Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: GM Update help  (Read 1985 times)

joeblade2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2017, 07:19:58 pm
  • Scanline Generation!
GM Update help
« on: January 13, 2016, 04:55:19 am »
Hey guys, been installing later versions of GM for ages now no issues and decided to make the leap to the new 2.0 CRTEmudriver and VMMaker.

So I have an SFF PC i7 running windows 7 with a ATI4350 into my jpac on my Egret2.

1. I run the setup file from the new 2.0 CRTEmudriver download, it found my card and installed the new drivers no issue, rebooted....no issues.
2. Opened the vmmaker.ini file and made a few small alterations to it ie changing it from generic_15 to CGA, setting the mame path and changing the resolutions path from the standard to the superresolutions.ini path. (I wanted to use super resolutions this time around and noticed you can link directly to an already made file)
3. After saving the vmmaker.ini file I then pressed the edit settings button and changed monitor to Nanao ms9 as I have an Egret2 (I must however admit I normally use Arcade standard resolution 15.7.
4. I then hit the the create modelines button, it found around 600+ and created 120, that was all fine
5. I then clicked the Install modes button, It did without a hitch and was all fine.
6. Finally i went back into GM from the exe file and ran my usual test rom ffight, straight away the screen started rolling and I got the final fight attract screen but with a constant, fast, vertically rolling image.
7. I then came out of it and mame to get back to the desktop but it was still rolling.
8. Did a reboot and now i've got a constantly vertically rolling picture?

I did wonder whether to adjust vertical hold but it''s not on the remote board and would require me to get to the chassis, just wondering if it's anything obvious I've set wrong stupidly.  :dunno
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 06:18:33 am by joeblade2 »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
Re: GM Update help
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 05:36:55 am »
Use latest versions of the tools and GM (beta 5 & fix 6), this issue already fixed.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

joeblade2

• Offline Offline
  • Scanline Generation!
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 06:10:01 am »
Hi Calamity, many thanks, but l did use download beta 5, not sure what you mean by fix6?

For reference, this is the file I downloaded:

crt_emudriver_&_tools_2.0_beta_5_12.6_W.7.8.10-64

Many thanks and sorry for the q's... :notworthy:
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 06:17:11 am by joeblade2 »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 06:40:10 am »
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 06:44:10 am by Calamity »
Steps to create a log:

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

joeblade2

• Offline Offline
  • Scanline Generation!
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 07:15:55 am »
Ok thanks Calamity, im guessing im gonna have to plug back to the vga monitor to sort this as I now can't see what im doing on my egret2.

As my desktop is also fooked now i'll start right from the beginning and follow your guide, apologies for not seeing that sooner.
Im using a low profile card with only one output but i'll have a crack at it....

Many thanks for all your help as always  :applaud:
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 08:04:24 am by joeblade2 »

joeblade2

• Offline Offline
  • Scanline Generation!
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 05:41:06 pm »
Well after hours and hours im giving up on this for tonight.

Downloaded the fix6 version, followed the instructions (best I could from the link considering I only have one connection on my low profile card not two), managed to get it running with 120 video modes, most games seemed ok however r-type and xexex were running slow as dogs (looked interlaced too)

so decided to run vmmaker again but this time it buggered the desktop and I couldn't see anything!!

then i've just been stuck on an endless cycle trying to install the crtemudriver again properly as it went back to defaulting to 4350 Windows WDDC something driver...then everytime I tried to install the new driver it came up trusted source but installed way too quickly and wouldn't show the new 4300-4500 even though it still says test mode in the bottom right hand corner of the desktop?

I keep trying to run vmmaker after I reinstall but it only generates 25 modes and none of them are good for the egret2 desktop.

Im at a loss now on how to install the new emudriver 2.0 as my pc just won't take it now?  :banghead:

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 06:08:23 pm »
Some ideas:

- If you only have one output, make sure to always uncheck the option in VMMaker to extend the desktop automatically.
- Uninstall the default Microsoft driver, from the device manager.
Steps to create a log:

haynor666

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 03:17:30 am
  • retro maniac
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 02:23:39 am »
4. I then hit the the create modelines button, it found around 600+ and created 120, that was all fine

When You are using super resolutions You should not have so many modes. You probably installed using XML generation.

joeblade2

• Offline Offline
  • Scanline Generation!
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2016, 02:41:26 am »
Some ideas:

- If you only have one output, make sure to always uncheck the option in VMMaker to extend the desktop automatically.
- Uninstall the default Microsoft driver, from the device manager.

1. Ok will try the uncheck option but that's further down the road atm
2. I can't uninstall the default driver as two things happen, the driver gets reinstalled automatically on restart and if I uninstall it your driver program can't see a card to install onto.

@haynor666, I'm not even attempting super resolutions now until I have a fully running standard setup, I wasn't using super resolutions anyway as I was trying to follow calamitys guide and super resolutions comes much later.

Thanks anyways guys

joeblade2

• Offline Offline
  • Scanline Generation!
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2016, 09:34:00 am »
Just a quick update on this guys.....so I've decided to go back to the previous crtemudriver build but still having issues......

I can Install the old driver from crt_emudriver_13.1_1.2b_w7_64, I know it's installed because under hardware devices\device manager\display adapters it shows 4300-4500 and when I go to properties\driver it shows calamity's driver.

However, no matter what I do I can only get vmmaker from mame 163 to display 25 modelines when I try a low res setup???

So had a rethink and changed this machine to a VGA setup for now via vmmaker. Surprise, surprise it generated 25 modelines anyway, no idea if that's right! :lol

Anyways all the games appear to be working but horizonal games are appearing a little fuzzy, almost as if theres a filter applied, also there's a shimmering to the backgrounds?
Have I missed something obvious?

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2016, 01:26:17 pm »
Hi joeblade2,

The format of MAME XML changed in version 161. Make sure you download the updated tools in order to deal with the new versions of MAME.
Steps to create a log:

joeblade2

• Offline Offline
  • Scanline Generation!
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2016, 10:47:53 am »
Hi joeblade2,

The format of MAME XML changed in version 161. Make sure you download the updated tools in order to deal with the new versions of MAME.

Are you referring to the post 162. tools like romlister or are you referring to your tools calamity?

Anyways just thought I'd let everyone know that I finally managed to get 120 modelines out of vmmaker on the old version of crtemudriver. Rebooted but still had some issues with finding a useable desktop res, ended up altering an unsupported mode to 640x480i.

All back to normal and all working, will leave my GM setup the hell alone for awhile with just the usual updates to mame and attract mode if I can.... :laugh2:

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2016, 11:57:29 am »
Are you referring to the post 162. tools like romlister or are you referring to your tools calamity?

I meant my tools (CRT Tools), that were updated to deal with those XML changes.

Anyways just thought I'd let everyone know that I finally managed to get 120 modelines out of vmmaker on the old version of crtemudriver. Rebooted but still had some issues with finding a useable desktop res, ended up altering an unsupported mode to 640x480i.

All back to normal and all working, will leave my GM setup the hell alone for awhile with just the usual updates to mame and attract mode if I can.... :laugh2:

That's ok for now, glad you got it back working. But keep in mind future versions of GM will only work in combination with the new CRT Tools, so at some point we'll need to figure out these issues.

Thanks for testing.
Steps to create a log: