Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Zenith color tube g-a63adg25x - Resolution Help  (Read 3855 times)

Saraph

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 11, 2016, 03:23:49 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Zenith color tube g-a63adg25x - Resolution Help
« on: November 19, 2016, 08:58:35 pm »
Hello! When trying to map controls to finish up an arcade project I started a year ago I accidentally hit quickres (since I was looking for some way to manually map j-pac) and it selected a resolution, possibly due to a double click on my part, and now I can't get anything to display except static. Please help, I've been moving this PC to a monitor, selecting a low resolution, and moving it back for over 3 hours with nothing to show for it.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 05:15:21 pm by Saraph »

Saraph

• Offline Offline
Re: Zenith color tube g-a63adg25x - Resolution Help
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 05:14:42 pm »
Well, I had to leave where I was working on the arcade. I'll have to go back in two weeks to try and resolve. In the mean time, what do you all think of this? I have two applications that I used to get the ArcadeVGA card to work, TriSync and Quickres. I managed to get it all working a year ago but this client wanted an updated set-up software wise so I put on a new front end and with that came retroarch, which replaced a good amount of emulators that were on there.

If anyone wants to theorize about this with me, feel free!

grantspain

• I personally prefer "bog trotter"
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:44:40 pm
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 01:49:58 am »
do you have a raster?
if not i would suggest the horizontal output transistor is short circuit

Saraph

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 07:25:15 pm »
I would say no to the raster, not sure what that is.

My best bet is going back after the holiday break and hooking up another monitor to it and cycling through until I get to the resolution this thing will work under.

I may be wrong though in trying that out and hoping for a positive result. What are the settings people typically use for a display like this?

Saraph

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 08:17:44 pm »
Hello! Heading back to try and fix on Thursday. Was hoping to have a good base on where to start. :)

I'm open to using different software to set the resolution too! What do you guys use?

burn_654

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 03:31:13 pm
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 12:30:58 pm »
Here's what I do often for those tricky 'blind' situations -

Download tightvnc http://www.tightvnc.com/ and install it on the cab pc while you can see what's going on (when a common pc/lcd monitor is connected.) Install it as 'server' here. You'll be prompted to create an id and password to login to this computer.

Install tightvnc on another computer or laptop. You only need the 'viewer' option. Check that you can use tightvnc to connect to the arcade pc with that id and password. If successful, now you can now remote control the arcade pc and view the screen contents.

Once tightvnc is set up you can login, plug in the arcade monitor, and change resolutions with quickres remotely until you hopefully see something on the cab monitor.

Just a suggestion, it's been really helpful for troubleshooting crt setups when windows isn't showing/is garbled  :) I'd start with 320x240 and 640x480i modes if available. This assumes the monitor itself is working properly of course.

Saraph

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2016, 03:20:07 pm »
Thanks burn_654! That's a great suggestion and I may just use it! :)

Here is a video of what is happening. The tube works, it's just not working on its own right now...

burn_654

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 03:31:13 pm
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2016, 10:26:04 am »
It looks like it's currently using a lowres mode when both screens are on/duplicated it but doesn't know what to do when it initiates video with the solo display - it thinks it's a standard resolution monitor. This would be something that (in the crt_emudriver world) would be solved by creating an EDID for the arcade monitor, not sure if ArcadeVGA can do that. But barring that, I would definitely try the remote approach, I had almost the exact same problem when I was doing an arcade crt rig with an nvidia card/soft15khz - I had rolling screen until I remoted in with quickres to change it, it was trying to feed the monitor too high a resolution.