Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: SNES controller hack  (Read 2313 times)

Gideon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 26, 2022, 04:36:33 pm
SNES controller hack
« on: January 18, 2004, 05:53:04 pm »
Hi, all.  I really want to use arcade controls on my SNES, and I'm looking for an in-depth guide that could help me.  I've searched a lot; believe me.  And, while I have found a few, they aren't at all complete or descriptive enough.

So, I suppose that I could start by telling you what I know, and the master craftsmen among you can tell me what is wrong with my conception of how an SNES controller works:

From what I can tell by opening up an SNES controller, each button has two conductor pads that are really close--not touching but close enough so that a signal can make the "jump".  The purpose of the exterior button is to depress an insulating rubber pad, covering both of the conductor pads, thus terminating the circuit.

Now, I'm told that arcade controls from Happ's and other similar places do the opposite:  They make a closed circuit when the button is pressed as opposed to an open one.  So, I theorize that if one wanted to hack an SNES controller, one would solder a single wire blob onto both "conductor pads" which would run to a NOT switch, which would then run to a generic pin interface (I believe you guys call them Molex connectors).

On the other hand, I have heard that those insulating rubber pads are "carbon impregnated".  Does this mean that they are actually conductors?  I don't think that carbon conducts... But, it would make more sense:  There's something vague about a signal being able to "make the jump".  Please keep in mind that my theories have spawned from a brain that has virtually no prior knowledge of electronics whatsoever!

All help will be greatly appreciated.

reighty

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 21, 2004, 09:11:16 pm
  • I'm a llama!
Re:SNES controller hack
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2004, 03:42:21 am »
You could always take apart a snes controller and take pics of the board, then post them here and people could probably tell you what to do from there.

TalkingOctopus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 06, 2023, 03:39:02 am
  • @!#?@!
    • My Arcade
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2004, 03:04:12 pm »
Yeah it is doable.  However, I would recommend making controls for your computer.  The SNES emulators are excellent and that way you could use MAME too.

I don't know of an in-depth guide for SNES controllers but hacking any controller is pretty much the same.  The rubber pads need to be scrapped off where you want to connect a wire.  Underneath will be a copper plate - connect the wire to this.  Here is a guide for hacking console controllers:  

http://members.cox.net/joysticks/

Check it out, it should be helpful, especially if you have never done anything like this before.  I recently connected arcade controls to my dreamcast and it was not overly difficult to do.

Good Luck.

Gideon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 26, 2022, 04:36:33 pm
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2004, 05:23:09 pm »
I figured there would be at least one suggestion about just using an emulator.  Well, a solution like that would be hard to argue against because it takes much less effort, but there's a defect in my mind that is dedicated to authenticity:  It's more the principle in my case, not the outcome.  So, no.  I'm afraid that an emulator isn't an option.

I just checked out the soldering section on the site you linked, TalkingOctopus; it looks pretty good!  I'll have to read it soon.  I have come across a similar site that I like.

Oh, and about taking pics of the PCB, I don't think I'll be able to for some time.  Resources are scarce.