the Pi the way I wanted.

Que 4 hours of head scratching and hair pulling!

So i wired up all the sticks and buttons as per the diagram and as the xin mo mimicks a ps4/xbox controller I went and got the standard layouts off the web and "converted" the button layout to match that of a neo geo system.

All wired up I plug it in and boot up the Pi to discover it only recognises 1 controller not 2.
No biggy really half expected that so a quick google and I find the code I have to add in to the command line to get it to recognise as 2.

Now the headaches start....
So firstly I cant edit the cmd line, I quickly discover that my KB's F4 key is not working so I have to go and track down another one.
Which meant pulling my big cab away from the wall, opening it up and disconnecting it which is more of a PITA than it sounds...

So new KB hooked up, file edited and 2 controllers recognised and I am away! Well at least I thought I was...

So After mapping the controls I open up a game and I have buttons and sticks doing all sorts!

P1 & 2 sticks are inverted, p1's stick is directionally inverted and start and credit buttons are also inverted.

WTF....

So after checking wiring etc I conclude this is not my cock up but something to do with the actual controller/pi.

So I found a option in the settings to swap sticks which put p1 stick back with p1 buttons etc except they are now on the wrong sides ie p1 on the right...

So anyway I go into retro arch config and manually re map the buttons so all the directions and buttons are correct.

Only one last challenge now.
Changing the quit button to use 1 button instead of 2....

Compared to the frustration of the last problem this was minor really.
I found the option to change them fairly quick and did so.
Tested and working! Yay!
At least until I quit the game and the settings reverted back!
Grrr....
So anyways hour of buggering about later I managed to get the settings to save properly and all is working as should.

So later when I strip it all apart again I am going to label each QD so I can connect them back on for hassle free set up when I install the CP properly.
Also invert P1 and p2 controls so they are on the correct side of the CP.

Lessons learnt from this...
Stick to what you know, Mini Pacs are much much easier!!

KLRinstinct

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2021, 11:35:00 pm
  • Burrrrn baby burn
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,152916.0.html
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 10:22:31 am »
What an adventure hey lol. Nice work sorting it. I was gonna use a RasPi initially. Pretty cool aren't they. Actually it was after discovering that thing that led me on to building a cab.Think I'm gonna use the Xin Mo too and go with 4 singles. Have you had a chance to have a few games with them yet? No lag issues or anything? People seem to be critical of them coz they're cheap. I reckon ALL encoders SHOULD be cheap coz technology is cheaper these days. Hell, you can get a touch screen mobile for 20 bucks now, bit more tech in that than a simple encoder board.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 12:54:25 pm »
They are amazing little devices for the money.
I have not had a proper play yet but I have not noticed any noticeable lag buggering about.

They are cheap and chearfull but i defo prefer the mini pac lol

woosdom

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 07, 2020, 12:48:51 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 12:58:14 pm »
if you could do a quick run through of how you took care of the control configs that would be awesome.  i have had issues with the xin mo and zero delay pcbs  with the pi.  i kind of gave up on them and just use them for my pc instead, but it would be nice to put those back on the pi and get something better for my pc setup.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 02:44:19 pm »
if you could do a quick run through of how you took care of the control configs that would be awesome.  i have had issues with the xin mo and zero delay pcbs  with the pi.  i kind of gave up on them and just use them for my pc instead, but it would be nice to put those back on the pi and get something better for my pc setup.

Which bit mate or the whole thing?

It was a rather long and pain staking process if I am honest. I changed many things to get the thing working the way I wanted.
But heres the basic steps.

1) Add the following line to the end of the line in the Command Line .txt file in the boot folder:
usbhid.quirks=0x16c0:0x05e1:0x040
This basically allows the Pi to see the xin mo as 2 seperate controllers instead of 1.

2) Reboot the Pi and then set up PLAYER 1 ONLY in the normal emulation station controller config.
For some reason if you set up P2 as well it goes wrong and it does not control the navigation properly.

3) If you are useing Liberto emulators (the only ones I have used so cant comment on others) You can set up core and game config files.
To do this load up a game and hold down Select and Press X (default) this will open up the Retroarch RGUI.
You can go into the controls menu and change the keys to whatever you want.
If you then go save core remap it will save those buttons for every game in that emu.
If you want to save them on a game by game basis click save game remap.

