Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: My first Pi Project...  (Read 2790 times)

Titchgamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
My first Pi Project...
« on: July 03, 2016, 10:42:51 am »
Well I decided to give this Rpi thing a go just to see what they were like, capabilities etc and this is what I came up with :)

The Sega Mega Drive/Genesis has a special place in my heart as its the console that cemented my love of gaming and gave me soooo many hours of Joy.
So here is my Mega Drive II with the guts ripped out and retro fitted with a Rpi 3 and running Retro Pie complete with 700+ Genesis roms.

All I need to do is get my hands on a old cart just to complete the look but otherwise its fully functional :)

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
Re: My first Pi Project...
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 06:54:45 pm »
Good job!  Let's see the insides though.  Also, are you using a Genesis to USB on with the controllers or do you have them wired to GPIO?

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:17:36 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 08:17:02 pm »
Yeah lets see it with the top off.

What are you using to power on/off the device?

Titchgamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 08:12:48 am »
Sorry guys its been sold off and I never took any of the insides :(

Not much to see really just the Pi and a USB encoder.
I was originally going to wire the original ports to the GP10 but then I found the USB encoder so got lazy :p

Basicly I dremeled a little out of the side of the one controller port to fit the stripped down encoder in then filled in the gap with Black mouldable plastic.

As for turning it on and off it is all done off the mains plug.
I was going to re-use the original power button with a new switch originally but I figured there was to much chance of the kids turning it off and corupting the file system before shutting it down so I decided against it.

I recently found out though you can get a little add on board now which uses a switch to shut down the pi properly so if I was to build another I would probably use one of them.