Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Out Run 2 Twin Screen ?  (Read 2855 times)

thefox

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 30, 2021, 05:09:11 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
    • From The Old Arcade
Out Run 2 Twin Screen ?
« on: March 04, 2016, 11:56:21 am »
Having made a few joystick-based cabs, my thoughts are turning to a twin screen racing set-up. Something we could play multiplayer Outrun 2 /coast2coast and maybe Daytona USA on, using 2 separate screens ?

Not sure where to start. Could anyone point me in the direction of such a project please ?

Any advice on how this might be done ? O/S, PC or console? Wheel & pedals, etc ??

Thanks
Born in the early seventies
Grew up in the arcades in the 80's
Built "The Fox-Box" in 2012.

https://fromtheoldarcade.wordpress.com/

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 05:31:43 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
Re: Out Run 2 Twin Screen ?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 12:38:32 pm »
Outrun Coast 2 Coast has a LAN option on the PC. I've two PCs on a wireless home network with a copy of the game on both. You just create the multiplayer game on one and join it on the other, It's as simple as that. You don't even need a super-powerful PC for it, my old Pentium 4 could manage it full speed. Likewise you can link up 2 PCs running Model 2 Emulator for Daytona USA and Sega Rally and also two versions of the latest version of MAME for Virtua Racing and some others. Not quite as straightforward as a LAN on Outrun 2K6, but not difficult. Original Xbox system link is good for multiplayer games of Outrun 2 and Coast 2 Coast. I've got two original Xboxs (the second one I bought ages, way before I ended up getting a second PC) purely for that reason. I bought an Xbox 360 about a year ago and I realised the other day I could actually link that in as well, using my router, for some fun. Similarly, using both PCs, but with one running in dual screen mode, I was able t get a set-up running

thefox

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 30, 2021, 05:09:11 am
    • From The Old Arcade
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 02:08:47 pm »
Hey, thank you, this is really helpful. I'm paying very regular trips to my local arcade, which still has an Outrun 2 twin sit-in cabinet. But it's pretty tired now and I fear it wont be there much longer (and I just dont have the cash or the space to make them an offer !) The closest I can get to that experience at home, the better.

Which would you you say is best for this - xbox or pc version of the game ? I've read that the PC had higher def or frame rate but control issues. Also, deo you use a steering wheel ? Any particular wheel you could recomend ?
Born in the early seventies
Grew up in the arcades in the 80's
Built "The Fox-Box" in 2012.

https://fromtheoldarcade.wordpress.com/

2huwman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2023, 03:33:32 am
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 03:20:11 pm »
Love the three player outrun 2! What's the maximum number of systems that can be linked?

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 05:31:43 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 11:33:35 am »
Which would you you say is best for this - xbox or pc version of the game ? I've read that the PC had higher def or frame rate but control issues. Also, deo you use a steering wheel ? Any particular wheel you could recomend ?

PC looks nicer generally. It's HD but is lacking the bloom effects from the Xbox version. It did have control issues (in that it wasn't optimised for wheels and had no rumble or FFB) but a member of this very forum sorted those issues out with a hack he created. For ease of use the PC version is probably better because it just links up wirelesly with my two PCs that live in the same room, whereas with the Xbox version I need to physically connect them up with cables and move TVs around. I normally use to to play the PC version with a pad, but since the hack I use a wheel, which is a Logitech Driving Force GT which handles very well. I've also got a Thrustmaster Ferrari 3-in-1 GT which I haven't tried with the hack yet on the other PC (the first wheel has FFB, the second is rumble only but is a really great budget priced starter wheel). FWIW though the Xbox version controls absolutely sublimely with a pad, with some very intuitive rumbling effects, and is probably the closest I've felt to a very arcade like experience without a wheel. There are original Xbox wheels, but I've never played the game with one and I believe they aren't particularly easy to get a hold of anymore. A dual wheel set-up (one for each PC) is how I play LAN games on Model 2 Emulator and it works great for all of the driving stuff.

Most of this can be done without shed loads of expense as well. The original reason I bought a second PC was because I wanted to use it as a media centre that could stay permanently in place under my TV - the LAN game connectivity was just a bonus. It cost me £80 secondhand on eBay. Likewise, I picked up the 2nd original Xbox for £30 from a secondhand game shop about 5 years ago and because it had a bit of cosmetic damage I was able to haggle with the owner and get him to chuck in a free copy of Outrun 2. I then picked up a secondhand LCD TV from CashConverters for £29 which, as an unexpected bonus, could also double up as a PC monitor using a standard D-sub connector. The Thrustmaster Ferrari wheel also cost £29. I was, however, lucky enough to inherit the Logitech wheel from my brother-in-law as he'd pretty much given up playing games on his PS3.

Another possible option available to you could be the multiple Xbox 360 route. The bonus with that is that it upscales both of the original Xbox games into HD, making them look almost (but not quite) as good as the PC version, but with the added bonus of the intact bloom effects. I know for definite that you can link the 360 using a router and an Ethernet cable, but I don't know if you can emulate an original Xbox system link wirelessly...

Love the three player outrun 2! What's the maximum number of systems that can be linked?

I believe (off the top of my head) that the maximum number you can link up is 6.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 11:38:48 am by MrThunderwing »