Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: A suggestion for the NESPi...  (Read 1440 times)

BAMBOO

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 30, 2016, 06:51:20 am
A suggestion for the NESPi...
« on: November 06, 2015, 05:08:15 am »
I've seen a few NESPi's on the forums.  All are amazing and I love the whole concept and hard work people have done.  But I just wanted to throw this piece of hardware out there for the next NESPi project someone might do.

http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=28

Instead of tooling out the controller ports and installing or mounting USB ports, the NES RetroPort above will fit perfectly in the original NES controller port space.
"Every arcade we restore preserves history that we will never experience again..."

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
Re: A suggestion for the NESPi...
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 06:50:20 am »
I do agree with your notion of keeping with original ports, I have original ports on my SNES machine (usb adaptor soldered to leads on original port), but how would you suggest mounting this into the NES? behind the case, those would just be floating midair. Hot glue would come loose after use, and there isn't enough surface area in the front to have an effective epoxy job. With the heavy force needed to push in an pull out the port, something hefty would need to be used to secure it, right?

BAMBOO

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 07:12:13 am »
However they have them mounted in the original NES I would say you could use the same mounting tactic?  I really don't know.  I was just suggesting the ports as an eye pleasing option.
"Every arcade we restore preserves history that we will never experience again..."

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 10:33:55 am »
Oh, I agree with you. Not to mention, anytime you have a usb device and unplug it, you run the risk of the ID order changing when you plug back in. P2 could register to the P1 port, and vice versa. best to just have a usb device permanently plugged in.

But the original ports had a lip in them to naturally hold them into the plastic. Sorry I couldn't find a better pic.

That's why I used the solution of hard wiring the USB adaptor right into the original ports. I didn't need to fumble with remounting new ports in.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 10:36:34 am by Vigo »

BAMBOO

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 01:55:52 pm »
I have a model A NES console with a new 72 gold pin connector I purchased from ebay back in 2004.  Still works like it is brand new, so I wouldn't dare pull it apart to look on the inside.  And a NES console on ebay for parts is like 20 bucks, I'm too cheap to buy one.  But I would like to do an NESPi at some point.  There has to be a way to mount the RetroUsb.  I have 4 of them for emulation and they work perfectly, and I thought this would be a spot on time to actually use them.

brihyn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 31, 2020, 04:29:27 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 02:42:37 pm »
just throwing this out there....could there maybe be someway to solder wires onto the original in-case connecter, and then to the connectors on this device? you would get rid of the plugging in/unplugging issue, as controllers would still rely on the original connection.
I'm liking the possibility of this if/when I ever get to my own NESPi project.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 03:03:21 pm »
Well, if I were to attempt, I would most likely try make some sort of mounting frame to support it from the sides. If I were to get fancy, I would cut wood frame, or even go for an all out 3d print of a frame. But because I don't care what the insides of the case look like, I would probably get a stick of that plumbers clay expoxy and wad around the sides of the retrousb to hold it in place.

brihyn's idea sounds better. I would attempt to solder wires to the back of the original in-case connector, and solder terminal pins to the other side of those pins, then use pliers to push those pins into the RetroUSB and make a connection.

severdhed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2022, 04:45:32 pm
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2015, 12:17:54 am »
Oh, I agree with you. Not to mention, anytime you have a usb device and unplug it, you run the risk of the ID order changing when you plug back in. P2 could register to the P1 port, and vice versa. best to just have a usb device permanently plugged in.

But the original ports had a lip in them to naturally hold them into the plastic. Sorry I couldn't find a better pic.

That's why I used the solution of hard wiring the USB adaptor right into the original ports. I didn't need to fumble with remounting new ports in.

i agree,  i did the same thing on my snes pi project.

is is a pretty easy soldering job and keeps the original ports functional.
Current Projects:      Zak-Man | TMNT Pedestal | SNES Pi | N64 Odroid
Former Projects:     4 Player Showcase | Donkey Kong | iCade