Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Need tips on color settings  (Read 2268 times)

RSMcClure75

• Trade Count: (0)
Need tips on color settings
« on: July 08, 2002, 09:14:39 am »
   I just got my MAME setup working  ;D , and i am trying to get my tv set up for mame to look good.  I am running on a sony wega, using a GForce with TV-out...the colors are pretty good, but red is bleeding a little and some blues are hard to see...certain levels in centipede, i can't see my bullets!  So, i was wondering if anyone had tips on how to best set colors for mame...i.e. tv settings, windows display settings, etc.
   Also, i've notice some settings i do in windows don't seem to effect the full screen view in mame (like image position) does anyone know why this is and how i can do it.

Thanks,
        BoB
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

Trenchbroom

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 21, 2020, 09:25:43 pm
  • Wampus? Get over here!
Re: Need tips on color settings
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2002, 11:52:15 am »
General hints gleaned from watching this newsgroup too closely over the past year:

1.  Use S-video, not composite (RCA) output.  Makes a world of difference.
2.  Geforce cards are notoriously poor for their TV Output.  You may not ever get it just the way you want it.  If all else fails try ATI (cards made by ATI, not just w/ an ATI chipset) or Matrox cards instead
3.  If you are using hardware stretch through windows make sure you set it up for Sharp graphics effect (in a MAME frontend look in the same place you select fake scanline choices for PC monitors).  This may cause the games to slow down considerably if you have a slow PC.

On my S-Vid TV cabinet it has taken me a long time to get things just right.  You will have to do plenty of tinkering with your TV settings, the software settings for TV output in Windows and the brightness settings within MAME to get your games to look proper.  Even then, unless you are willing to change your TV and card settings manually every time you boot a game, there will still be some games that just don't look right.  

Quick example:  Bump 'N Jump on my computer is almost impossible to see the yellow score information while playing.  If I adjust everything to allow this to look right then 95% of the other games are too dark and the colors are washed out.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

unusualfire

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 15, 2023, 11:23:04 am
  • I want to Build My Own Arcade Controls!!
Re: Need tips on color settings
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2002, 05:38:52 pm »
try switching operating systems that may help too..it helped me greatly..;)