Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Leaf Pro or Dominux8?  (Read 4219 times)

Mr. Peabody

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2019, 02:30:42 pm
Leaf Pro or Dominux8?
« on: January 19, 2016, 09:40:04 pm »
I was finally getting around to purchasing a Dominux8 and then remembered the Leaf Pro. There's a tremendous price difference. What are the performance and feature differences?

http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65&products_id=365

http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65&products_id=407
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 12:35:03 am by Mr. Peabody »

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 03:49:06 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
Re: Leaf Pro or Dominux8?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 09:18:08 am »
Haven't tried either and didn't know that Randy had two options, but a Wico-like grommet would be the deciding factor for me. Controls are all about the feel and I'm an old-school Wico fan/hoarder.
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 03:06:11 pm »
Yup.  The gromett is what the difference is for a "Wico replica feel".  I own 4 Dominux 8's and I don't regret it.  However, I have the 8 way versions for my Total Carnage/Smash TV and Robotron needs.

Also, the Dominux 8's (I found this to be true for me at least) are awful for Street Fighter type games.  It's almost impossible to pull off quarter circle moves.  But for any other game they feel nice!

D
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 03:15:48 pm »
Impossible to tell you unless we know what it's going into and what games it will be playing.

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:51:50 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 11:30:53 am »
Also, the Dominux 8's (I found this to be true for me at least) are awful for Street Fighter type games.  It's almost impossible to pull off quarter circle moves.  But for any other game they feel nice!

I think much of how well they do for a particular type of game, will depend on the adjustment of the leaf switches.  What works great for one type of game, may not work well for another, and vice versa. 

The normal switch adjustment of the stick as shipped, is to provide a well balanced, but sensitive, actuation of all 8 directions.  This is optimal for most 2-way and 8-way classic titles, to include shmups.  Sticks used in fighting games tend to have a bit smaller diagonal zone, and longer throw before actuation, which can be accomplished with the Dominux by adjusting the leaf switches to actuate a bit further out in the throw of the stick.  For machines dedicated to a particular genre, or title, the switches should be adjusted to provide optimal gameplay for that type of game.  For a "do all" machine, the installer will need to find a compromise which does well for all games, with perhaps a bit of emphasis on the titles most often played.

Some fighting game players like to ride the physical restriction surface when doing circular moves.  For these folks, a throw limiting circular restrictor may be helpful, and is something I am working on.  The "mild" 8-way restrictor may also benefit these players, as it provides some positional feedback, but the feel may not be acceptable to them.

The length configuration also plays a part in the throw before actuation, so a bit of experimentation before final installation will go a long way in making them ideal for a particular installation.

Xiaou2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 01:31:11 pm »
Leafs are made for older classic and Pinball games   (IE: Robotron,  Black Knight 2000)
Micros are mainly for fighters                                     (IE: Streetfighter II)

Trying to make adapters for a Microswsitch based fighter stick to play classics...
is like cutting 6 inches off a heavy winter boot,  and calling it a running shoe.

We have different gear,  for different applications:

Formal Dress shoes,
 Casual dress shoes
 sneakers
 sandals
 winter boots
 hazard / fishing / hunting boots  (waterproof rubber. high length. seamless)
 fashion boots
 work boot
 orthopedic shoes
 dancer shoes
 tap shoes
 slippers
 steel toe shoe / boot
 snowshoes
 cleats
 high heels

Do you use a baseball bat to play a round of golf?

There is no reason to try to make converters.   
 Pick the right tool,  for the right job.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 01:58:57 pm »

It's easy to have several pairs of footwear :dizzy:.  Not so easy to have every original control on a panel for each game which might use them, or many dedicated panels and cabinets.

But do feel free to post a photo of your attempt at such an endeavor, to let folks decide which route they would rather take.

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 02:03:56 pm »
But do feel free to post a photo of your attempt at such an endeavor, to let folks decide which route they would rather take.

Randy just won BYOAC ... and he owes me a new keyboard!

HA!

behrmr

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2021, 09:17:13 am
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 02:22:36 pm »
I was finally getting around to purchasing a Dominux8 and then remembered the Leaf Pro. There's a tremendous price difference. What are the performance and feature differences?

http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65&products_id=365

http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65&products_id=407

Keep in mind the leaf pro doesn't have a standard mounting pattern if that matters to you.

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2016, 03:35:23 pm »

It's easy to have several pairs of footwear :dizzy:.  Not so easy to have every original control on a panel for each game which might use them, or many dedicated panels and cabinets.

Another attempt to attack me personally.   Nothing new.

Actually, footware takes up quite a bit of space, especially with a large family.   
The thing is... having many froms of footware is a necessity.

But lets apply your screwed Logic towards this... and see where it really goes...

You intend to introduce a converter,  that will eventually make both game type experiences Worse.
Or a separate converter, that will most likely be installed permanently, and cant easily be swapped.

I guess you were not paying attention to all of the Criticisms of another Vendors multi-functional magnetic stick...  with its many optional parts...   whom people have eventually come to replace them with standard (and cheaper) equipment.

But hey, go ahead and make your Poop-Stick.   Reduce gameplay to stink on every possible platform.

Thats far better than buying two different originally purposed controllers...  uhh...   Not.

