Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Act Labs PC USB Lightgun with ZSNES?  (Read 3925 times)

adonis_minus_20

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2020, 02:32:20 am
Act Labs PC USB Lightgun with ZSNES?
« on: January 12, 2004, 12:38:08 pm »
Hi all,

Has anyone been able to get the act labs pc usb gun to work with ZSNES for windows?  I've been trying to get it to work with the super scope games or Lethal Enforcers I, but with no success.  It seems that the mouse will react and work fine in these games, but the gun does not respond correctly.  Every shot I take puts the target crosshairs in a far corner of the screen.  When I try to play these games, I enable the appropriate stuff in the add-ons menu under config.  I'm also using the most recent WIP build, and calibrate the gun after launching each game.

Also, I use the gun with FCE Ultra for the old NES gun games, and the gun works great, but will only work with the emulator running in a window.  I just want to be able to get the window to be the full size of my desktop (with the video stretched to fit of course), but the window multiplier size when set to 3 is too small, and at 4 is too big and cuts off part of the screen.  Is there any way to get this full screen in a window?

I've looked around quite a bit for answers to these questions, but have come up with nothing, so I look to you BYOAC experts!

Thanks.

Jim

gork

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2006, 05:04:46 pm
  • Jumping is useless!
Re:Act Labs PC USB Lightgun with ZSNES?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2004, 02:26:17 pm »
The emulators are switching the video modes and ruining the calibration of the gun. Try recalibrating the gun after the game loads up. If it still doesn't work, try making the emulator use a higher resolution video mode. You might have to turn on scaling or something, but it's likely that it would make your gun work.

Although perhaps a little offtopic, but also a little on-topic.. The SNES Super Scope was not a lightgun -- it located the aiming point by means of infrared or some other technology (I can't find the details online). This let it work with all sizes and types of displays.

Likewise, I don't remember most arcade games screens flashing when a shot was fired. Obviously they were not using regular light guns either. Why can't someone make a gun using this technology that works with PC's? Sure, I know it'd be probably be really expensive (at least compared to something like the act-labs gun) but I would jump right on it!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2004, 02:30:25 pm by gork »

Lilwolf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2004, 05:34:34 pm »
I believe it was a lightgun.

It used the box on top of the tv to send the data back to the game (and probably to trigger the flash).

but I haven't had one for years now... so it's hard to test it out.

TalkingOctopus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 06, 2023, 03:39:02 am
  • @!#?@!
    • My Arcade
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2004, 10:34:48 pm »
A superscope link - http://www.nintendoland.com/home2.htm?snes/access.htm.

I thought it was a light gun too.  A quick search revealed this:

During the SNES' reign, Congress scheduled hearings on violence in games. Nintendo tried to say they were "family oriented" but after being shot down by congress about their bazooka like light gun the Super Scope 6 and the lack of popularity for the bloodless Mortal Kombat, Nintendo removed the restraints on violence and worked with others on creating a video game rating system.

crashwg

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 24, 2019, 11:01:05 am
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2004, 10:37:05 pm »
I'm pretty sure it's a light-gun.  I tried to check, but this is as far as I got due to the funky screws nintendo uses.  Doesn't realy make sense why they only used 2, but oh well.
If there's bees in the trap I'm catching em
By the thorax and abdomen
And sanding the stingers down to a rough quill
Then I dip em in ink, and I scribble a bit
But if it they wriggle then I tickle em until they hold still
Lemme say it again
In my land of pretend
I use bees as a mf'n pen

adonis_minus_20

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2020, 02:32:20 am
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2004, 02:19:37 am »
After messing around with this for a bit, I was able to figure this out!  The SNES's, or rather ZSNES's, handling of the Super Scope and Lethal Enforcers gun input is done in such a way as to make it incompatible with the Act Labs PC USB Lightgun (it must handle the mouse input in a relative manner as mentioned on their site of other games that are incompatible with it, e.g. House of the Dead, Virtua Sqaud/Cop 2, etc).  I have the PC Automag gun, which is an older offering from Act Labs.  When using this gun with ZSNESW, and initially using the mouse to calibrate after loading a game, and then calibrating using the gun's calibration feature, the gun works perfectly!  It is so cool that I can finally play these gun games for the SNES!  I posted something before about this gun:

http://www.arcadecontrols.org/yabbse/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=11932

It is quircky, but it now lets me play House of the Dead, Virtua Squad/Cop 1 & 2, Die Hard Trilogy, and some other games, along with the SNES gun games!  I'm very excited about this, although it's probably more of a yawn for the rest of you.  I figured I'd post this for anyone else who may want to do the same.

I still don't have any answers for the FCE Ultra window problem.  If anyone comes up with something, please post it.

Jim

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:57:06 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2004, 04:42:16 pm »
Well as zsnes is open-source the proper thing to do would be to convince the devs to add act-labs support or get someone to do it.  I recently added it to my fe and it took a whole 3 lines of code. ;)  Basically remove relative "nudging" and adding absolute position polling.