The game remap will overide the core remap if you have one saved.

Other than that its just allot of experimenting etc.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 04:16:17 pm by Titchgamer »

woosdom

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 07, 2020, 12:48:51 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2017, 04:56:51 pm »
thank you.  i will try that as soon as i get a chance. 

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 02:57:07 am »
Another minor update for today.
Just finished theming the GUI.
Was pretty straight forward once I worked out which style sheet was which and what was what.
Only minor changes but makes all the difference :)

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2017, 08:40:06 am »
Well this got put on hold a little due to that annoying "Life" type crap but made some more progress today and hope to get rolling on it again properly to get it playable by next weekend.

So anyways my power circuit arrived and so I decided to get some wires soldered on.

Been a long time since I soldered anything onto a PCB and admittedly I was a little nervous of slipping and messing sumat up (not helped by the fact ive got a cold!)

But all went ok and although not exactly a pro job not bad considering lol

So next job was to plug it into the Pi and configure it.

Gota go to work now so no time to configure but its plugged in and waiting!

So tomorrow I will get it configured then all being well the weekend I am going to start putting the cabinet together now everything has been painted and clear coated.

Things are slowly coming together....

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2017, 07:34:44 am »
So few small updates for today:

1) finished configuring the Mausberry power down circuit, turned out to be very quick and easy now working great turning on and shutting down no probs :)

2) Modified a decal for my power button.
I wanted a illuminated power button to make it stand out from the others so people dont accidentally poke it while playing as its on the front with the coin buttons.
So I decided to go with a white ultra lux and modify a exit decal from spares I had from Slim.
Looks ok I think considering I hacked it with a stanley knife lol

3) Thought when I had the pi on I would treat myself to some dodgeball for the high score comp...
Except it wasn't there! Not sure why but I added it then had to manually put in the meta data as no scrapper found it.
Notice also the minor changes I made to the theme to better match the colour scheme..

4) Thought I would cut the bezel, Was off to a good start then got nudged by my dog causing me to slip with the knife :(
Doh!

Moral of story kick dog out next time, Need new mounting card now....

Think thats it for today, Colds still giving me ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- and ime feeling pretty drained :(

Oh yeah and I got the T moulding in, forgot about that :p
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 07:36:15 am by Titchgamer »

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2017, 01:22:45 pm »
Well ive been busy gophering away today.
Things started off well but sadly didnt proceed that way!

So I got the CP vinyl on, controls mounted and wired, speakers mounted and power switch etc wired up all groovy.

Next phase was cab assembly.
First problem I come across is after the the panels had been painted they are tight as a ducks arse to get in!!

Anyway that problem resolved the next problem I come across is although this kit was done on a CNC the top panel some how does not seem wide enough so atm I have a small gap either side of it.
Not sure how I am going to fix that atm either assembly blocks to pull it in maybe or worst case scenario filler and paint but we will see.

Tbh I figured a kit would be much easier to work with as I dont have the space or the good weather to  do the woodwork here at home but there are many things I would of done differently!

Either way ive got it so I will use it.

So next steps obviously getting all the power and sound system wired up and then final clean up etc.
Oh and mount the monitor.
But it is starting to take shape and this is how we are looking atm:

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2017, 03:42:47 pm »
Well its been a total bastard of a day what with one thing or another!

So firstly a pants day at work.

Then on to project I wired up the IEC socket to the mains lead and then cut the bezel (dogs outside this time :p ) spot on job except for turning around mid job and slicing the tip of my finger on the stanley knife that was sat on the cutting mat!
Then bleed all over the house as it spurts everywhere trying to find a dressing.
Settled on insulation tape...

Anyway that mess cleaned up and bezel stuck in place I then mounted the monitor and test run...

At this point I discover 2 of the buttons are sticking ---fudgesicle--- !!

So it turns out I cut the bezel to long on the bottom (intentionally but...) yeah it was catching the buttons.
So monitor back out, bezel trimmed and reassembled.

Another quick test and everything is groovy!

