Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: the eternal question, ps4 or xbox 1  (Read 2762 times)

abispac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:16:49 pm
the eternal question, ps4 or xbox 1
« on: February 17, 2016, 12:01:40 am »
But ill make it easyer, what i want to know, wich one would havemore odds of being hacked or jailbreaked sooner. To be honest im an old school gamer, but iwould like to buy a new gen console for my  kids, but at the same time iwould like to be able to play emulated games as well as manhunt and bmxxxx ,as those 2 are my alltime favorites, perhaps some dantes to....thanks for any feedback....

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: the eternal question, ps4 or xbox 1
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 12:07:47 am »
I don't think the days of hacking a console is over, but I think the days of hacking it while it's still relevant may be.  If you are buying a console for the sake of piracy, I would suggest you give up now. 

The XB1 is heavily invested in being a media set-top box that just happens to play games.  That may be a plus or a minus depending upon what you intend to use it for.  That being said this latest build of the dashboard has this bad habit of taking forever to boot.  You can bypass the login screen to get to the most recent app though.  It has the best gamepad of the two as well.  Someone else can chime in and tell you about the ps4, which I don't own so I can't comment much in regards to the details.

If you want to play sfV on a console, it'll most likely only be released on the ps4.  It's getting a pc release though, so if you want it for your mame cab don't worry.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:01:05 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 01:15:16 pm »
being both x86 hardware i find either one will be emulated on PC before being hacked.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:44:38 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 04:53:27 pm »
The days of hacking consoles are over.  Frankly, there's little need anymore - the price drops so quickly on the games it's not really worth it... plus the damn things are enormous and would take forever to download.  I rarely pay more than $10-15 a game and have a pile still in the shrinkwrap. 

I've yet to encounter anyone that owns an Xbox One.  The software libraries are 95% the same - might as well go with the superior hardware.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 05:04:19 pm »
Well that would be the xbox one according to most side-by-side comparisons.  Sony produced games look significantly better than the third parties (which usually favor the xbox) though.

I really wanted to jump to team sony this time, but I got one look at the gamepad and it was "nope!" and I went with the xbox, which I got with a bundle that included two Assassin's Creed games and a game from the Microsoft store of my choice for about the same cost as the ps4 stand alone.   My point is, if cost falls into the equation you might want to look at the bundles and deals. 

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 05:15:36 pm »
Okay, so Howard makes the one person I know with an Xbox One.  I'm sure I'll pick one up on clearance around Christmas time.

abispac

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:16:49 pm
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 11:28:57 am »
at work the briing a ps4 on friday and yes ,i dontlike the gamepad that much, will have to try the xbox 1 someday, i dont want this for piracy but im looing forward to play old games on this someday, i guess xbox have more odds of having that one day

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 02:54:32 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 11:38:00 am »
Okay, so Howard makes the one person I know with an Xbox One.  I'm sure I'll pick one up on clearance around Christmas time.

I have one as well.  That Amazon Prime sale thing in July had a good deal I couldn't pass on. 

PS4 gets the most play, though.   :cheers:

P.H.U.

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 29, 2023, 01:25:21 am
  • I own my own arcade machines. Word.
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2016, 07:25:36 am »
I have seen both being on sale used for $150 off of Slickdeals.net>Cowboom as of late. If you don't mind it being used, you don't have to settle and can buy both for less than the price of one.

I have both. If it is a multi-console game, I am getting the PS4 version. With the previous 2 console generations, I got the Xbox Original or 360 versions of the games.
When you find great deals on Craigslist for CRT based cabs, exuberance :laugh2: can be a bad thing!

Current Status of Cabs:  2-of-11 (and counting) working as desired  :applaud: :applaud:/:banghead: :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Yenome

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 01:03:06 am
  • Punch a fish. Make a wish
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2016, 01:53:26 pm »
i have both as well. dont know why the hate for the ps4 controller for me it is the better controller. i hate the d-pad on xbox1 for fighting games, great for 4 way games. i only get the exclusives for xbox1 all other games i get for ps4. there is people far as i understand that have been able to get a custom firmware on the ps4, if you want newer games along with the old school i would say go with  a jtaged xbox360.
My Gf made me put a sig up. /whipped

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2016, 03:07:38 pm »
Dual Shock 4 is the best controller I've ever used and I've owned them all besides Xbox One.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 02:54:32 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2016, 03:08:58 pm »
Dual Shock 4 is the best controller I've ever used and I've owned them all besides Xbox One.

+1.  Only complaint is that you can't swap batteries if you get low, have to plug it in. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2016, 03:23:02 pm »
All playstation gamepads are crap.   Circles and squares and X's make no sense and the analog sticks are in the absolute worst possible place ergonomically speaking... mostly because they were an afterthought on the original dual shock on the ps1.  I'll give you it's miles better than the same design they've used on all previous gamepads, but they still lag behind Microsoft and Nintendo.

The only people that don't think so are people who grew up using them.    It's kind of like Diet Coke.  The stuff tastes like weak battery acid, but you can get used to anything. 

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2016, 03:25:44 pm »
Meh, takes two weeks to get used to it.  Go sell crazy somewhere else.

dmckean

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2024, 08:50:41 pm
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2016, 03:47:35 pm »
I like the DualShock 4's too, I don't own either console but use the DS4s with the PC. They have a fantastic D-pad.