Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: "out of range" image from Groovymame on Blaupunkt IS 55-31 VT  (Read 2355 times)

kendjet

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2022, 06:49:30 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
"out of range" image from Groovymame on Blaupunkt IS 55-31 VT
« on: January 15, 2017, 08:26:14 am »
Hi all,

My problem: I recently picked up a PAL Blaupunkt IS 55-31 VT but I can't get a decent 240p (288p actually) signal on it from a Radeon HD4650 using an UMSA VGA to Scart adapter.

The image I get looks like the one you're seeing on a TV when the groovymame PC is booting up (i.e. feeding a 31kHz signal to a 15kHz TV)

When I launch groovymame and start a game in 240p, it displays fine on all of the Sony CRT TV's and professional monitors I got. With the game still running, I just unplug the SCART from one of Sony TV's and put it in another Sony TV. This works fine but it doesn't when I plug it into the Blaupunkt. I'm using the "monitor generic_15" option in mame.ini.

I also know that the TV can handle 240p fine because my PAL Super Nintendo / SNES (which can only output 240p afaik) works fine.

Any idea what the problem could be?

Thanks!

kendjet

• Offline Offline
Re: "out of range" image from Groovymame on Blaupunkt IS 55-31 VT
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 09:54:32 am »
Dumb me... Just found the issue... Seems I had to press the "AV" button (although this TV set only has 1 SCART input).

The colors and geometry are really good on this one although there's a slight annoying kind of wobble which I don't have on any of my Sony's... Guess I can't fix this since I don't have it using the SNES.

Might this be fixed using another Radeon?

Thanks all!

Paradroid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 12, 2024, 07:24:24 pm
    • SCART Hunter
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 06:07:57 pm »
Nice score! Lovely TV...

Yes, it's really easy to get great geometry with that era of Grundig chassis. There are trim pots inside to control all the main parameters. Lovely stuff!

The only downside is the wobble: I never worked out how to eliminate it (it's the TV, not your computer setup.)

One thing I never tried was disconnecting the degauss coil. On some of the Sharp TVS I've RGB hacked, disconnecting the coil makes the image rock solid. Guess the thermistor is leaking some current...

Sent from my SM-A300Y using Tapatalk

My MAME/SCART/CRT blog: SCART Hunter

kendjet

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 05:40:39 pm »
Great info, thanks a lot Paradroid!

And ... keep that site going man, I love it :-)

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:03:28 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 06:10:52 pm »
... keep that site going man...

He needs to post more often ;)