Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Logitech Z623 audio for bartop arcade - too much?  (Read 2935 times)

AndersHP

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 02, 2017, 02:27:57 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Logitech Z623 audio for bartop arcade - too much?
« on: October 19, 2016, 02:00:43 pm »
Hi, just working on a little bartop arcade, the philosophy for it is a bit like "keep it simple", so I went the Raspberry Pi way.

I'm right about to buy a Logitech Z623 audiosystem for the arcade, since this has been recommended a lot of places, and I always wanted to have a bit of extra focus on the sound, BUT I am having second thoughts.

Does anyone know how crammed it will be inside the arcade (looks like the PSU and amp-part is quite big), and what about the heat dissipation? I mean, a normal stereo amp gets hot even when it's idle, and since I'm going for a setup with no fans, do you think the heat from the amp will make the pi suffer too much inside the cabinet?

I know the question is a bit specific, hoping for a quick answer though, since I'm stalling the seller a bit...

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:01:05 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: Logitech Z623 audio for bartop arcade - too much?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 01:10:09 pm »
bartop+big ass woofer = no bueno.

How would you plan on cramming that giant sub into a bartop?

Please note, removing the woofer from the cabinet and just mounting it in the cabinet absolutely will not work. The enclosure is tuned for that specific speaker so that they work together to provide a proper audio response curve... I don't know how big you plan on having this unit, but putting it into a random enclosure will result in, at worst, a terrible sounding bass response curve, if any at all. at that point you may as well not have it at all.

You'd almost have to build the cabinet around the existing woofer enclosure (or build a replica of it's exact displacement in the cabinet) in order to utilize this system.

Only you can decide if this is right for your plan.

UEDan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 10, 2019, 05:54:08 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Logitech Z623 audio for bartop arcade - too much?
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 01:23:56 pm »
Don't see the need as most gaming audio isn't anything spectacular.
Some 2.0 speakers is plenty in my opinion.