Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Squeezed Picture, Test Mode  (Read 1561 times)

quad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 22, 2016, 03:00:59 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Squeezed Picture, Test Mode
« on: January 06, 2016, 03:00:04 pm »
Hi, I've been lurking for some time doing my research while building a cab and I'm almost done.  There are just a few issues I'm having that you guys here would probably know the quick answers for.

Here's my setup:
Windows 7 64bit (because my motherboard wouldn't allow me to install XP 64)
Radeon 4890
Groovymame (latest published)
CRT_EmuDriver (latest published)
Makvision M2929D4-TS monitor

I followed the Win7 Groovymame install guide and selected the M2929 profile for my mame.ini.  I'm also using a user-generated M2929 profile for Arcade OSD.  I enabled super resolutions in VMMaker using the instruction comments embedded in the files.

Issue #1
What I'm seeing is that VMMaker generates a number of profiles, but only two are usable.  Most of the super resolution profiles are squeezed in the middle (some moderately, some extreme).  An example of a moderate squeeze:

I tried to comment out disable most of these resolutions that are squeezing, but sometimes it will select one of two 640x480 modes that perform like in the picture.

The desktop mode in Windows is ok (640x480) and one super resolution is ok but the rest aren't.  Should I be disabling these squeezed modes or is there a bigger problem with my setup?  Is this an adjustment that I can make in Arcade OSD to fix the squeeze?  Once I get that fixed, I'll address the slight overscan with the physical monitor controls.

Issue 2
Should I get out of Win7 test mode?  I followed the instructions on installing the drivers, but Win7 test mode is still on.  In test mode, my joysticks aren't working and I think it's affecting game intro movies as well.  I can't find any part of the install guide that tells me to turn it off, so I've avoided disabling test mode in the command-line until I'm sure my setup is good.  I tried it once before and it wiped out the video drivers so I had to start the install guide over again.

Thanks for any help!

haynor666

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 03:17:30 am
  • retro maniac
Re: Squeezed Picture, Test Mode
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 03:21:20 pm »
You must keep test mode enabled all the time (test mode will be presented in lower right part of screen).

I have problem with intro movie (WMP9 format) in Street Fighter IV - I have to start game right away otherwise game will freeze. Might be related to Yours.