Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Has anyone used a Rev Burner  (Read 1743 times)

jaharr01

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 27, 2020, 06:28:16 am
  • Try and fail, but don't fail to try
Has anyone used a Rev Burner
« on: October 25, 2015, 10:18:23 am »
Hey guys I was wondering if anyone has used a Rev Burner board,I was thinking about getting one and trying it. If anyone doesn't know what I'm talking it's a board that allows you hook up a regular tachometer to a board and with certain games like I Racing, Grid, and Dirt. Only sells in Europe as far as I know.
http://www.symprojects.com/shop/rev-burner/url]
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 10:20:42 am by jaharr01 »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 03, 2024, 11:58:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: Has anyone used a Rev Burner
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 12:27:39 pm »
I haven't used one, but my thoughts.....

The advertisement acts as though it is a complex procedure to run instrument clusters... it isn't.  Each gauge is just a stepper motor... some older ones are 12v and they are a pain sure, but newer ones will also run on 5v.  That board runs a single gauge..... a teensy, Arduino or similar device could run an entire instrument cluster. 

I guess what I'm saying is if it was a board that controlled the entire cluster then that would be a reasonable price, but as-is you would spend $100 or more just in electronics or only be able to run a tacho, neither of which are appealing solutions.  Keep in mind it doesn't even have output for a over-rev light. 

jaharr01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 05:29:21 am »
I saw this Howard I thought it would be ideal for that. Would u use aduino or could u use an LED wiz? Could u set it up to use there software? If its too much of a headache I found a 4.5r droid tablet on ebay for $25 to set that sim software.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 03, 2024, 11:58:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 12:35:49 pm »
I'm leaning more towards the tablet route myself.  The reason is the difference in max speeds between games.  Visually you kind of want the speedo to max out when you are going top speed and likewise you want the tacho to travel into the red when it's time to shift.  With the vast difference between the arcade, sim and fantasy games out there that probably isn't going to be possible unless you can display different gauges for each game. 

I was just going to use iDisplay and have mamehooker take care of the gauges, but apparently that's broken in win 10... I'll probably have to write an app eventually.

ledwiz can't handle steppers, at least not easily  Arduino doesn't have built in USB for some ridiculous reason so the teensy is my goto board of choice. 

jaharr01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 10:08:26 pm »
Well prob for sure you would have to use a relay board with an led wiz. LEDWIZ can handle anything 5v thats it. any higher will fry it. I'm with you I think the best option would be the old phone or mini tablet route.
they have these:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Coby-Kyros-Mini-4-3-Inch-Android-4-0-Internet-4GB-Tablet-MID4331-4-BLACK-/161692980679?hash=item25a5a715c7:m:mC-ZNCoalL2bldOSOgYPJfg. Prob single core processor with 4gb ram. Don't know if they will run that software