Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New to GM  (Read 1686 times)

springman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2023, 08:04:26 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
New to GM
« on: September 07, 2015, 12:58:46 pm »
I own a Sony PVM and can't wait to get my ATI card and PC configured to enjoy GroovyMAME.

My PVM supports both component and RGBs. May I ask from a supported ATI card (through DVI and / or VGA out) do I just need a VGA-to-component cable (Radeon supports YPbPr natively, I remember)?

What if I'd like to use RGBs?

Do the arcade games looks any different (better or worse) between component and RGBs?

Thanks for your expertise ...

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:59:06 am
  • Quote me with care
Re: New to GM
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 02:30:17 pm »
Component is just as good as RGB for arcade games, but you CAN'T use the native component output from the video card. You MUST use the RGB (VGA) ouput and then convert it to component if that's what you want, by means of an external transcoder.

If your monitor accepts RGBs, go for it.

Buy the cheapest HD 4xxx you find.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

Paradroid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 24, 2024, 05:20:15 am
    • SCART Hunter
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 04:04:48 pm »
Do the arcade games looks any different (better or worse) between component and RGBs?

If you've got the choice, definitely go for the RGBs option. Why introducing the additional encoding/decoding processing of component signalling if you don't need to?
My MAME/SCART/CRT blog: SCART Hunter

springman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 04:16:03 pm »
Component is just as good as RGB for arcade games, but you CAN'T use the native component output from the video card. You MUST use the RGB (VGA) ouput and then convert it to component if that's what you want, by means of an external transcoder.

If your monitor accepts RGBs, go for it.

Buy the cheapest HD 4xxx you find.

Thanks so much for your reply.

Actually I don't really want component, but I just thought GM would use Radeon's component mode. Years ago when I had no HDMI at home, with a X700 I'd output my HTPC through component to my receiver just by a plain VGA-to-component bulky cable without transcoding. So GM doesn't do the same, right?

My PVM's RGB is a standard Sony setup. 4 AV plugs for R, G, B, and Ext. Sync; for each of them I have a AV-to-BNC converter so my JP21 SCART-to-BNC cable can help feed my SFC / MD / Saturn.

I'm a beginner only and I'm not sure how I convert HD15 VGA from the HD4xxx to either RGBs SCART or RGBs BNC. Is VGA-to-RGBs a direct mapping? Or I need a sync combiner or some transcoding too?

Thanks once again.

cyb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 20, 2023, 04:25:20 pm
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 07:00:34 pm »
Hi springman,

As a fellow PVM owner I would recommend getting one of these devices. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Extron-RGB-109xi-VGA-Interface-with-ADSP-55513-/121726713838?hash=item1c577a3fee

It really simplifies the connection between the computer and the PVM. you would simply plug the extron unit's vga cable into the computer, then bnc cables from the output of the extron to the input of the PVM. It has a built in sync combiner. It also has a horizontal centering knob which really comes in handy since on most PVMs you must enter the service menu to make picture position adjustments.

springman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 01:35:25 pm »
Hi springman,

As a fellow PVM owner I would recommend getting one of these devices. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Extron-RGB-109xi-VGA-Interface-with-ADSP-55513-/121726713838?hash=item1c577a3fee

It really simplifies the connection between the computer and the PVM. you would simply plug the extron unit's vga cable into the computer, then bnc cables from the output of the extron to the input of the PVM. It has a built in sync combiner. It also has a horizontal centering knob which really comes in handy since on most PVMs you must enter the service menu to make picture position adjustments.

Thanks so much for your suggestion, cyb.

So I guess I don't have a clean and direct way to feed my PVM?

I always love this Extron thing, but it's not easy to get one in Hong Kong and it means I'll need to find an extra power outlet.

Actually I also own a sync combiner in my Toro that I think will do the job. I need new cable though ...

Thanks!