Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Anyone ever bought a 96-in-1 Multi Pac  (Read 4969 times)

8BitMonk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2023, 05:27:00 pm
Anyone ever bought a 96-in-1 Multi Pac
« on: March 09, 2016, 02:23:28 pm »
I recently bought a 96-in-1 Multi Pac board and am having trouble with it and can't get the seller to respond through email at all. Anyone ever bought one, dealt with the seller? Have sent him numerous messages including one through Paypal yesterday and nothing.
Games: Asteroids Deluxe | Atomiswave | Centipede | Championship Sprint | Defender | Donkey Kong | Dig Dug | Frogger | Ikari Warriors | Missile Command | Pac-Man | Pole Position | Robotron | Spy Hunter | Tempest | Super Mario Strikers

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
Re: Anyone ever bought a 96-in-1 Multi Pac
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 02:36:30 pm »
Yes, if your issue is like mine, use the data cable that you already had with your MsPac and dont use the one that comes with the kits.

He's not flaky but he doesnt look at email/KLOV every day. It took him about a week to reply to me.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 02:43:59 pm »
Thanks, it's already been 10+ days since I first emailed him. I just pm'd him on klov after finding your post. I have an original Pac board and bought version 2.54E. Not sure if it's a defective board or the fact that it's version 'E' that's the problem, I get graphical glitches when installed, the image looks garbled. 
Games: Asteroids Deluxe | Atomiswave | Centipede | Championship Sprint | Defender | Donkey Kong | Dig Dug | Frogger | Ikari Warriors | Missile Command | Pac-Man | Pole Position | Robotron | Spy Hunter | Tempest | Super Mario Strikers

behrmr

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2021, 09:17:13 am
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 03:29:11 pm »
2.54A was for cocktails so it looks like 2.54E is the new version for cocktails. But it shouldn't really matter they should all work on your Pacman PCB.  Post a picture of your kit installed for us to see.   

Did you pacman PCB work prior to installing this kit? If not, this kit may not fix your pre-existing problem.  If yes, remove the kit and reinstall the original ROMs to make sure that you game still works properly.   My gut tells me you may have a socket or voltage problem.

Check that you have your row 5 EPROM installed and oriented properly.  The notch on the chip on the daughterboard should line up with the notch on the socket.  Also try moving it to the other row 5 socket.  Check that your satellite board and Z80 are also properly oriented and installed firmly.  If all of that looks good then try pressing on the ribbon cable where it connects to the Pacman's Z80 socket and see if anything happens.  Do the same on the row 4 EPROM. 

Mike should get back to you at some point though.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 03:41:08 pm »
Behrmr is the one that fixed my boards  :cheers:
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 03:42:55 pm »
2.54A was for cocktails so it looks like 2.54E is the new version for cocktails. But it shouldn't really matter they should all work on your Pacman PCB.  Post a picture of your kit installed for us to see.   

From the website it looks like version 'E' is geared towards bootleg boards, see below.

There is a third version of the kit available which is v2.54Eyes. Since the "96 in 1" supports several boards besides Midway boards, you can install it on boards running "Eyes" encryption like some versions of Pac3 bootlegs or Eyes boards. At will also work on Make Trax, Pac1/Pac2, Falcon, Piranha, and Crush Roller. There is also a jumper included that you can move from one pair of pins to another to instantly support either the 25xx or 27xx family of ROMs that happen to be on whichever board you're installing the kit on.

I didn't know that when I ordered (and didn't see the above description on the site) and emailed him right after ordering and asked him to verify which version would be best but he never got back to me and version E just showed up in the mail. The E version does have a jumper on it so maybe it's just a matter of changing (or removing) the jumper? Was hoping someone could verify before I do it.

Did you pacman PCB work prior to installing this kit? If not, this kit may not fix your pre-existing problem.  If yes, remove the kit and reinstall the original ROMs to make sure that you game still works properly.   My gut tells me you may have a socket or voltage problem.

Check that you have your row 5 EPROM installed and oriented properly.  The notch on the chip on the daughterboard should line up with the notch on the socket.  Also try moving it to the other row 5 socket.  Check that your satellite board and Z80 are also properly oriented and installed firmly.  If all of that looks good then try pressing on the ribbon cable where it connects to the Pacman's Z80 socket and see if anything happens.  Do the same on the row 4 EPROM. 

I did test all of the connections several times and everything looked ok. I don't have a picture of it installed as I removed it and reinstalled the old components to verify it still worked as a regular Pac Man board and it does with no issues. The board is an original Pac Man board, no bootleg. Below is what the screen image looks like with the board installed.

It seems to run fine, the image is just garbled.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 07:53:25 pm by 8BitMonk »

behrmr

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2021, 09:17:13 am
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 03:57:28 pm »
Check your vram addressor daughter board. Wiggle and press to see if it changes. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 05:24:01 pm »
I'll give that a try tonight, I'll have to remove the stock EPROMS and Z80 again and put back in the Multi Pac.

The only other thing I notice is the edge connector is a little messed up in one spot and is spot soldered but I'd assume if that isn't affecting the standard game it shouldn't affect the Multi Pac.

Wonder if I should change or remove the jumper as well. Web page says it's to support the 25xx or 27xx family of ROMS and it's currently on 25xx, I notice the original board has no jumper.

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2016, 10:29:17 am »
Mike got back to me and apologized for the delay, he's just been extremely busy lately. Looks like v2.54E is only for use on boards that run Eyes Encryption and a pair of replacement ROMS should fix my issue.