Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Talk to me about g27 pedals...  (Read 2453 times)

shaolindrunkard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 11:13:43 am
Talk to me about g27 pedals...
« on: November 16, 2016, 10:50:07 am »
So I don't own a g27, never have. I'm beginning work on my twin (now triple) racing cabs. My plan is to try to use the original Happ wheel assembly. But pedals I'm more flexible on. Now I have the original Happ pedals that came with the cabs (see image below). These are nice and heavy duty for sure, but mine are very rusty and what not so I would have to clean them up quite a bit. Plus I want to move them to the center of the cabs so that would involve some cutting and modifications to the cabs themselves. Not a deal breaker but will require some work. Right now these are the front runner.

I would love to use the Sega style pedals which I have 2 pairs, but that would involve extending the floor on the cab and heavy modification which I don't really want to do...

Then there's the G27/25 pedals. The real reason I like the idea of these is that I can invert and separate them. The Happ pedals are a little close together. It would be nice to be able to space the pedals out a bit. Now the question is, are they nice and heavy duty in your opinion? I don't think there is any way they are as tough as the arcade pedals, but are they very well made? I mean can they take a lickin' and keep on tickin'?

Thanks

dramaone

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2018, 03:48:53 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Talk to me about g27 pedals...
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 12:48:13 pm »
Ive removed my g27 pedals from the plastic case and mounted them to a sit down cab and they are really solid, no concerns about giving them some welly.
The wiring behind them is a bit flimsy but other than that all good.

Im not sure if i would trust them mounted inverted out in a public place but for home use where you are unlikely to kick the feck out of the them left right and centre they are good.

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 02:22:43 pm »
Thanks for the reply, yeah that's exactly what I was thinking of doing. And it would be for a home arcade setup so most people would be respectful I think. Just want to make sure they are fairly sturdy...

Scassidy24

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2023, 11:56:34 am
  • I love my Nostalgia Machine
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,150379.0.html
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 03:50:16 pm »
I have a g27 which I've owned for years, never modified it but just FYI the g27 comes with a clutch pedal which is stiffer than the brake, which is stiffer than the gas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scassidy24

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 03:51:17 pm »
I have a g27 which I've owned for years, never modified it but just FYI the g27 comes with a clutch pedal and 6 speed shifter

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2016, 04:37:10 pm »
Oh yeah I know, I figured I'd just use the gas and brake. Thanks

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2016, 04:37:39 pm »
I have a g27 which I've owned for years, never modified it but just FYI the g27 comes with a clutch pedal which is stiffer than the brake, which is stiffer than the gas

Do the pedals feel sturdy to you?

Scassidy24

• Offline Offline
Talk to me about g27 pedals...
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2016, 04:39:47 pm »
Rock solid , sorry I think the brake was stiffer than the clutch as it should be

ant2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 02:36:51 pm
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2016, 11:51:36 am »
Check out my build link : http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,148617.0.html

I separated the pedals, reverse mounted them on wood and carpeted.
While taking them off you can get a stiffer/ more realistic brake spring mod. Then I moved the old brake spring to the clutch.
Definitely worth while,  the spring was about £15 or less.

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2016, 11:59:08 am »
Check out my build link : http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,148617.0.html

I separated the pedals, reverse mounted them on wood and carpeted.
While taking them off you can get a stiffer/ more realistic brake spring mod. Then I moved the old brake spring to the clutch.
Definitely worth while,  the spring was about £15 or less.

Nice, thanks for the info man, I was actually wondering about that. Since I am only gonna use the gas and brake I was thinking maybe I could change the spring in the clutch pedals and make an extra set of pedals, I have 3 cabs so if I can pull that off I would only have to buy 2 sets of pedals...