Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Control panel question  (Read 3104 times)

knid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2018, 07:10:18 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Control panel question
« on: November 17, 2016, 10:35:00 pm »
I am currently in the process of building my first cabinet and am looking to set up my control panel and I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping you guys can help me out with.

right now I have the holes drilled for a two player six button configuration with a button for one and two player select. I still have to add a coin in button and exit button but am not sure where to add them. In additon to Mame, I want to run snes and sega emulators on my system as well.

So here are my questions

1) is there a preferred placement for the coin in and exit buttons on the control panel?
2) should I look at adding extra buttons for the start and select  functions for the snes and sega emulators?
3) regarding mounting my control panel to my cabinet. I was planning on screwing it down from the bottom, but am wonderiing if I should make it removeable. There is a fair amount of space under the panel so access isn't so much of an issue

thomas_surles

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
Re: Control panel question
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 10:58:48 pm »
2) use player start as start and coin as select.

wasted0101

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2021, 02:29:55 pm
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 11:13:15 am »
For # 1 and #3 there are a ton of ways to accomplish your task. Personally I would start here and decide which look you like. http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,59359.0.html
For #2 If using an Ultimarc you could use the shift function, I am not sure if the other encoders offer this option.

knid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2018, 07:10:18 pm
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 12:29:01 pm »
Thanks for the info.  I bought a joystick and button set up from X arcade so I'm not sure what kind of encoder they use.
I'm trying to keeep my control panel fairly clean so I'm skipping on any trackballs or spinners but when I drilled the holes for my control panel I had a realization that I would need some additional buttons to exit the game I was playing and for start and select functions. I wasn't sure if there was a generally approved area to place them on the control panel.

Also is it always necessary to route in an area for an undercount joystick or can I flush mount it to the back of my panel?

I'm a big time noob in regards to building cabinets and obviously have questions.