Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: PVC Racing / Flight Rig for VR  (Read 2527 times)

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:56:22 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
PVC Racing / Flight Rig for VR
« on: September 14, 2016, 08:43:44 pm »
Hey guys,

I'm stoked I get to start a thread in the Driving & Racing thread.

So about 3 weeks ago I purchased the HTC Vive. Been playing a bunch of Elite Dangerous using the Saitek X52 PRO flight stick. Currently the controls are just sitting on my desk and I sit on a regular PC chair. It works but I think I would get a better experience sitting in a cockpit style setup.

Ive seen a ton of PVC builds online so I thought Id give it a go. Since I am doing this build I thought I might as well throw in a racing setup as well. I ordered the Logitech G29 wheel and pedals.

Last night I pulled the passenger seat out of my Hydro locked SRT4 (been in the garage for 3 years) Sorry I dont have any pics yet, will get them up as soon as I can.

Non VR racing Games?
So the first thing I need to test out is playing non VR titles using the Virtual Desktop VR app. The virtual desktop shows your Desktop in the headset. You can modify the size and distance of the Desktop, basically feels like your in a theater looking at a big ass screen. I read that you can trick your graphics card to think you have multiple monitors thus showing them in the headset. With that being said dont you think I would be able to emulate a 3 screen racing setup using the virtual Desktop?

DudeRegular

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 23, 2024, 10:50:27 pm
  • I have no idea what I am doing
Re: PVC Racing / Flight Rig for VR
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 10:48:45 pm »
I found a pretty decent racing setup on craigslist recently. Its the Obutto Ozone http://obutto.com/gaming-cockpits/ozone-gaming-cockpit/ Have not taken the plunge on a VR setup as I am running a GTX 760 still on my desktop. I really haven't done much to take advantage of it yet though. The kids have played some burnout and grid in triple screen. Anyways, not to thread hijack. I dropped 400 and it came with 3 23" 1080p monitors. Food for thought.

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:56:22 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
Re: PVC Racing / Flight Rig for VR
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 10:54:10 pm »
Thanks DudeRegular, I was actually looking at that site before I considered building one. You got a great deal especially with the monitors. Ill check out my local ads and see what I can find.