So next thing wire up the sound system that all went smoothly and now....

Its Alive!!

Still lots of tidying up to do etc but its a relief to be at this point.
The only trouble is I have got some life type ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- going on now so wont be able to do anymore on it for a few weeks but still not bad progress.

mafiafan123

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2022, 01:13:01 pm
  • i'd buy that for a dollar
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2017, 12:00:51 am »

Then on to project I wired up the IEC socket to the mains lead and then cut the bezel (dogs outside this time :p ) spot on job except for turning around mid job and slicing the tip of my finger on the stanley knife that was sat on the cutting mat!
Then bleed all over the house as it spurts everywhere trying to find a dressing.

Anyway that mess cleaned up and bezel stuck in place I then mounted the monitor and test run...

So it turns out I cut the bezel to long on the bottom (intentionally but...) yeah it was catching the buttons.

Its Alive!!

The only trouble is I have got some life type ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- going on now so wont be able to do anymore on it for a few weeks but still not bad progress.

Do you ever have an issue with someone hitting power in the front ?

I almost did that but moved it to the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2017, 02:20:40 am »

Its Alive!!

Not so far but its not had any major use.
I dont foresee a problem though as 1 its illuminated and 2 you have to hold it for a second.
Oh and it only works when on the home screen lol

mafiafan123

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2022, 01:13:01 pm
  • i'd buy that for a dollar
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2017, 11:11:48 am »

Its Alive!!

Not so far but its not had any major use.
I dont foresee a problem though as 1 its illuminated and 2 you have to hold it for a second.
Oh and it only works when on the home screen lol

Nice that's not bad considering you have to be on the home screen, looks great.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2017, 06:06:45 pm »
Thanks, Its getting there :)
Its on hold atm due to life stuff (new carpets getting fitted and house currently in boxes lol)

But I got the marquee light installed before it got packed away.

I cut a old 2ft cat 2 defuser down to size that i nabbed from work and bent it into a sort of U shape.
Then installed a 12v LED strip on the side facing away from the marquee and voila!

Nice even lighting :)

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2017, 06:17:23 pm »
looks really good!

You locking it down to strictly MVS, or are you going to add other games?
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2017, 04:14:23 am »
Thanks Malenko :)

Nah its locked down strictly to Neo Geo games.

But I may do a secondary SD card with MAME etc on it to.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2017, 06:24:12 am »
Ok well I finally got around to finishing this.
Its been a long learning curve but I am finally happy to call it a day on it.

So I have now applied the vinyl logos to the side, installed speaker grills (which I had to get from china they were such a odd size!) touched up a few bits and most important fitted some T moulding to the front marquee edges.
Why was that inportant to me you ask? Well because I hated the look of the painted MDF edge right in front of  your face!
So I had to install T moulding.
Sadly the guy who made the flat pack did not cut T mould slots and I never thought about it till after so I wanted to stick some on.

I gave this some thought over a few days about how to go about it after reading a thread on here with some horror stories.
Glue was off the cards, panel pins were never in the deck and after much consideration I decided to stick with what I know works on most stuff...

VHB tape!

So first I carefully cut the spine off the T moulding:

Then I carefully stuck the VHB tape to the T moulding nice and square before trimming it to size:

Then installed:

Sticks fine and looks great, hell you cant even tell its stuck on with tape unless you go looking down the edge of the T moulding which nobody is ever going to do LOL
It would be totally invisible if I had black tape but mines grey.
If anyone ever decides to do this make sure you have the thin stuff btw, not the thicker tape otherwise it would be very noticeable.
Suppose you could always paint it if needed...

So yeah all done now ime going to play some KOF and metal slug :p

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:31:27 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2017, 05:56:02 pm »
You did an awesome job with this one  :applaud: :applaud:
I like the GUI theme

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2017, 06:57:10 pm »
Thank you.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 09:54:06 am
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2017, 03:36:03 pm »
I think this came out before you were a BYOAC regular:
! No longer available

I get it stuck in my head sometimes...

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2017, 05:24:34 pm »
WTF did I just watch... LOL

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:39:09 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2017, 06:06:15 pm »
You just know that turns into straight up porn once the camera turned off. :o