Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Little 'Steering Wheel'..  (Read 6141 times)

adder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2021, 10:51:51 am
Little 'Steering Wheel'..
« on: September 13, 2016, 08:08:48 am »
hi all,
i've never delved into driving/racing controls before  :D
i'm quite casual about this, im not bothered about perfection,
i've decided, that rather than have your typical standard full-sized self-centering 270degree steering wheel to play games like outrun, i would basically instead, like something small, pretty much a spinner sized device, but a 270degree spinner which self centers.  then, for the pedals in outrun, i will just assign accelerate, break, gears, to regular buttons on the control panel (as i say, it's just for casual playing, nothing serious).  so we end up with something looking like this random pic:

my question is, does anyone know if something like what i have described exists? (like a spinner, but a spinner which is self centering and is 270degrees only) ....   if not, can anyone think of good candidates regarding hacking something to make what i want?  note, in the worst case, i will simply hack a full sized pc steering wheel (remove all the casing etc, remove the actual large steering wheel, and attach a 'spinner' sized knob onto the 270degree self-centering shaft instead, so i end up with a 'mini' steering wheel   8) )

thomas_surles

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
Re: Little 'Steering Wheel'..
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 08:11:56 am »
One way would be to take apart and existing wheel, and replace the wheel with a spinner type knob. But that's a lot of guts to hide.

adder

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 08:31:50 am »
One way would be to take apart and existing wheel, and replace the wheel with a spinner type knob. But that's a lot of guts to hide.
yep im thinking i will do that if necessary, just checking if there are any existing 'smaller' devices i can work with really

if Randy did a product like that, i wonder if it would get much interest?  for people who want a 'small, compact' steering controller on their regular arcade cab control panel, and are happy to use regular buttons for gas, brake, gears..  it would certainly be a good upgrade from trying to play games like outrun using a regular digital joystick

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 11:38:06 pm
  • Flipping out
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137295.0.html
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 09:05:36 am »
Don't know if hacking one of these would work - but the joystick rotates for pole position and returns to centre.

Jakks made them

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 09:54:06 am
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 10:00:56 am »
A lot of controllers for RC cars work that way.
I also remember there being PC controllers made that way.

I've also thought about doing this.
Take the time to set up the pedal buttons correctly in MAME.
MAME can simulate analog control using a digital key press.
In the analog control section of MAME's in game menu (TAB),
DIGITAL SPEED determines how fast the virtual pedal goes from zero to fully depressed when you hold down the button.
DIGITAL CENTER determines how fast the virtual pedal goes back to zero after you release the button.
You can keep the virtual pedal floating in a certain range by tapping the button.

This is important for games like pole position, where if you mash the pedal the tires will spin and you'll lose time.

EDIT: some pc controllers I found (there were also a few for PS1)  They are all old and discontinued.  Haven't found anything currently available.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 10:06:13 am by BadMouth »

BadMouth

• Offline Offline

adder

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 10:39:42 am »
thanks guys for the nice ideas  :)

having a little mini steering wheel to turn, complete with rubber type for comfort on the fingers (and added grip), is a really good idea

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2023, 05:27:00 pm
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2016, 11:28:58 am »
I was working on a similar project awhile back but haven't got around to completing it. Think it'd be cool to find a way to make easily reproduceable cheap steering wheels for games like Demo Derby, Sprint Etc.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142286.msg1475245.html#msg1475245

I was going down the route of hacking a cheap mouse and putting it (or just the sensor) in a plastic box with an RC wheel or in an RC controller rather than wiring a UHID. Big Lots has decent mice for less than $10.

Check out the video, those rubber tire RC wheels have a great tactile feel to them. 

I also considered hacking these TopDrive Reactors, I still have them for sale if anyone is interested.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,150247.msg1569740.html#msg1569740

Games: Asteroids Deluxe | Atomiswave | Centipede | Championship Sprint | Defender | Donkey Kong | Dig Dug | Frogger | Ikari Warriors | Missile Command | Pac-Man | Pole Position | Robotron | Spy Hunter | Tempest | Super Mario Strikers

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2016, 09:38:44 pm »
That rc thing just reminded me of my last goodwill pick. I got one of those namco steering wheel controllers for the ps1 for $3. I'm not sure if it returns to center. But it could work.

I also like the little groove in it for one finger steering.

Edit: so I just watched a video on YouTube and it has force feedback.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2016, 10:24:11 pm »
My cousin had one of those.  They are ridiculous, but still work surprisingly well for racing games. 

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 05:31:43 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2016, 01:12:54 pm »
I had one too, but sold it along with my PS1 when I got a Dreamcast back in the day. The only game I ever used it for was Ridge Racer Type 4. It was a fun little novelty, but if anything it actually made me play worse.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2016, 03:01:25 pm »
Not relevant to OP's project, but there was also the NegCon racing controller for PS1.

