Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Can I? Why would I or how can I? Medium Res USB boot for Groovy Arcade  (Read 1231 times)

jtslade

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 24, 2024, 08:02:12 pm
  • Keep it looking originallish!
So the 25" Nanano Arcade monitor in my cab does both 15khz and 25khz.

I am going to use Atom 15 to mod the bios and I'll figure out what Front End is best for normal everyday usage. But I wonder if its possible to turn off the cab/monitor (which is easy) go in the back and switch the jumper wire from 15 to 25khz (also very easy to do)

Pop in a USB setup with my favorite medium res horizontal games (ie Tapper & CrackDown) and start up via a Groovy Arcade USB in order to play just those games. The wife likes to put up records on Tapper (she is amazing at that game). She won't notice the visual difference but I will.

Anyway if I patch the Radeon 4890 bios so that it is both 15khz and 25khz can I tell my XP64bit install to only stay in 15khz?

Just spitballing as I really want to see this monitor in all of its Medium Res glory!

Thank you!
Ms. Pacman Original Cocktail with Non destructive mod to Groovy Arcade Linux with All 4way Vertical Cocktail capable 2 button or less games.

Neo Geo MVS Mame Cab Running Hyperspin, 25" Nanao Arcade Monitor, Mini-pac, ATI Radeon HD 4850 (ATOM-15), IL 8 Way Euro-Sticks from Paradise Arcade, Win XP 64bit, and tons of other junk.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
Re: Can I? Why would I or how can I? Medium Res USB boot for Groovy Arcade
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 09:41:10 am »
The bios resolutions and the ones in Windows are totally independent, so the answer is yes, you can stay in 15 khz in Windows. Actually the only advantage of adding the 25 khz range to the bios is having support for 1024x768 during boot, which is required by some graphic based bioses (uefi).
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

jtslade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 09:59:07 am »
So its safe to select 15khz and 25khz in Atom 15,

how do I tell VMMaker or whatever to only select 15khz resolutions.

I'll setup Groovy Arcade on a USB and set it to only 25khz mode and game list. Which is possible I think (if I remember, its been awhile since I setup the cocktail).
Ms. Pacman Original Cocktail with Non destructive mod to Groovy Arcade Linux with All 4way Vertical Cocktail capable 2 button or less games.

Neo Geo MVS Mame Cab Running Hyperspin, 25" Nanao Arcade Monitor, Mini-pac, ATI Radeon HD 4850 (ATOM-15), IL 8 Way Euro-Sticks from Paradise Arcade, Win XP 64bit, and tons of other junk.

jtslade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 10:00:53 am »
Also does Atom 15 enable the video card / system to boot at 15khz? As in I wont be harming the arcade monitor?

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 11:47:48 am »
how do I tell VMMaker or whatever to only select 15khz resolutions.

Just using a 15 kHz-only preset.

Also does Atom 15 enable the video card / system to boot at 15khz? As in I wont be harming the arcade monitor?

Yes, that's its purpose indeed.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi