Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Project Friday the 13th  (Read 12760 times)

Montani

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2024, 08:59:37 pm
  • You and your friends are dead. Game Over
Project Friday the 13th
« on: January 31, 2016, 06:59:40 pm »
Hello Everyone,

With the wisdom I have gathered from this site, I have finally started my own build. My first build is dedicated to Friday the 13th for the NES, one of my favorite games as a kid. I am building a pedestal because I want to use an existing 55" TV. I decided to build the control panel first. I am still working out some ideas for the actual pedestal. I have a good PC and electrical background, and zero wood-working experience. So far, I have learned a tremendous amount in my short journey. Many thanks to the good folks who inhabit this forum. If not for you, I would never be able to build this. I will update my progression. Please comment and offer any advice. It is  much appreciated.

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
Re: Project Friday the 13th
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 04:01:26 pm »
I dig it! Looking forward to the rest of this!

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:09:41 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 04:13:06 pm »
I played that game a lot as a kid, but I never beat it.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 09:54:06 am
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 04:14:58 pm »
Angled joystick fail.  I can see the mounting holes.

EDIT: further explanation

Player 3 and 4 joysticks should be mounted square and not angled.  You can angle the buttons so the player stands at an angle, but keep the joystick oriented the same way as player 1 and 2.

Look at the original 4 player arcade machines and look at where the UP arrows are pointing for players 3 and 4.  If there aren't any up arrows, look at the mounting bolts.
The reason for not angling this sticks is that people instinctively move the stick the direction they want the character to go even if they're standing at an angle.
People can adjust to playing on angled sticks, but it's not as intuitive.  It sucks for guests who haven't used the cab before.
If you still want to angle the joysticks so be it, but don't say you weren't warned.

People on here rail on it because it's a mistake that gets made so often to the point that there are more bad examples than good ones to be found online.
It's not like other things that are a personal preference or aesthetics.  It really is a mistake.

It's counterintuitive, but the truth.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 04:32:40 pm by BadMouth »

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 04:18:31 pm »
Angled joystick fail.  I can see the mounting holes.

Yeah, but you know, follow your bliss and all that...

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 04:55:09 pm »
I like the concept however...

Would be cooler if...

A) It was themed after an Arcade game
B) It didn't have 6 buttons on P3 and P4
C) The joysticks were not angled
D) If it didn't have so many damn admin buttons

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 05:04:33 pm »
Please comment and offer any advice.

Since you asked...

Re-evaluate your plans for this panel before you go on. Are you just playing MAME? If so, you don't need the extra buttons on P3 & P4. You don't need to angle your outer joysticks as well. If you're planning on playing console games, then you might benefit from those other buttons - but only you know your intent at this time.

I have a soft spot in my gamer's heart for NES FT13, so the theme doesn't bug me.

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 05:12:31 pm »
Yeah, I didn't pay attention to the details, just the theme. Definitely want UP to be UP, and reduce the buttons to FOUR each on players 3 and 4-- you don't need six for them.

Montani

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 05:42:04 pm »
Very good information. I appreciate it! The angled joysticks were definitely an oversight. Noted for my next build! I intend to run hyperspin with as many systems as I can cram. I was super liberal with the admin buttons. I only had 3 originally but I kept worrying I would need more. I'm glad some people like the theme! I'll always have a place in my heart for that game! Anyone have experience with any of the pedestal designs? I don't want to have my face planted in the TV when  I am playing, and I intend on adding light guns. I figure atleast a 3 foot offset from the TV would be great. Thanks everyone.

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2021, 12:21:09 pm
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 05:46:48 pm »
How do you know what the 6 admin buttons do?
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2016, 05:47:40 pm »
Just wondering what all admin functions you think you need on there?

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2016, 06:47:16 pm »
The angled joysticks were definitely an oversight. Noted for my next build!

Notice how the angled joystick guys never F*****G fix it, even when it is called out early enough they still just go ahead with it anyway. Fix this one, it isn't like you are going to build a second giant 4 player pedestal.

I love your theme but I feel it is matched poorly with what you ultimately decided to build. Your theme is a single player 4:3 game, which would have been in a 19" cabinet if it had been a real arcade game. However you built a monster 4 player 55" widescreen machine instead.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

Montani

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2016, 07:18:38 pm »
My plans for the admin buttons may change. I really want to add a coin door, but with my current pedestal plan I cannot fit it. So 4 of the buttons may end up being coin buttons. If I can add a coin door, then I'll put my start power, pause, escape, TV power (maybe), and 2 leftovers. Leftover buttons I can use to cycle trackball colors, or add TV functions. 6 is probably too many, but I'm easily fascinated by colorful lights...Anyone have success integrating TV functions to their cab buttons? The power is easy. I've done this in the past. I'd like to figure out out to swap TV inputs with an admin button. I've got to hook up the kids Xbox One back up to this same TV. I plan on doing some more woodwork this weekend. Hopefully, I'll have the control panel built.  Anyone here have the recoil guns? Is it worth the extra 30v power supply to have them? So far I want them, but would like some input on someone who have them with the needed 30v supply.  :dunno

Montani

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2016, 07:39:13 pm »
The angled joysticks were definitely an oversight. Noted for my next build!