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2016, 08:17:48 pm »
The JogCon mechanism is actually quite cool.

Its full 360 degree rotation.  (Optical)

It has full force feedback,  and can be programmed to spin either direction infinitely,  probably at different strengths.

The force feedback adds a nice touch,  as you can feel the tires lose grip / or stick...  from the controllers movements.

The problems that i have with the device:

1)  Only worked with Ridge Racer 4  I believe.  And IMO,  that version of the game just wasnt as fun or controllable as the previous games. (Where is Kick?  Arkanoid?  and other fine control games for it?  ugg!  )

2)  One would have hoped it was free-spinning when the motor was engaged... which would have made it awesome for Supersprint...
However... it uses a geared system to reduce the power and strain requirements of the motor.   The gears are audible as you turn the thing.. and puts up a mild amount of resistance when turning.  Not huge... but not free-spinnable.   Now.. if you turn it really hard and fast... it almost acts like one of those toy cars that you can rev up by rolling  (But not quite as pronounced/long running).

3)  The force is adequate to add some feel... but its a little choppy feeling, and a little on the weak side, if I recall.

4)  The finger dimple was not a good idea.   Trying to steer that way,  just doesnt work like you would imagine it would.  Ugly and unusable.

5)  Grip Bump pattern.  The bumps are a little too large, and spaced apart too far.  Its ok,  but it would have looked and felt nicer with a typical fine vertical lined edge that is seen on most spinners.

6)  The whole rest of the controller.  Its not exactly comfortable to hold the wheel + the controller + try to use the buttons... all at these odd and various angles.   They should have made it more like the Epyx Ergonomic thingamobob joystick  (you cradle the thing in one hand) ... with dual analog finger pedals (triggers).

7) I cant recall so.. but it may have had pressure sensitive buttons.   Though, they would never feel as good.. having to press hold down with good pressure for long durations, just to keep at full steam.

The NegCon was interesting... but no FFB, as far as I recall.   The long-travel analog buttons were interesting.  Though, one wishes that the brake function button ...would have remained short throw with a hard-pressure sensor.   Gas works better on the long throw.  Though.. to be realistic..  I dont think most racing games are programmed well enough to account for fine analog controls,  so its sort of wasted / useless anyway.

I really didnt like the Twisting motion at all.   It didnt feel natural.. and while it may have controlled more smooth and accurate compared to the Jogcon...  it felt so much worse to use.   Clumsy, sloppy, and awkward.

Placing a well designed spinner into an RC controller isnt a bad idea.   Especially if you hacked a pressure-sensor brake button on it.   It would make it easier to have 3 player supersprint..  (or 4 player warlords)  for most people.

As for the Mini-Analog controller wheel..  I say go for it.   Its not hard to make your own.. but you could easily hack one of the cheaper PC / console controllers have been shown.  Simply cut the shell.. and possibly replace the shaft with a longer one.  Or make a thin steel mounting plate... so that you can use most of the existing shell with its standard shaft unaltered.

It would be good to add an analog foot pedal to the bottom of your cabinet.  You could slide it out or in as desired.   Simply hack a pc pedals wires into the analog triggers of the racing controller.

And or if you really want to go all out... it would be cool to make a long-travel analog button for gas.   (or hack an existing one)

To top if off?   Maybe a micro-sized gear shifter?   :)   heh

Ohh.. and if its Outrun... then you need the actual Outrun wheel-shake FFB. 
 Attach a small dc single direction motor (drill?)  to a sliding mounting plate,  via a crank arm.  Mount the spinner to the mounting plate.

I believe the original used about a 1" travel back and forth.   Yet for the smaller wheel.. you probably want only maybe 1/4th inch max.. and may have to work a little to find the optimal matching oscilation speed.  Might need to keep the motor a little slower, or gear it down.  (I know my elder cheapo "skill" drill had a nice physical dial to lock the desired speed in).

Sorry, but vibration motors just do not feel anywhere near as violent and realistic.. as Outruns sliding wheel mount mechanism.
Simple, but very effective.. and very cool.

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 05:31:43 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2016, 05:55:19 pm »
1)  Only worked with Ridge Racer 4  I believe.  And IMO,  that version of the game just wasnt as fun or controllable as the previous games. (Where is Kick?  Arkanoid?  and other fine control games for it?  ugg!  )

Sacrilege! RRT4 is my favourite of the PS1 era Ridge Racer games. It looked amazing (for the time), played great and had one of the coolest ever soundtracks to any game. I still listen to it now. Plus, you also got the Ridge Racer Hi-Spec game (the 60fps remake of the first Ridge Racer) free with it as a bonus disc. What's not to love?

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:58:32 am
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2016, 01:23:01 am »
You are in the need for:
- 1X 5 K ohm or 10 Kohm single turn potentiometer;
- 1X Arduino Leonardo.
And you are almost good to go...

adder