Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Ordered an Alienware 17R3 Screamin Deal! What do you think?  (Read 4152 times)

knave

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 13, 2023, 03:32:33 pm
Ordered an Alienware 17R3 Screamin Deal! What do you think?
« on: April 20, 2016, 01:31:22 pm »
I've never thought I'd want an Alienware. Too expensive and too much Bling.

I stumbled on this for $1200 (all the others in this class were much more expensive)

Intel quad core i7-6820HK, Nvidia 980m (4gb), 16gb DDR4 ram, 128gb SSD and a 1tb Sata drive
1080p IPS display, Thunderbolt/USB-c, All the Alienware backlighting and fancy wifi/Bluetooth and other features.
Plus it comes with an Xbox controller. (I can use another one.)

Tell me what you think. Anyone here have any Alienware products...Hate them etc?

I wasn't really looking for a 17" display nor something that screamed "Look, I Play Games!" but...I was sold by the CPU, GPU and RAM for such a low price.
The only feature it doesn't have that I was looking at is touch...But I can live without. Just as I can live with it being big and heavy.

It is time to replace my aging daily use laptop from 2009. Perhaps I will try out Fallout 4 and the Division.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: Ordered an Alienware 17R3 Screamin Deal! What do you think?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 01:54:50 pm »
It's a pretty good deal.  It's a laptop though, so in terms of gaming you will have a paperweight in a year or so.  Not that I keep up on the latest games mind you. 

For general use it should last quite a while though. 

dkersten

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 11:47:30 am
  • If you are gonna do it, do it right..
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 03:15:44 pm »
A few years ago I would have agreed with Howard, but honestly, today games aren't increasing their need for hardware at an exponential rate like they used to.  Most games are developed on consoles and ported, and the hardware in consoles is relatively static.

I had a year old GTX760 when Fallout4 came out, and it ran the game perfectly at max settings.  I did upgrade to a 980ti, but frankly I couldn't see a difference even with nearly triple the frame rate, so it was more a vanity upgrade than to gain anything in gaming.  The only argument for upgrading graphics cards today is to move to 4k, and I could go on for days about why that is not only a bad idea but adds nothing to gaming.  I am sure some people would argue it, and more power to them.  I can't see the difference between 1080p and 2160p on a 10 foot screen, so why would I notice it on 27 inches (let alone 17)?

Anyway, the days of software needing massive upgrades in hardware every year are gone.  Unless VR takes hold in gaming, just about any mid-tier gaming rig today will be a viable platform for the next several years, at least until the next gen consoles come out (which could be far more than 3 years).  The ONLY upgrade worth doing in a PC gaming rig for the past 2 years has been G-Sync, and with G-Sync you can keep your old graphics card for twice as long.

Frankly, that laptop sounds like a pretty good deal.  I haven't shopped the RoG laptops lately, but 3 or 4 years ago I picked up a pretty beefy one for half the price of similarly spec'd gaming laptops, so you might want to shop Asus before pulling the trigger, at least for a comparison (That old RoG laptop is 1080 IPS, i7 cpu, 480m graphics, 128m ssd, 500gb platter drive and cost about $1050 after the price of the SSD was added in) .  In December I bought 20 Dell Latitudes with gen 6 i5's, 1080 displays, 8gb ram, and regular HDD's for around $900 each, so just based on hardware alone I would say that is a great price.  The other bells and whistles makes it a pretty good deal. 

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 09:54:06 am
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 03:18:54 pm »
I still love my m14x R2. (i7, 550M)
IIRC, I paid $1,300 for it and don't regret it at all.

Before it, I would buy a cheap underpowered $250-$300 laptop every couple years and was always disappointed.

The alienware still kicks butt after 4 or 5 years and I expect to be satisfied with the performance for years to come.
It may not run every new game with the graphics maxxed out, but it runs them all at a high resolution and decent frame rate.
Circa MAME v.152 it was still running Ridge Racer at full speed in MAME.

