Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Use an Arduino to trigger COIN pin on JAMMA harness?  (Read 3427 times)

sn0zc0r3

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 14, 2016, 07:50:56 pm
Use an Arduino to trigger COIN pin on JAMMA harness?
« on: October 14, 2016, 04:59:16 pm »
Please excuse my ignorance, but I'm a noob at best when it comes to voltage/wiring/etc, but I'm working on an idea I have and I'm trying to figure out how to trip the COIN pin on a JAMMA board to add a token to the machine.

I've wired a JAMMA fingerboard to act as a middleman between the cabinet and the arcade board and have wired an extra wire to pin 16 that goes to a pin an Arduino board. Then, I would use the arduino to send send a signal and trip the pin to add a token.

In theory, this makes sense in my head, but so far it's not working and my first thought is that maybe I don't have the right voltage to trip the pin on the JAMMA harness, or if an Arduino can do it at all?

Thoughts?

UEDan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 10, 2019, 05:54:08 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Use an Arduino to trigger COIN pin on JAMMA harness?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 06:24:53 pm »
Add a relay?

Instead of a light, connect 1 pin to ground and the other to the coin pin.
Turn on for half second then off.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 06:30:36 pm by UEDan »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:14:06 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 06:57:41 pm »
I would use the arduino to send send a signal and trip the pin to add a token.
By "send a signal" you mean applying ground to the JAMMA input just like you would when pressing a button, right?

If the Arduino is unable to pull your JAMMA board input to a logic low (JAMMA boards are active-low devices), you should use a solid-state relay like UEDan suggests.

InfantSorrow used one here to connect a coin recognizer (your Arduino) to a ZD encoder. (Pin 16 + ground on your JAMMA harness)

Scott

sn0zc0r3

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 14, 2016, 07:50:56 pm
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 07:25:40 pm »
Yup, I'm an idiot and didn't explain it correctly. It doesn't "send a signal" but grounds the input upon triggering. I also found out that I needed to connect a ground from the Arduino to the JAMMA adapter.

I soldered a wire to Pin 1 on the JAMMA adapter and inserted it into one of the grounds on the arduino. I also realized I actually had the other soldered wire on Pin 15 instead of 16 on the adapter. That said, it worked! It triggered the test menu successfully.

I took the adapter back to my soldering station, soldered the wire to pin 16 instead of 15, tried it again, and got zilch. I'm a bit more lost now. Why did it work for the test menu on pin 15 and not when it's wired up to pin 16?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:14:06 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 07:58:29 pm »
Why did it work for the test menu on pin 15 and not when it's wired up to pin 16?
Might be a bad connection.

Did you check the resistance? (with power off, of course)

You can also try coining-up by touching the arduino end of the wire on Pin 16 to ground on the JAMMA harness. (takes the Arduino out of the loop)

Scott