Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Atari 2600 Cartridge Troubleshooting  (Read 1915 times)

RetroJames

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 10, 2021, 05:26:38 pm
Atari 2600 Cartridge Troubleshooting
« on: January 17, 2004, 12:37:01 am »
I tested the following carts on a working console.  Many other carts worked fine on the same system.  They had the following symptoms, any ideas?

Top of picture, seems to be score board area, was shifted about a half inch to the right:  Games still very playable

Defender II
Asteroids
Football

On left side of screen, there were 1/2 inch horizontal black lines about 1/4 inch apart.  Games still very playable

Ms. Pac-Man
Jr. Pac-Man

These seemed to come up fine, but neither joysticks nor paddles seemed to elicit any response.  Also tried selecting games and resetting game with no luck.  I just couldn't control anything.

Frogger
Secret Quest
Canyon Bomber

No picture at all on these

Stampede
Maze Craze

Edgedamage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2018, 12:21:23 am
Re:Atari 2600 Cartridge Troubleshooting
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2004, 11:43:23 am »
Try cleaning the edge connector on the cart with a q-tip soaked in rubbing alcohol.
Curls in the squat rack !?!?!

GroovyTuesdaY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 07, 2005, 03:22:18 am
  • "Follow the white rabbit! ....KNOCK KNOCK NEO...."
Re:Atari 2600 Cartridge Troubleshooting
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2004, 08:22:46 am »
To expand on that tip, when i find that my games aren't reading like that in ANY of my systems (nes, snes, atari etc) i will get a cartridge fairly wet on both side with alcohol and put it in and out of the console several times, then clean the cartridge.   Repeat this as many times as needed until the Q-TIP is showing very light if any grey or black gunk.
Aslo, remember that when you are cleaning your catridges only stroke the q-tip in one direction otherwise you will get little slivers of cotton coming off on the contacts. NOT GOOD LOL.
It sucks,to have to do it so often, but as contacts get more and more worn, its necessary.

Good luck!
Groovy~ :D
In the mighty words of the BEE GEES im-
"STAYIN' ALIVE, STAYIN' ALIVE!"
hehehe