Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Would vertical games look OK with a horizontal screen cabinet?  (Read 2903 times)

keropi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 28, 2022, 11:06:35 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Would vertical games look OK with a horizontal screen cabinet?
« on: December 21, 2015, 05:22:55 pm »
Hiya!
Sorry if this has been asked before bu couldn't get a definite answer: how would a vertical game look when used with a vertically-oriented cabinet?
Supposedly we have an arcade cabinet setup that suits horizontal games (like 384x224px) and we use groovymame with it - the cabinet has a real low-res arcade monitor.
Now what would happen if we try to run a vertical 240x336px game on this setup?
Would groovymame scale the image so it would fit in the screen? Will the end result be good? I understand scanlines will be wrong - but you can't have it all.

I found an old-style arcade cabinet with a horizontal setup - most games that I want to use with it are horizontal ones (low res old ones, not fancy high-res/3d stuff) but it would be great to be able to play some vertical classic shmups too. I am just starting to "seriously" investigating how to build the setup so excuse me if something I wrote doesn't make sense  :dunno

Thanks in advance for any help/info!

Sledge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 25, 2022, 05:22:55 am
Re: Would vertical games look OK with a horizontal screen cabinet?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 01:58:20 am »
Depends on the size of screen etc... smaller the screen, the smaller the vertical games will get..
I had a 29" screen mounted horizontally and used to play all my vertical games on that as well, and they were very playable.
But I recently got another cabinet to use as a vertical screen, so now i'm in the process of splitting the games between the 2.

But yeah, Vertical games on horizontal screen are fine..

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:58:35 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 02:04:07 am »
It is completely normal to see stutter on pacman's sprites if you run it rotated on a horizontal monitor, for instance (is this the case?) On the other hand, pacman runs perfectly smooth on its native orientation (and thus, native refresh).

Scott

keropi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 28, 2022, 11:06:35 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 03:36:45 am »
Thanks so much for the replies , now I understand things better
I didn't think about stuttering issues - makes sense there are. It seems that for now I'll have to do with them , I'll consider vertical games as a bonus  8)
The cabinet in question was a MVS one, not sure about the screen size but I doubt it's 29".
Thanks again.

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 08:43:01 pm »
Thanks so much for the replies , now I understand things better
I didn't think about stuttering issues - makes sense there are. It seems that for now I'll have to do with them , I'll consider vertical games as a bonus  8)
The cabinet in question was a MVS one, not sure about the screen size but I doubt it's 29".
Thanks again.

I have an mvs-2-25. They come with 25" screen. Vertical games would appear to have plenty of real estate. However, I have never tried. I have zero interest in non neo geo games.

sean_sk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 06, 2019, 10:27:48 am
  • If quizzes are quizzical, then what are tests?
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 09:27:57 pm »
I run vertical games on a horizontal monitor and there are a couple of things i take into account when doing this. First is resolution of the vertical game and whether it will run in it's native reolution on a horizontal monitor. I have a standard 15khz monitor in horizontal orientation and all vertical games up to 288 lines will run in their native modelines. Anything higher than that and Groovymame will run them in interlaced mode, which means they wont be as sharp.

The second issue is refresh rate. There is a marvellous feature in Groovymame that runs in conjuction with Powerstrip that allows me to get all games up to 264 lines to run at their correct refresh rates. There are other methods (and no doubt more simpler, but i use the PS method because I use an ArcadeVGA and because of versatility) to acheive this. Getting 288 line games to run at their correct refresh rates on a standard arcade monitor is an impossibility as it pretty much runs the monitor way beyond specifications and you risk serious damage.

The game you mentioned would run in interlaced mode by default and definitely wouldnt look as good as native but it would suffice. You could force it to run in a lower progressive res but of course scanlines wouldnt match with games resolution and it could look even worse than interlaced. I've tried forcing a res and results were mixed and mostly looked rubbish.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 09:36:53 pm by sean_skroht »

megamoze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 20, 2024, 10:21:47 am
  • Loving my cabinet, built summer 2015
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 11:48:55 pm »
I have a 24" inch monitor mounted horizontally and the vertical games seem just fine to me.  They're plenty big, no refresh issues, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

haynor666

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 03:17:30 am
  • retro maniac
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2015, 05:07:19 am »
Unscaled images looks ok but due lower frequencies that required I don't recommned it - triple buffer is noticable. Stretched (shrinked  in this situation) image looks really bad on low res TV. Little better option are interlaced resolutions (higher than source one). You can also get exact required frequency.

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2023, 01:46:23 pm
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2015, 08:58:15 am »
Any vertical game with a res above 256, I run in an interlaced mode. I could run games like Pac-Man (288 vertical res) in a progressive scan mode but don't for 2 reasons:
1) 288 progressive can only do a vertical refresh of about 54fps, so the game runs slow when synced.
2) I have my vertical size set to a sweet spot to accommodate all modes I use. 288 progressive displays with a significant top/bottom portion off-screen.

I hardly notice any flicker when playing in interlaced modes. The higher the vertical res, the less flicker is noticeable. I also haven't noticed any stutters in games like Pac-Man. Everything looks as smooth as silk, to me.  :)