Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Another Photoshop tutorial - quick outlining  (Read 1887 times)

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
Another Photoshop tutorial - quick outlining
« on: October 14, 2015, 03:06:54 pm »
Against the popular trend around here lately, this is not a "Give me free art" thread.  >:D

rablack97 asked me a for a method for creating a bleed-line for a cabinet profile, so I figured I'd share with the class as well.  This method is a quick way of getting properly scaled outlines (rather than trying to use the Tranform tool).

1. Start off with your cabinet profile, in this case we'll use a Joust cabinet:

2. Select the contents of the layer by holding Ctrl+clicking on the layer's thumbnail. You'll notice your mouse cursor will change to an arrow and marquee selection square when you hover over the thumbnail.

3. Under the drop-down menu Select->Modify->Expand...  set how much bleed space you want, for this example I chose 10 pixels.

Result:

4. The Expand function scales-out the selection from the edges, rather than the Transform tool where it scales based on the center pivot point of the selection. The caveat is that it doesn't know how to figure out sharp corners, so what I like to do is take my Polygonal Lasso Tool and (by holding Shift) adding sharp corners to my selection.

You should then have your selection look something like this:

5.Create a new layer, and fill it with whatever colour you want.

6. Add a stroke outline to the new layer by double-clicking the layer's thumbnail to access the Layer Styles. Click on Stroke to add a outline to your layer and set whatever thickness and colour you want.

6. Set the new layer's Fill to 0%  (remember, Layer Opacity is different from Fill.  Opacity will effect the transparency of everything related to the layer. Fill only effects the pixels within the layer, so Style effects are untouched).

And the result is this:

This should be an adequate method for most of your outlining needs. If you need a cleaner line, you could also trace the new layer with the pen tool effectively making a vector shape out of it, and adding the stroke then. 

Hope this helps.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
Re: Another Photoshop tutorial - quick outlining
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 04:48:53 pm »
Should I be the asshat who points out that Joust shouldn't need a bleed?  >:D

Nice work! Some good fundamentals of selections in here that is useful on many levels.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 05:00:44 pm »
Should I be the asshat who points out that Joust shouldn't need a bleed?  >:D
But what if you got an original Joust cab and wanted to MAME it and slather 100+ characters on the sides, or large head shots of street fighter characters? You'll need a bleed then!
 >:D

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:09:41 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 08:09:29 pm »
Genius! I never considered the using the stroke command to do that! Thanks, Opt!
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***