They're not exactly light so I wouldn't want to lug it around, but it's perfect for the couch.
It hasn't been perfect.  Mobo was replaced under warranty.  I had to tear the entire damn thing apart to replace a soldered cmos batter after only 3 years.  Replaced the battery last year.  Vents got clogged up with lint in a way that you couldn't tell from the outside.  I tore the whole damn thing down when all I really had to do was blow compressed air through it backwards.

Even with that, I'd buy another one.
I will never own another laptop without a top of the line processor or backlit keyboard.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 03:29:19 pm by BadMouth »

knave

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 06:20:18 pm »
Looks like I will get a $120 gift card from the Dell Rewards program too. Not too shabby. (I just got off a chat with Dell to confirm)

Given my track record on using PCs (I still game on my 2009 laptop) and that I'm usually about two years behind the curve on new games (Thanks Steam) This new computer will be relevant for at least 3 years. Not to mention that most of the games I play are not too system heavy. I just want have a few years at high or medium settings. (been on low for the last 2 years)
At the 3to 4 year mark I'm sure it will still play most of what I'm interested in...just not the newest games.

If I want, in a few years I can pick up the graphics adapter and play around with that to increase performance...but then again I wouldn't have on my current system even if I had the option.

This is a bit of a stretch for me budget wise...But I am excited. I'm counting this a Birthday Present and it's worth it because of the huge amount of hours I sit in front of the thing even if I don't get 7 years out of the thing.

I will be getting a year or two more warranty when the time comes...usually for about $100.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 04:21:53 pm »
Nvidia 980m

There is a real problem.
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 04:45:50 pm »
Nvidia 980m

There is a real problem.

Yeah, that is what I was referring to with my reply. 

That being said it isn't a bad idea to spend a little extra for a STABLE system.  The machine I'm typing on right now is rather old, but I don't have any problems out of it because it was rather expensive.  It's just the whole laptop form factor that turns me off.  Pretty soon you will be able to get the same specs on a laptop much lighter and more portable.  With a desktop none of this matters.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 04:47:55 pm by Howard_Casto »

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 04:50:25 pm »
Is there issues with the mobile version?  I haven't had a hiccup with my 980 card, one of the most stable I have had, and of course more than twice as powerful as any other card I have had.  More than enough to run any game today or several years from now at max settings without an issue.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2016, 06:08:50 pm »
It's just the whole laptop form factor that turns me off.  Pretty soon you will be able to get the same specs on a laptop much lighter and more portable.  With a desktop none of this matters.
Keep in mind, I hate laptops and prefer to build my own desktops (even at work, at least for me).  I just know that my old arguments against laptops are pretty much dead today.  Here's why:

Primarily, the biggest argument against a desktop's "upgradeability" is the fact that as each generation of hardware comes out, every component is renewed as well.  Want more processor power?  You need a new CPU AND a new motherboard.  But the new motherboard now needs new memory (or you need denser sticks to get more memory, so throw out the old).  You just replaced 80% of the computer (60% if you have a gaming graphics card), and for very little more than you just spent you could build an entire computer and have a second one to sell or recycle (as a mame box).  Have a high end graphics card?  Chances are, upgrading it will mean a new PSU too, and frankly your old monitor is going to limit your experience more than your graphics card these days, so better upgrade that too.  Hell, even keyboards and mice are "obsolete" from year to year.  Your old ones aren't worth a penny and the new stuff has cherry switches and lights and isn't cheap.  Nobody uses floppies or even optical drives, so you have no retained value there.  That SSD you bought 3 years ago is half as fast as the new ones that only cost $150 for 5 times the space, so ditch that too.  In fact, the ONLY thing you don't end up replacing when upgrading is your case.  The only reason to have a desktop today is if you want to spread out your upgrades every 6-12 months.  "This month I am getting a cpu/mobo/memory, and next month a hdd, keyboard, and mouse.  Next Spring I will get a graphics card and then I will be set for another year or two."

In short, the VALUE of the upgradeability of a desktop is rapidly reaching zero.

