Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: GroovyMAME for Mac OS X  (Read 2683 times)

betelgeuse

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 30, 2015, 08:37:57 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
GroovyMAME for Mac OS X
« on: December 26, 2015, 07:04:35 pm »
Is there such a thing?

If not, are you familiar with another MAME fork that has the input delay fix for OS X?

A while ago I visited a thread on Tetrisconcept by a dude that was trying to build a shmupmame version for Linux, and he eventually succeeded. I followed in his footsteps and after a while I was able to build one for OS X as well, but its performance was terrible and I couldn't figure out why. I dropped it out of frustration.

I'd be eternally grateful to anyone who's able to help me out. Tetris: The Grandmaster 2 is a serious hit and miss without the input lag fix.

Thank you!

donluca

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:00:09 pm
Re: GroovyMAME for Mac OS X
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 04:55:36 pm »
A good question here would actually be: is it possible to have 15Khz output on Mac OS X when using an external monitor?
On a scale of fakeness, from more genuine to more fake, we'd have:

1.- Plastic plants (cf. Fake Plastic Trees)
2.- Inflatable dolls
3.- Arcade cabinets with LCD monitors

Paradroid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 24, 2024, 05:20:15 am
    • SCART Hunter
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 07:50:24 pm »
Just get yourself a cheap Wintel box and join the party! It's a niche hobby already... adding OSX to the requirements list just narrows the range of potential users and contributors even more. Why bother trying to find OSX solutions for all the quirks that people have worked so hard to overcome in Windows? Even if you despise Windows you won't be looking at it when you're actually playing a game.  :)

Sent from my SM-A300Y using Tapatalk

My MAME/SCART/CRT blog: SCART Hunter

philexile

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 30, 2022, 03:45:01 pm
  • I want to build my a GroovyMame PC!
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 11:35:15 pm »
I second that! I'm a graphic designer and use Macs for work – but they definitely aren't suited for this sort of project. Once you get past the whole driver thing (which isn't THAT bad), Windows isn't half bad. :)

betelgeuse

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 05:45:52 am »
There's a working OSX version for MAME called SDLMAME which is updated as soon as new MAME versions come out. I use that for playing Tetris: The Grandmaster, but it doesn't have the input delay fix.

I don't actually care about an external monitor honestly, I just use my macbook for playing Tetris. But after trying on a friend's Windows machine the game with the input lag fix - I was hooked.

I was able with lots of pains to compile my own shmupmame version with the fix, but it was working terribly and I couldn't figure out why...

And trust me if I could easily get my hands on a decent Windows/Linux machine right now I wouldn't be starting this thread. :)

If there's nothing to be done then oh well..

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 07:34:31 am »
Although the frame_delay feature is cross-platform, the whole input lag fix in GroovyMAME depends on the specific OS implementation, instead of hacking the emulation layer.

A low-latency implementation should start with using a native input API, such as RawInput of DirectInput in Windows, instead of relying on a wrapper library whenever possible.

Then, you need to target the frame queues at the driver level.

Finally, you need to make sure that the os is not adding latency by some sort of desktop compositing.

You need a decent understanding of the target system in order to achieve this, and I'm afraid it's not my case with OS X.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

betelgeuse

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 08:37:57 am »
Although the frame_delay feature is cross-platform, the whole input lag fix in GroovyMAME depends on the specific OS implementation, instead of hacking the emulation layer.

A low-latency implementation should start with using a native input API, such as RawInput of DirectInput in Windows, instead of relying on a wrapper library whenever possible.

Then, you need to target the frame queues at the driver level.

Finally, you need to make sure that the os is not adding latency by some sort of desktop compositing.

You need a decent understanding of the target system in order to achieve this, and I'm afraid it's not my case with OS X.

Thanks, I appreciate your input (pun unintended).

It was worth a shot.