Notice how the angled joystick guys never F*****G fix it, even when it is called out early enough they still just go ahead with it anyway. Fix this one, it isn't like you are going to build a second giant 4 player pedestal.

I love your theme but I feel it is matched poorly with what you ultimately decided to build. Your theme is a single player 4:3 game, which would have been in a 19" cabinet if it had been a real arcade game. However you built a monster 4 player 55" widescreen machine instead.

I am super bummed about my joysticks. I'm just looking at the capital to fix this problem. MDF is cheap, but a graphic re-print and lexan are not. It's my first cab so I anticipate MANY mistakes. Immediately after this build, I am building one for my father. So hopefully, I'll have all the mistakes worked out for the next one. I really enjoy building these.

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2016, 08:19:07 pm »
There are three basic ways to fix it without replacing your overlay and lexan.

The first is simply to drill the second set of holes and have bolts on both holes or leave the mistake holes open.

The second is to switch the side players to e-stiks/happ universals. Those install with no bolts and you still can put some bolts through the existing holes.

The third is to reinstall the sticks the proper direction and drill them in from the bottom with 3/4" wood screws (or 1/2" if your sticks have metal bases). This isn't as secure as full on bolts are, but the side players don't get used much and I have had sticks installed that way for years in some machines without issue.  You can still put the old bolts through the existing holes.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

Montani

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2016, 08:32:59 pm »
There are three basic ways to fix it without replacing your overlay and lexan.

The first is simply to drill the second set of holes and have bolts on both holes or leave the mistake holes open.

The second is to switch the side players to e-stiks/happ universals. Those install with no bolts and you still can put some bolts through the existing holes.

The third is to reinstall the sticks the proper direction and drill them in from the bottom with 3/4" wood screws (or 1/2" if your sticks have metal bases). This isn't as secure as full on bolts are, but the side players don't get used much and I have had sticks installed that way for years in some machines without issue.  You can still put the old bolts through the existing holes.

Great! I think the third option will work for me. Do you think the expanded inserts would also work instead of wood screws? They came with my track ball, and worked nicely.

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2016, 09:54:29 pm »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:14:06 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2016, 03:15:54 am »
Or you can mount them underneath with these:
http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=70&products_id=317

Threaded inserts like those are defintely better in MDF than wood screws.

More info here in the FAQ under "Threaded Inserts".

Scott

Montani

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2016, 06:23:46 am »
Or you can mount them underneath with these:
http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=70&products_id=317

Threaded inserts like those are defintely better in MDF than wood screws.

More info here in the FAQ under "Threaded Inserts".

Scott

Those will work perfect thanks! I can save my lexan and graphic.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2016, 11:36:30 am »
Noted for my next build!
I think the biggest lesson here is to post your ideas earlier BEFORE you cut and especially BEFORE you order and apply the artwork and lexan.  Big $$ saved for your "next build".

I will say that option 3 is the best to fix it with.  I made the same mistake with angled joysticks on my first build but luckily I had mounted them from underneath.  So it was an easy fix to make them straight.

Good luck!

D
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

Montani

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2016, 11:47:29 am »
Noted for my next build!
I think the biggest lesson here is to post your ideas earlier BEFORE you cut and especially BEFORE you order and apply the artwork and lexan.  Big $$ saved for your "next build".

I will say that option 3 is the best to fix it with.  I made the same mistake with angled joysticks on my first build but luckily I had mounted them from underneath.  So it was an easy fix to make them straight.

Good luck!

D
Thanks for the advice. I never dreamed I would build a machine. All my other machines are as original as I could make them. I finally ran out of space in my basement arcade and just had too many games that I wanted and could never find. My 11 year old son is the one who talked me into it. So far it has been a great experience for both of us. I sincerely want to thank everyone on this forum. With your help, I am able to pass on my arcade and pinball passion to the next generation who never truly got to experience them like we did!

Brizzle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 16, 2017, 07:13:27 pm
  • I love designing custom graphics. Need some?
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2016, 11:56:37 am »
In the end, do what you think you'll enjoy, but even with some of the rough words from people, their knowledge is solid.  You MUST fix that joystick orientation, or else you'll hate it.  PaigeOliver nailed the solutions, as did others, and I learned a new way to do that, too, today.  If you need help with graphics, I'm swamped, but I do that stuff. 

I'm still fairly new to arcades, 1 1/2 years, though I became obsessed!  The idea to post designs and ideas is smart, on paper, but there will always be jerks who will pick it apart.  If you're prepared to take the valuable criticism, along with the positive and negative wordings, you'll be better off!  That said, enjoy this arcade.  It doesn't have to be your last, and with any creative design, you'll always think of something to add to it, or make it better... It's ok.  just be sure to step back, appreciate your hard work, and then get in and USE IT!  I spend time building, modding, etc and barely play.. but that's mostly because I need to finish my basement (walls, carpet, friends lol).