Second, desktops are going away, at least in terms of components and architecture.  Already a typical pre-manufactured gen 6 core i5 desktop without any frills is more expensive than the equivalent in a laptop from the same company (even without a monitor, keyboard, and mouse), and the desire to shrink desktops have led to using mobile architecture, so you get the same thing for more money without the portability.  ATX formats are almost exclusive to enthusiast products now, and that is a severely dwindling market as next gen software no longer needs complete hardware refreshes to fully realize (ie you can go 3 years without an upgrade and still play every game made at max quality).  There is little question that mobile architecture will continue to grow even for desktop applications, and components will continue their path to integration until soon you won't be able to buy a CPU that isn't soldered to a board already and designed for both performance and power conservation.

When the big hitters like Dell, Lenovo, and HP are no longer interested in the old "desktop" components, the companies that make those components will either roll with the market or collapse.  The enthusiast market will get expensive and choices will become sparse.  Frankly I would not be surprised to see external gaming peripherals where the core computer only acts as a controller and the peripheral handles all the processing, further reducing the need for an actual desktop computer and nullifying the last reasons for even enthusiasts to use bulky desktops.

Today, "desktops" are leaning more toward what is effectively a laptop in a small box with a desktop cpu (no power constraints like laptops so no need for mobile versions of the cpu) but no room for more than 1 or 2 laptop drives and certainly no room for a graphics card.  If you want a full size case in something you don't have to build yourself, you pay a premium.  Just three years ago you could still buy a full ATX desktop from any major manufacturer and pay less than an equivalent laptop.  Today the only way to even come close is to build your own.  When the form factor disappears entirely, where will components go?

Bottom line, if you can't upgrade just a CPU or just a graphics card without upgrading everything else in the computer, you effectively have a disposable computer.  And when a laptop, which is also a disposable computer, costs less up front, then what is the point in buying a desktop?

Still don't believe me?  Build the equivalent of the laptop in question in this thread for less than $1200.  Use a GTX970 since the 980m is just a 970 desktop chip, and don't cheap out with gen 4 or 5 cpus or $5 keyboards (remember this one is backlit and probably changes colors too).  You might be able to do it, but you won't be able to do it for significantly less.  By the time you put a monitor on it (16x9 1080 ips regardless of size) you will likely be over the price tag. 

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:44:38 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2016, 06:41:05 pm »
Does it play Castlevania 3 100%?

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:09:41 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2016, 07:07:10 pm »
Does it play Castlevania 3 100%?
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

knave

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2016, 03:33:01 am »
Nvidia 980m

There is a real problem.

LOL, A problem with high framerates!

But it will never play Castlevania 3.

Or probably half of my steam library...

...there just isn't time.

jokes aside. I play enough games on an old dell latitude with intel graphics. The 980m is way overkill for my needs...but will be really nice to run just about everything on high for a few years.
I probably could have waited another year with my old dell from 2009 but  I just wanted something new...besides I'm tired of playing on low settings. Go big or go home right.

I'm getting pretty excited.

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:31:22 pm
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2016, 07:16:51 pm »
The only argument for upgrading graphics cards today is to move to 4k, and I could go on for days about why that is not only a bad idea but adds nothing to gaming.  I am sure some people would argue it, and more power to them.  I can't see the difference between 1080p and 2160p on a 10 foot screen, so why would I notice it on 27 inches (let alone 17)?

I read this and had a chuckle to myself.  I run a GTX 970 with a 28" Acer XB280HK 4K monitor, primarily for graphics design work, the gaming monitor was relatively cheap compared to high end graphics design monitors but its chalk and cheese compared to my old Samsung 1920 x 1080 monitor.  Fallout 4 looks beautiful on it ,no visible pixels.  I'll never use this setup for MAME  ::) mind you.  One of the really nice things about a 4K screen is being able to read eMagazines on it, letters are sharp, crisp and print like on it.  Digital artwork is the real reason though, coupled with a Wacom tablet - really nice.  Sorry to diverge from the whole laptop vs PC thing, I have a work provided Lenovo I7 touchscreen lappy, I never use it for anything except work, the touchscreen drove me nutz until I figured out how to disable it.  Maybe my perspective on laptops is skewed because I have to carry the damn thing around all the time  :-\

