Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Turbo Twist 2 Wiring Ribbon — What is the Order of Colors?  (Read 1944 times)

galla22k

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2017, 03:35:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
So Groovy Game Gear's Turbo Twist 2 spinner is connected to the encoder by a wiring ribbon made up of 5 small wires. Toward the end of the wiring ribbon, it splits off into 4 different colored wires — yellow, green, red and black (apparently, it only uses 4 of the 5 wires to connect to the encoder).

I needed to extend the length of the wiring ribbon because it wouldn't reach my encoder, so I had to strip and solder it. Problem is, I accidentally stripped away all of the colored wires from the end of the ribbon — so now I have no way of distinguishing which wire is which. The only distinguishing part of the ribbon itself is that one of the five wires on the end is gray with red polkadots. The rest are just solid gray. See pic for reference.

Can anyone check their TT2 and please let me know how the 5 wires in the ribbon are supposed to be ordered if you're holding it with the red polkadot wire all the way on the right? Need to know which one is 5V, GND, X1 & X2, and which one is the unused wire. I know red is 5V, black is GND, yellow & green are the axis movements — I just can't tell by only looking at the gray ribbon what everything is. Emailed Randy with GGG about it and haven't heard back. Any help is very much appreciated! Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 11:47:11 am by galla22k »

ghoolster

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2019, 05:26:51 pm
Re: Turbo Twist 2 Wiring Ribbon — What is the Order of Colors?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 04:08:55 pm »
mine has four wires, going from left to right with the plug the right way up:

pin 1 yellow - movement
pin 2 black   - gnd
pin 3 green  - movement
pin 4 red      - +5v

I'm using a pico-wiz as the interface.

Hope this helps, but as allways YMMV.

galla22k

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 05:41:46 pm »
Thanks for the response, Ghoolster. I'm connecting to an Ipac Ultimate, and Andy has what the pins do on his website, so I'm all good there. And I know the red wire is 5v, black is GND, the yellow and green are movement. I just don't know the order of the colored wires coming out of the gray ribbon — and I don't know which of the 5 wires in the gray ribbon isn't connected to anything. If yours looks like the pic I posted, could you let me know what yours looks like? With the red polka dot part on the right. I'd appreciate it!

ghoolster

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 06:13:18 pm »
Have attached photo...

galla22k

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 08:29:54 pm »
Awesome! Thank you very much. One last favor, does yours also have the gray ribbon cable like mine? If so, could you take one more pic where that splits back into colored wires? If it doesn't, no worries. Thanks again!

ghoolster

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 09:45:24 pm »
No, mine looks like this at the other end.

holaplaneta

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2023, 09:23:54 pm
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2023, 10:24:51 pm »
Awesome! Thank you very much. One last favor, does yours also have the gray ribbon cable like mine? If so, could you take one more pic where that splits back into colored wires? If it doesn't, no worries. Thanks again!

Did you figure it out? Could you share the Order of Colors? I am running into the same issue as you. I may get this cable and try: https://www.tinyosshop.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=643

Thanks!

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:26:30 am
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2023, 03:18:35 pm »

Did you figure it out? Could you share the Order of Colors? I am running into the same issue as you. I may get this cable and try: https://www.tinyosshop.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=643

Thanks!

Just a word of caution, if you get it wrong, it will very likely destroy the spinner.  The colors on a random cable assembly are meaningless, so if you need this information, PM me or more preferably, contact me through the technical support address on the GGG website.