Instead, they will just end up buying 3 sticks.   Selling or burying the poop stick... then getting the correct controllers, as they realized they should have in the first place.

Infomercial Coming soon:   the  Multi-Dootie-Shoe
Dont have room for two pairs?   Now you can wear the Dootie Shoe,   and stink at everything.   (except minor space savings)

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2016, 03:45:51 pm »
Steve -- this thread is about what appears to be the best Wico replacement I have seen. Randy did that.

You, OTOH, built something described as "there is ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- like this that you have to take tainted meth to come up with" which applies with equal favour to your shoe analogy.

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2016, 03:56:06 pm »
Which person's creation wound up on CrapMAME again? ;)

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2016, 03:57:16 pm »
Another attempt to attack me personally.

Not sure where you saw a personal attack in what I wrote.  I've been trying very hard to avoid it, in fact.  But sometimes, for the sake of others, something needs to be identified for what it is.

As for the Dominux stick, I will not defend it (but I will try to help users to get the most from it.)  Not only do I not feel the need to, I feel that's something which is up to it's users.  Here's the most recent unsolicited review submitted to our site, from one who knows what they are talking about and has put it to the test:

My high score in Robotron is 4.8 million on default settings, 1 million on difficulty 10. The Dominux8 is the best joystick for playing Robotron that I have tried so far. I purchased the long shaft version, which is longer than the Wico joysticks in Robotron arcade games. The extra leverage of the Dominux8 long shaft joystick allows you to use light fingertip pressure to control the joystick. I use a gel wrist rest which is made for keyboards to rest my wrists and to elevate my hands as I manipulate the joysticks. You can adjust the leaf switch spacing by pushing the leaf switches inward toward the joystick shaft with your fingers to get the hair trigger responsiveness which is necessary for playing Robotron. I also recommend getting the optional Hand-Candy joystick ball top which is slightly larger than the default economy ball top and feels more like a Wico ball top.

You don't have to believe him, but from what I can tell, he seems to be a happy camper.  And that makes me a happy camper :)

« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 04:03:01 pm by RandyT »

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2016, 04:03:11 pm »
I wonder if Xiaou has figured out that we are talking about leaf sticks yet.  ::)

xefned

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 07, 2021, 01:28:30 pm
  • Unearthing ancient threads is my special skill.
    • Matthew's projects
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2016, 10:21:51 am »

I will splurge for the Dominux8 next time. I have a pair of leaf pros and they're good but something is lacking in the feel. Also the LeafPro has a round center disk that edges above the plane of the mounting plate so they couldn't be mounted flat against a metal panel without modification.

The quick disconnect side of the leaf switches is very thin and bends easily so you may need to loosen up your quick disconnects a bit.

Its a big price jump for the Dominux8 but I suspect in the long run, you'll be glad you splurged.

Searching for Zwackery, not because it's rare, because it's fun.

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2019, 02:30:42 pm
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2016, 02:27:46 pm »
Cheffojeffo, Delsulsional29, and xefned gave the kind of answers I'm looking for. Randy didn't talk about the Leaf Pro.

@xefned: the Leaf Pro pictures at GGG shows the disc and mounting screws to be recessed in the base. Yours was different?

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2016, 03:04:32 pm »
@xefned: the Leaf Pro pictures at GGG shows the disc and mounting screws to be recessed in the base. Yours was different?

I can answer that one for you.  The 8-way version is as pictured, with the support ring recessed into the base.  The 4 and 2-way versions have an additional restrictor plate, which raises the depth profile by ~.050" (< 1/16")

This can be accounted for by routing a shallow pocket in that area of the underside of the panel, or using a couple of washers on each mounting bolt, placed between the top of the Leaf-Pro base and the underside of the panel.

boudin4evr

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 07, 2021, 12:13:26 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2020, 11:10:38 am »
I am an avid Donkey Kong Player and gaplus and few other 4 and 8 way games. I am running the Arcade SD board in vertical mode and my control panel
has 8 way joystick (unknown brand AND Bat top) plays ok hate the bat 3 fire buttons and also a trackball for those games as well.
I mainly play the classics pac man Gaplus ms pac dig dug frogger dig dug 2 Gaplus galaga's  etc which are 8 way and 4 way sticks.
I am on the fence as to what joystick. I am leaning towards the Dominux 8 with restrictor (don't know which one to go with and short option because my CP is steel

*anybody out there play lots of DK and other 4 AND 8 way games on this stick?
thanks

boudin4evr

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 07, 2021, 12:13:26 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2020, 12:50:52 pm »

RANDY T are you there?

I am an avid Donkey Kong Player and gaplus and few other 4 and 8 way games. I am running the Arcade SD board in vertical mode and my control panel
has 8 way joystick (unknown brand AND Bat top) plays ok hate the bat 3 fire buttons and also a trackball for those games as well.
I mainly play the classics pac man Gaplus ms pac dig dug frogger dig dug 2 Gaplus galaga's  etc which are 8 way and 4 way sticks.
I am on the fence as to what joystick. I am leaning towards the Dominux 8 with restrictor (don't know which one to go with and short option because my CP is steel

*anybody out there play lots of DK and other 4 AND 8 way games on this stick?
thanks

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2020, 01:33:54 pm »
What is it with people bumping years old threads lately?  The last post to this thread was in 2016.... I doubt anybody still has it subscribed.