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2016, 11:36:37 am »
The only argument for upgrading graphics cards today is to move to 4k, and I could go on for days about why that is not only a bad idea but adds nothing to gaming.  I am sure some people would argue it, and more power to them.  I can't see the difference between 1080p and 2160p on a 10 foot screen, so why would I notice it on 27 inches (let alone 17)?
I read this and had a chuckle to myself.  I run a GTX 970 with a 28" Acer XB280HK 4K monitor, primarily for graphics design work, the gaming monitor was relatively cheap compared to high end graphics design monitors but its chalk and cheese compared to my old Samsung 1920 x 1080 monitor.  Fallout 4 looks beautiful on it ,no visible pixels.  I'll never use this setup for MAME  ::) mind you.  One of the really nice things about a 4K screen is being able to read eMagazines on it, letters are sharp, crisp and print like on it.  Digital artwork is the real reason though, coupled with a Wacom tablet - really nice.
For text: If the OS could scale 100% of the time then I would go 4k, but even Windows 10 sucks balls when it comes to scaling, and I simply can't read 72dpi text on a 160dpi screen.  That is the equivalent of scaling 12pt text down to about 5pt text.  Unless the OS can scale it back up to 160dpi, which it can in SOME cases but not all, I will stick to 1600x900, which is still a sharp resolution (from 2.5 feet back) yet means I can turn off any scaling in the OS and still have text large enough for me to see.  I spend most of my time lately writing php and staring at lines of code for hours on end, and when I try sharper resolutions I get severe eye strain because the text is always smaller.  If I scale up, it works sometimes but then I open some other program and the text is so small I can't see it.

For everything else: I base quality on the ability to display a diagonal line without aliasing.  I have found that every time I see aliasing, even on a 10 ft screen at 1080, it is the source, not the resolution, that is at fault.  1080 is perfectly capable of displaying a line or edge at any angle and not showing aliasing when sitting at the proper distance from the screen. (yes, if you put your head 6 inches off a 27" screen you can see the jaggies, but who does that?)

My point about the 980 not being able to run 4k has to do with futureproofing.  Right now just about any game can be played with a 980m (gtx970 chip) and still stay above 30 frames per second even at 4k, maybe not at max settings, but reasonably well.  In the next few years it could get to the point where a card like that couldn't run games at 4k even at lowest settings.  But at 1080, I have no doubt at all that any game could be run by that chip now or in the next few years at max settings and stay above 30 fps.  Unless you are wanting to do 4k gaming, you don't need more than the 980m now or for several years.  And since I personally see zero value in 4k gaming over 1080 with higher quality settings, to me there is no point.  But some people insist they can see it is clearly better, and for them I say go for it.. get those dual titans so you can crank up to 16x aa and 4k and max everything and still always be above 30fps.  I will be happily gaming with buttery smooth and perfectly crisp and clean lines on my 1080 g-sync with 1/5th the cost in my graphics card. 

knave

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2016, 01:36:54 pm »
Other than the wow and cool factor, I am not interested in anything 4k. Which is why I'm really happy that this laptop has the 1080p display. I have no doubt the 4k screens look great but the thing is going to sit on my lap 99% of the time. And if I want to hook it up to my TVs...they are 1080p as well. Iy just makes sense to me.  Perhaps in another 7 years 4k will appeal to me.

I threw together a few desktop builds and without a monitor, peripherals... I could spec out a comparable or better system for the $1200. Add in a dell 24 inch monitor, gaming keyboard and a few other things and it jumped up a few hundred $.

You always pay for portability. I built a nice budget gaming desktop two years ago for ~$300 but I never turn it on. I have been playing games that will run on my laptop even though Steam streaming works fine...its just a hassle.

I am a bit curious about the bundled wireless controller...Do Alienware PC's have a built in receiver for wireless 360 controllers? I happen to have one, but what is the thought with that. Hmmm? I might have to chat with dell about that when the system arrives. (wed...can't wait.) I forgot that I was supposed to ask for free 2 day shipping. oh well.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2016, 02:09:11 pm »
I am a bit curious about the bundled wireless controller...Do Alienware PC's have a built in receiver for wireless 360 controllers? I happen to have one, but what is the thought with that. Hmmm? I might have to chat with dell about that when the system arrives. (wed...can't wait.)