Keep posting your developments, please.

Montani

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2016, 12:05:18 pm »
In the end, do what you think you'll enjoy, but even with some of the rough words from people, their knowledge is solid.  You MUST fix that joystick orientation, or else you'll hate it.  PaigeOliver nailed the solutions, as did others, and I learned a new way to do that, too, today.  If you need help with graphics, I'm swamped, but I do that stuff. 

I'm still fairly new to arcades, 1 1/2 years, though I became obsessed!  The idea to post designs and ideas is smart, on paper, but there will always be jerks who will pick it apart.  If you're prepared to take the valuable criticism, along with the positive and negative wordings, you'll be better off!  That said, enjoy this arcade.  It doesn't have to be your last, and with any creative design, you'll always think of something to add to it, or make it better... It's ok.  just be sure to step back, appreciate your hard work, and then get in and USE IT!  I spend time building, modding, etc and barely play.. but that's mostly because I need to finish my basement (walls, carpet, friends lol).

Keep posting your developments, please.

Well put. I'm definitely fixing the sticks, thanks to the options provided. The carriage bolts will remain, but they will be false anchors. I'm going to mount it from underneath. I just need to use the router and expand the hole underneath so I can spin the joystick. I already ordered the screw in anchors.I will keep everyone updated. I'm certainly open to criticism. Without it, I wouldn't get better. Thanks

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2016, 12:06:57 pm »
This post also really has me wanting to build a 19" dedicated Friday the 13th cabinet, but I already have a it on my Playchoice machine so it would sort of be a duplicate.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2016, 12:08:44 pm »
I'm certainly open to criticism. Without it, I wouldn't get better. Thanks

Let me quote that for posterity.

You're all right. You need anything, you let me know.

Montani

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2016, 12:11:03 pm »
This post also really has me wanting to build a 19" dedicated Friday the 13th cabinet, but I already have a it on my Playchoice machine so it would sort of be a duplicate.

If you do send me a message! I would be stoked to see it!

Montani

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2016, 12:16:25 pm »

I appreciate it! Thanks!

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2016, 12:18:53 pm »

I appreciate it! Thanks!
I just wish more people shared that view. :cheers:

sealcouch

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2023, 09:28:56 pm
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2016, 01:40:55 pm »
Love this. Can't wait to see it finished.

Montani

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2016, 01:50:02 pm »
Thanks! My tribute to a game that forever got me hooked.

Aceldamor

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2019, 05:10:51 pm
  • You know you hear the music in your head...
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2016, 01:56:28 pm »
This is going to be fun to watch!
Fuzzy Wuzzy was a woman!

sealcouch

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2023, 09:28:56 pm
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2016, 02:12:10 pm »

Awesome. I've been considering a cab based on Toxic Crusaders. Easily my favorite NES game.

Montani

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2016, 02:57:02 pm »

Awesome. I've been considering a cab based on Toxic Crusaders. Easily my favorite NES game.
Great game. You could do an awesome color scheme with this game. I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't like the theme I went for, but I wanted to do a game I loved that was never commercially put on an arcade.

Montani

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2016, 04:52:07 pm »
I used the router to cut out my inlay for the joystick today. This will correct my angled joystick boo boo. I have 1/4" of wood left to mount the joystick. Does anyone know if this is enough wood to use the expanding inserts for the underneath mount?

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2021, 12:21:09 pm
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2016, 04:55:25 pm »
Does anyone know if this is enough wood to use the expanding inserts for the underneath mount?

Sorry bro, doesn't look like it from the picture. Typical inset screws are 1/2 deep. You are going to be cutting it very close at least.
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:14:06 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2016, 06:21:04 pm »
I have 1/4" of wood left to mount the joystick. Does anyone know if this is enough wood to use the expanding inserts for the underneath mount?
Even if it is workable, 1/4" is cutting it WAY too close -- give yourself more room for error.

Check out "Under mount (support blocks)" here in the FAQ.

EMDB uses 10 threaded inserts :o , but 4 is plenty.   ;D

You can also use 2 bars instead of a square plate.

Scott

Montani

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2016, 06:54:49 pm »
I have 1/4" of wood left to mount the joystick. Does anyone know if this is enough wood to use the expanding inserts for the underneath mount?
Even if it is workable, 1/4" is cutting it WAY too close -- give yourself more room for error.

Check out "Under mount (support blocks)" here in the FAQ.

EMDB uses 10 threaded inserts :o , but 4 is plenty.   ;D

You can also use 2 bars instead of a square plate.

Scott

Great resource! Thanks. Gives me more options.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2016, 06:57:37 pm »
How much was that sheet of MDF that you used?

Montani

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2016, 07:12:12 pm »
How much was that sheet of MDF that you used?

5/8" MDF was like $8.00

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2016, 07:12:55 pm »
I will send you 10 bucks via PAYPAL If you want to start over on that. I think you got good ideas, and now that you know a bit more, it's time to start over.