Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Raspberry Pi  (Read 1172 times)

jimmer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 06:03:11 pm
  • I want to play Defender like at the arcade.
Raspberry Pi
« on: January 22, 2016, 05:29:53 pm »

I'm trying to work out if a Pi2 or PiZero will run the old games I like (Defender,Robotron,Galaxian) well.  Whether it will run Mortal Combat 4 is another question that I don't care about, just the simple early games for now.

I want (obviously ?) super low lag, correct speed and non-tearing.

Some of the stuff on lag testing I read gave me the impression that linux is bad for input lag, but I don't know if that was a universal statement.

I think you Groovy guys are the ones to ask, as you know and care about these things.

cheers,

PS. I've not used Pi or linux before, but I would if I was reasonably sure the result would be OK.
On forums jimmer speaks for himself as a Defender fan, not as proprietor of www.jbgaming.co.uk  << Is that advertising or disclosure ? or both ?

jimmer

• Offline Offline
Re: Raspberry Pi
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 05:31:05 pm »
I'm sensing a lack of interest in the PI from the groovy gang.

I would go and ask in the Pi forums, but somehow it feels like trolling to ask them about game speed and lag :)
On forums jimmer speaks for himself as a Defender fan, not as proprietor of www.jbgaming.co.uk  << Is that advertising or disclosure ? or both ?

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 05:42:11 pm »
As far as game speed, the Pi B+ will run the classics at full speed just fine.  Not sure about lag though.  I'm not a super purist, but I didn't notice any problems for what it's worth.

R-Typer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 04:06:30 pm
  • C64 Rulez!!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 06:03:50 pm »
Pi2 is able to emulate an amiga 1200 computer. This is very demanding machine to emulate. So you will be fine as far as cpu power is concerned.

About the lag thing I really dont know... I guess your lcd/hdtv will probably have more input lag than the emulation on pi2.

jimmer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 07:11:49 pm »

yeah,  Im sure speed isn't a problem for running the classics at 100%.

But for frame delay you want 400%+ and 1000% is nice. That gives you up to  15ms input lag improvement (average 7ms?).

I have an NEC monitor which was rated excellent on displaylag, so thats around the 10ms delay mark. And my Dells don't feel any slower than the NEC.

I was going to try the Pi until I read the groovymame/cade lag testing threads, which gave me the impression that the best linux setup was (surprisingly)  1 or 2 frames behind the windows setup.

I was hoping someone knew of a Pi setup that was low lag.