The refurbed alienware alpha I got for the living room came with the standard Microsoft corded receiver.
It has a hidden compartment on the bottom with a USB port inside, but the compartment is way too small to house the receiver.
So I'd guess it will be the same deal with the laptop, although it would be way better to have it built in.

monkeybomb

• PM me to find out how to get a custom title like mine!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2018, 07:16:29 pm
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2016, 06:56:32 pm »
I am a bit curious about the bundled wireless controller...Do Alienware PC's have a built in receiver for wireless 360 controllers? I happen to have one, but what is the thought with that. Hmmm? I might have to chat with dell about that when the system arrives. (wed...can't wait.)

The refurbed alienware alpha I got for the living room came with the standard Microsoft corded receiver.
It has a hidden compartment on the bottom with a USB port inside, but the compartment is way too small to house the receiver.
So I'd guess it will be the same deal with the laptop, although it would be way better to have it built in.

The hidden usb port was intended for a steam controller reciever that never made it to the market when dell finally had to start releasing the Alpha.  I don't have a steam controller, but I suspect they made the receiver fit in those.  I keep a keyboard/mouse receiver in mine.  I can't imagine it being useful for most people.

knave

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2016, 11:45:12 am »

Well that is good news, I would love another Xbox receiver...With this bundle I will have a total of four controllers too. I've been picking up co-op Steam games in case I ever build a steam machine. For the time being I can use this Laptop and at least try them out.

On a side note, I have been waiting for the Steam hardware to go on sale...and apart for a $10 off preorder bundle no luck. I am guessing that Valve isn't going to mark them down for a while. In the mean time I am totally happy using Xbox 360 controllers. (No one really uses them on the Xbox any more. LOL)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2016, 03:53:07 pm »
Do you guys have problems using wired and wireless 360 pads at the same time?  I stopped using my wireless receiver because all my wired gamepads (including my sfIV fight stick) interfere with it. 

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2016, 03:57:01 pm »
Do you guys have problems using wired and wireless 360 pads at the same time?  I stopped using my wireless receiver because all my wired gamepads (including my sfIV fight stick) interfere with it.

Haven't tried it yet.
I had two wired controllers before, got the wireless one and receiver with the alpha, and bought an another wireless one so I would have 4 total.
Now you've got me worried that I may not achieve the 4 player split screen nirvana I was hoping for.

knave

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2016, 06:59:59 pm »
Computer has arrived. Surprisingly thin...but still pretty heavy. Lighting is pretty cool. Initially no Xbox controller, Dell is sending it in a separate package.
Came with Windows 10 Home...I upgraded to pro with a spare win 7 pro license (thank you digital entitlements), In the process of going through all the privacy settings. Comes with Steam pre-installed, Kinda nice...at least saves me some time.
Shows 9 hours of battery at idle and about 6 and a quarter streaming HD video (with a full charge). I did not change the default power management yet. Reviews report just under 2 hours under GPU load.

I am pretty pleased. I have not seen a better deal in all the time I've been looking.
Looking forward to put World of Tanks on it and run at High.

It came with the biggest laptop power supply I've ever seen.

dmckean

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2024, 08:50:41 pm
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2016, 07:54:50 pm »
You got a fine deal and the 980m is about 50% faster than either current console so it should hold up for some time.

knave

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2016, 03:55:53 am »
The Alienware is great...I did not know that the lighting on the keyboard and accents will integrate with games and respond to in-game events. Pretty cool.
Controller arrived. I received a wired version. Simplifies things a bit...I've always wanted an official wired xb 360 controller, but have never bothered to buy one.

Fast CPU, Fast GPU Boots to desktop in 14 seconds. (my old laptop takes 28)

I sprang for office 2016 for $10 and Shodows of Mordor for $5

Only thing I might change is someday replacing the 1TB SATA Hard drive with a SSD and or upgrading the 128GB  SSD to a bigger one.