Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Hokuto Cabinet 4 player my project  (Read 1977 times)

ipercade

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2022, 09:54:55 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Hokuto Cabinet 4 player my project
« on: September 20, 2022, 05:27:06 pm »
Hello everybody
this is my hokuto themed 4 player designed cabinet
You like it?
video you tube:

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
Re: Hokuto Cabinet 4 player my project
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2022, 09:03:18 pm »
Angled sticks... In 2022...

Do people even read this forum?
%Bartop

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:33:55 am
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2022, 11:38:45 pm »
I like the music.

Nice artwork.

Well done on the dynamic marquee.

Now the tough questions.

Am wondering... what games would you play that need 8 buttons for players 3 & 4?

Have you considered a dedicated driving games cab? I've done a bolt-on arrangement like yours for a standing cab, and it kinda loses the feel.

Won't you get a sore back or sore arms from leaning forward to use the 4-way joystick? Gaming ergonomics is important if you want to avoid injury/pain.

You could put up a cardboard bezel or something to cover the "SAMSUNG" brand on the LCD. You could put some instructions or art there.

Sorry if these things seem fussy, but they are common issues especially for people that want to do everything with just one cab. They get called "frankenpanels" because everything is bolted on, and where everything is compromised so you can have... everything!

Beauty is form fitting function. If there are too many functions, form fitting is hard.

I know, you probably only have room to one cab. However, the issues remain.

But don't listen to me. It is a nice looking cab and well done.

Thanks for sharing.
Check out my completed projects!

ipercade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2022, 05:48:55 am »
Hi, for 8 button games there are 4 player pc games that require more buttons and the awesome ROCKIN'BLISS, the samsung logo I covered it with a sticker if you see in the following videos.
For driving games the steering wheel is installable

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2022, 06:10:15 am »
Cool  8)  I like your enthusiasm.

I am thinking you probably won't bother with the wheel much - might find you prefer to play those driving games on a dedicated cab, or even sitting at a desk. But maybe you'll prove me wrong :D

Most people on this forum are interested in the build processes, specs and methodology (how you did it) at least as much as the final pics. So maybe you could talk a bit more about that.

Cheers  :cheers:

ipercade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2022, 06:29:30 am »

what's wrong with the inclined station?
In fact, I discovered the forum yesterday and I built the cabinet 2 years ago ...

ipercade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2022, 06:32:03 am »
Cool  8)  I like your enthusiasm.

I am thinking you probably won't bother with the wheel much - might find you prefer to play those driving games on a dedicated cab, or even sitting at a desk. But maybe you'll prove me wrong :D

Most people on this forum are interested in the build processes, specs and methodology (how you did it) at least as much as the final pics. So maybe you could talk a bit more about that.

Cheers  :cheers:

The coin-op I projected in 3d and made of cnc, graphics I modified and printed in pvc.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:47:02 pm
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2022, 01:07:44 pm »

In fact, I discovered the forum yesterday and I built the cabinet 2 years ago ...
The joysticks should be aligned with the screen, not the player.  It is ok for the player to stand at an angle and for the buttons to be at an angle, but the joystick should be aligned with the screen so the character goes in the same direction the joystick is pushed.

ipercade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2022, 01:13:52 am »

The joysticks should be aligned with the screen, not the player.  It is ok for the player to stand at an angle and for the buttons to be at an angle, but the joystick should be aligned with the screen so the character goes in the same direction the joystick is pushed.

Interesting this thing, I have seen that roductors like Megacade keep putting them at an angle.
I'll do some tests anyway for my next project

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2022, 01:59:43 am »
Don't do another 4-player cab (you already have one).

I suggest you look at something else. A single-player cab with single joystick would be better for many games, and most joysticks have 4-way and 8-way restrictor options. A trackball cab. Dedicated cabs are best, but you could combine the single joystick and trackball into one single-player cab and tick off both boxes at once. I know you have those on your mega-panel already, but a this would be neater and better and you can then dedicate the 4P cab for multiplayer gaming.

A dedicated Shmups cab would be nice. Single player only and a vertical CRT screen would be my preference!

Driving cab is another option. However, a full cab (with cockpit) will take up a lot of room. Many people just make do with screens on a table + driving controls. Then  they can easily put it away in the cupboard when done.

There are many options, especially once you start looking at alternative control systems like 49-way joysticks, spinners, lightguns, etc.

You can always come here for advice. As always, you can ignore it if you choose :D

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:47:02 pm
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2022, 07:59:54 am »
I have seen that roductors like Megacade keep putting them at an angle.

People who are trying to make quick money are more concerned with making it look impressive to potential buyers than they are with setting the games up to play correctly.  Sometimes this also includes people building as a project to post on social media, which unfortunately other people end up copying.

One company made a steering wheel cabinet with my Mala layout(menu) that they took from here.  Someone did a review on youtube and said it wasn't much fun because the controls sucked.  I guarantee the seller didn't change MAME's  huge 30% deadzone or low saturation setting. Sensitivity also needs to be adjusted for each game separately.  They didn't know or care to set the games up properly. Their only concern was advertising that it played a lot of games.

If you are interested in those steering wheel settings, see the stickied driving cab info thread in the driving cab subforum.  You will enjoy the driving games a lot more if they feel right.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 08:02:36 am by BadMouth »

ipercade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2022, 09:48:20 am »
I have seen that roductors like Megacade keep putting them at an angle.

People who are trying to make quick money are more concerned with making it look impressive to potential buyers than they are with setting the games up to play correctly.  Sometimes this also includes people building as a project to post on social media, which unfortunately other people end up copying.

One company made a steering wheel cabinet with my Mala layout(menu) that they took from here.  Someone did a review on youtube and said it wasn't much fun because the controls sucked.  I guarantee the seller didn't change MAME's  huge 30% deadzone or low saturation setting. Sensitivity also needs to be adjusted for each game separately.  They didn't know or care to set the games up properly. Their only concern was advertising that it played a lot of games.

If you are interested in those steering wheel settings, see the stickied driving cab info thread in the driving cab subforum.  You will enjoy the driving games a lot more if they feel right.

I discovered this forum for only three days unfortunately and I saw that it is fantastic!
I will study it a lot and then share my next ambitious project with your experience!

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2022, 12:04:01 pm »

I suspect you have never actually had to be P3 or P4 on your own cabinet, which makes sense since it is your cabinet... but I think if you tried playing there the reason it is wrong would be immediately obvious.

TapeWormInYourGut

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:02:40 pm
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2022, 11:54:50 pm »

I suspect you have never actually had to be P3 or P4 on your own cabinet, which makes sense since it is your cabinet... but I think if you tried playing there the reason it is wrong would be immediately obvious.
I disagree with you there. People who grew up playing consoles with their friends will find it pretty awkward to play if it's not angled.

When you had 4 people around a 25" TV using controllers, P3 and P4 would be off to the sides of the TV. Sometimes we'd stand up and even move around while playing. Everyone related forward with moving Up. As P3, I would not expect to press left in order to move the character up the screen. Well, I've spent 30 years using directions that are relative to body position, so there is really no going back now.

Yeah it makes sense that you press in the direction of the screen, but in practice it's awkward. Besides, I was almost never to the side of the control panel as P3 or P4 when I got to play in the arcades. So pressing up was still relative to body position. My friends and I are all too fat for that now.

So this man made the right choice lol :hissy