Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Joystick advice for new bartop  (Read 930 times)

yeleek

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 16, 2016, 01:48:33 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Joystick advice for new bartop
« on: May 15, 2016, 01:46:13 pm »
So I've built my bartop, running emulationstation on Linux -> Retroarch, in general its all working fine.  I've an Ipac2 board, 2x joysticks, 6 buttons each and then buttons for 1p/1credit and 2p/2credit.

I've noticed that whilst its easy for me as P1 to get into the top right hand corner, and the bottom right hand corner with the joystick.  When I try to get into the bottom left or top left, games generally don't recognise it.  Up, down, left and right work fine on their own.

Any advice please?  I'm not sure if this is a software or hardware issue....

Thanks

jeremymtc

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:19:25 pm
Re: Joystick advice for new bartop
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 02:43:00 pm »
Does the status light on the IPAC blink, or is it a solid green? If blinking, double check that you have your microswitches wired correctly.

I'm not a big Linux user, so am unsure of what specific program/utility to use, but you could check the function of the missing inputs using a text editor. That will narrow down whether you have a hardware or software/config issue.

yeleek

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 16, 2016, 01:48:33 pm
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 01:25:58 pm »
Thanks for the reply.  The IPAC2 is staying green, and it seems to work (left and up/down), its just getting in the corners.  I'm wondering about replacing them with these http://www.arcadeworlduk.com/products/Sanwa-JLF-TP-8YT-Ball-Top-Joystick.html with an octo gate, as that seems recommended for games like SF2 and quarter turns.

Any views?

Thanks

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 01, 2024, 11:31:20 pm
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 01:39:55 pm »
Have those directions worked in the past ?? -- what size hole is cut out in the CP ?

Check to ensure that the joystick is not hitting the side of the hole cut out keeping it from making contact with both switches at the same time (could be the stick is not perfectly centered in the cut out and hits the side of the hole before making good contact in those directions) Esp. since you mention it being both left side directions the joystick may be sitting further to the left than center so it makes good contact on the right side but not the left.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 01:42:08 pm by JDFan »