Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Pi custom resolution  (Read 2470 times)

TheOnlyShad0w

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 24, 2016, 03:45:48 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Pi custom resolution
« on: February 06, 2016, 04:11:12 pm »
I'm having trouble figuring out how to set a custom resolution for my Pi running Emulation Station. I'm using a 720p 16:9 TV and my intention is to have it oriented in portrait in my cabinet so my arcade games fill as much space as possible.

I was able to set the screen rotation in my config.txt which rotated it 90 degrees, great. Now I just need to set the resolution to 960x720 (960 tall by 720 wide) so I'm able to create a frame around the unused space on the screen. Is anyone aware of how to do this?

Also, as soon as I changed the display rotation I noticed a very odd ripple going on. I can see it in emulation station as well as in-game. It's only a single ripple and appears to cross diagonal from top to bottom crossing the about a quarter into the left of the display. . You'll have to look really close to see it in the video. I added an annotation to hopefully help you see the location of the ripple. I'm hoping someone can help me resolve this as well.

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
Re: Pi custom resolution
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 02:35:03 am »
That looks like, to me at least, an LCD backlight problem.

TheOnlyShad0w

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 24, 2016, 03:45:48 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 11:37:11 pm »
That looks like, to me at least, an LCD backlight problem.
Interesting. My TV is brand new and I don't get this problem when running the monitor in regular landscape mode. I'll try running in portrait on a different TV and see if I get the same outcome.

MacGyver

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 18, 2023, 12:49:00 am
    • Project Build
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 05:15:37 pm »
Your screen might not support that exact resolution. 

Here is a link with just about everything you need to set custom resolutions on your Pi.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/config-txt.md

You might have to get it close, and then play with the overscan to eliminate the black bars.  (mine ended up needing to be about -30 all around in config.txt.)

I did see a page once with references to very custom resolutions, but in the end your TV is the deciding factor.  The pi is great for letting you set it how you like.

Enter the following command to give a list of CEA supported modes:
/opt/vc/bin/tvservice -m CEA

Enter the following command to give a list of DMT supported modes:
/opt/vc/bin/tvservice -m DMT

Mine currently uses:
Code: [Select]
hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=87
hdmi_cvt=800 480 60 6 0 0 0
display_rotate=1

hdmi_mode=87    <---custom mode

hdmi_cvt=<width> <height> <framerate> <aspect> <margins> <interlace> <rb>
width        width in pixels
height       height in pixels
framerate    framerate in Hz
aspect       aspect ratio 1=4:3, 2=14:9, 3=16:9, 4=5:4, 5=16:10, 6=15:9, 7=21:9, 8=64:27
margins      0=margins disabled, 1=margins enabled
interlace    0=progressive, 1=interlaced
rb           0=normal, 1=reduced blanking

You can also dig deeper and set the timings
Code: [Select]
hdmi_timings=<h_active_pixels> <h_sync_polarity <h_front_porch> <h_sync_pulse> <h_back_porch> <v_active_lines> <v_sync_polarity> <v_front_porch> <v_sync_pulse> <v_back_porch> <v_sync_offset_a> <v_sync_offset_b> <pixel_rep> <frame_rate> <interlaced> <pixel_freq> <aspect_ratio>
This link goes a little deeper:http://elinux.org/RPiconfig
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 03:48:55 pm by MacGyver »