Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Will you help me with my other dream--opening a roller rink in London, ON?  (Read 1442 times)

lcmgadgets

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2023, 01:46:12 pm
  • Can u guess what game this image is from?
Hello to all my fellow byoac'ers. Its been a little while since I've posted here. Hope that you are all doing well, &, as always, thanks to all of you who have supported me and my son (for those who don't know our story, I won't retell it--I don't feel like bringing anybody down).

First, the Legacy Project is not dead, but has been on a rather extended hold. I have done some further google sketchup drawings of it, and bought a positional rifle, but I have been busy with another project, that I am about to detail here (I will get back to it, perhaps before the end of the year).

Some of you know that I went back to an old love of mine in 2012--roller skating. I would never have guessed that 4 years later I & my son would be skating every opportunity we could get, skating harder & doing more (I'm sort of a hybrid figure-disco skater) than ever before (especially considering my age--52), travelling as far as 7 hours to visit the beautiful roller rinks in the US (Guptills in New York, in the 7 hour case--highly recommended), or that we would become part of an extended family of dedicated roller skaters, some of who have been involved with it since the 50's.

I've also become part of a group that is trying to open a full time roller rink here in London, ON. & that's why I'm posting today. We skate in a community centre right now, & those of you who have experienced a real roller rink know that there is no comparison. We have a lot of what we need to make it happen: a business plan, a hardwood floor (in storage), experienced staff to manage it, rental skates, a pro shop, a potential building available for rent, even a google sketchup (done by yours truly) of what it could look like if we used that building mentioned.

What we lack is cold, hard, cash. So after exploring several ways of raising the funds necessary with limited success, we launched a GoFundMe campaign yesterday, &, yes, this is my shameless way of asking you to donate--& no amount is too small. If you're interested, check out www.gofundme.com/skateonlondon. You can also see my google sketchup of Sk8land (working title) there.

&, if you feel like helping further, spread the news of what we're attempting, & the link to the campaign. That would help as much as actually donating.

Again, thanks everyone, & I look forward to starting back on 'Legacy soon.

"Godzilla is a warning. A warning to each and every one of us. When mankind falls into conflict with nature, monsters are born."
Professor Hayashida

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
What I think will make it an expensive venture is the personal accident insurance.  Roller rinks in the UK....  I do not think it will catch on.  A skateboard park with some of that rubberized flooring to minimize broken limbs would work.

Roller rinks would only make a financial venture if the roller derby scene came back. The WWF fans would like it.

If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

lcmgadgets

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2023, 01:46:12 pm
  • Can u guess what game this image is from?
What I think will make it an expensive venture is the personal accident insurance.  Roller rinks in the UK....  I do not think it will catch on.  A skateboard park with some of that rubberized flooring to minimize broken limbs would work.

Roller rinks would only make a financial venture if the roller derby scene came back. The WWF fans would like it.

Our glorious leader, the grand imperial poobah of all things roller skating in western Ontario, has already worked the insurance into the business plan. He's been consulting with an insurance company for some time about this, & has already worked out all the bumps.

Roller rinks in the UK? This is London, Ontario, Canada.

And roller derby IS big in Canada. It's not like it was, though. No banked track, much, much less violence, & way less theatrics.

That video is a blast!

And hey, no pressure!
"Godzilla is a warning. A warning to each and every one of us. When mankind falls into conflict with nature, monsters are born."
Professor Hayashida