Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Advice on building a cabinet to fit a 32 inch Sony Wega?  (Read 2910 times)

vrada501

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 18, 2016, 11:12:26 pm
  • Seeking to outlive my noobishness.
Advice on building a cabinet to fit a 32 inch Sony Wega?
« on: July 08, 2016, 07:52:57 pm »
As long as that can be done, that is. My friend wanted to try to build an 4 player cabinet soon and I offered to help . This huge, heavy Sony Wega was the only component input CRT TV our luck would allow us to find.
I might just be freaking out over nothing, but I've been getting a little paranoid of the TV being too heavy for the cabinet we build for it, enough to break it down.

So far I've done some measurements, and planning out. The TV measures around 35 inches wide, 26 inches tall, 24 inches from front to back with the plastic it on, we thought out putting it in there decased, but we don't have the guts to do that from the dangers of it (Even though I do know about how to discharge them), we might go as far as taking off just the back plastic though. We were hoping to make the cabinet around 70 inches tall, wide enough on sides to provide an extra inch or 2 of space for the TV. We would also like the TV to be slightly tilted. We might make a separate stand to go in front of the cabinet to hold the control panel so that were more able to move it in or out of rooms if need be. We plan on using sheets of Plywood from Lowes. Also, we plan on gluing AND screwing it together, especially for the shelf for the TV and that's where I'm having a little trouble planning.

So far all I could think of is Screwing and Gluing some tilted wood bars to the sides of the cabinet to hold the shelf that will be holding the TV, and then doing the same thing to that shelf, thinking that would give it more strength but would all that together be enough to hold a TV like that?

I need help on figuring this out if not, if you have better ideas or advice on how to go about this, please let me know. I do have woodworking experience from Wood-Shop class but I still couldn't call myself an expert.
I'll try sharing a pic of the TV as soon as I can.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 07:57:00 pm by vrada501 »

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 18, 2024, 03:07:49 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
Re: Advice on building a cabinet to fit a 32 inch Sony Wega?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 09:02:34 pm »
dont make a cab like an NBA Jam cab, you'll be too close to the screen. Make a Pedestal style cab, its easier to design and will be much easier to redo the CP when you figure out 4 people wont play it as often as you think (I speak from experience!)
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Yenome

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 01:03:06 am
  • Punch a fish. Make a wish
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 02:04:10 am »
I agree with Malenko (ugh i know again) I had a 32" tv and was going to build a showcase cabinet which is the pedestal type cabinet. I have seen some 32in vewlix cabinets but i think it would just be too big and too close. It is my under standing that most show case cabinets used a 33" or 36" monitor. Dont know how you feel about it or how the budget is but the filters now are so good once they are setup you will forget your using a lcd tv. it would save alot of weight. I had also an idea to put in a rear projector into a cabinet to cut down on weight but still get a bigger screen. or a pedestal with a projector in it so you could just use any flat wall for the screen.
My Gf made me put a sig up. /whipped

kahlid74

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2021, 12:42:56 pm
  • Gaming for a better future!
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 04:17:20 pm »
I third the motion, roll to a pedestal or showcase cab.  Anything larger than 24-27" in a normal cab is too big and feels too close (I've built two cabs with 32" in them and it just doesn't feel right).